Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
The Forums will be unavailable Tuesday, June 25 starting at 9 am ET as we prepare for a major design update!

Share and Tell - New Year's Eve Plans

Replies to: Share and Tell - New Year's Eve Plans

• conmamaconmama Registered User Posts: 4,328 Senior Member
    We rarely do anything, especially now. DH worries the whole night about the boys, especially the 22 year old. He wants to be completely sober in case we get a call or something. Perhaps a little much, but if that is what makes him feel comfortable, then so be it.
  • SalveMaterSalveMater Registered User Posts: 425 Member
    We are all sick at home and DD is on the other coast so no reason to celebrate here, sniff sniff. So we will just go to bed early and save up our strength for the Fiesta Bowl party at a local pub. It's hosted by the California Notre Dame alumni and I can't wait to wear my new gear Santa brought me. Go IRISH!
  • VeryHappyVeryHappy Registered User Posts: 18,589 Senior Member
    We will be going to a friend's for their annual NYE party. It's the same group of people every year, and the women are my first-Saturday-of-the-month breakfast club ladies. We just got together last Saturday for a surprise birthday party for one of our group. So, sort of same-old-same-old, but with people we're comfortable with and know well.

We usually stay until around 12:15, so we can say we made it past midnight.
  • JustaMom5465JustaMom5465 Registered User Posts: 1,654 Senior Member
    While H and I are perfectly happy to stay at home, this year we are actually going out. My bff's husband and a couple of other guys started up a band earlier in the year, and tonight is their first *real* gig, at a local brewpub. I'm a little torn about going out but I'm sure it'll be fun once we're out!
  • abasketabasket Registered User Posts: 19,554 Senior Member
    I know we're the underdogs but great to see the Spartan love on CC!!
  • gosmomgosmom Registered User Posts: 1,948 Senior Member
    Cheering for the Clemson Tigers this afternoon, dinner with about 20 and party afterwards. H & I will probably be home by 12:15, so we can get up and cheer for the Irish tomorrow!
  • winnvanmeterwinnvanmeter Registered User Posts: 87 Junior Member
    DDs will be with their dad and stepmom, so partner and I are milking the last of a kid-free week. Going to Riverside for the Festival of Lights for ice-skating. We decided to stretch out the weekend by staying 2 nights at an Airbnb rather than one night at the Mission Inn. Grilling steaks, and deciding between CNN for Anderson Cooper and Kathy Griffin, or Pitbull's NYE on Fox. Hiking in Idyllwild the next day, and hitting the Ikea in Covina on our way back home on Saturday. (Tip: pick up Ikea's vegetarian meatballs and simmer them in Trader Joe's Masala sauce. Quick "Indian" meal that pairs perfectly with basmati rice or flatbreads.)

D1 and I are enjoying NYE b/c of ED. Would have been a different story entirely had she not gotten in.
  • stradmomstradmom Registered User Posts: 4,982 Senior Member
    It's the annual baked brie, champagne and movies for us. I'll be in my pajamas before midnight but will hang in there. DH will probably have an early night, going to bed after watching the ball drop instead of playing his computer game until 3 AM as he's been doing all week. :)
  • SalveMaterSalveMater Registered User Posts: 425 Member
    ^^Festival of lights = gorgeous
  • 3scoutsmom3scoutsmom Registered User Posts: 5,769 Senior Member
    We'll stay home and enjoy the neighbors fireworks thankfully it's been wet lately and I won't have to run the sprinklers for fear of the lawn catching on fire again. DD will be off babysitting, the boys, DH and I will be making various kinds of fondue throughout the evening (one cheddar, one Swiss, bananas foster, dark chocolate with kirschwasser). Baked brie with cranberries, shrimp cocktail, and of course corn bread and blacked peas. We don't really have a New Year's eve meal we just graze through the night:-)
  • VeryHappyVeryHappy Registered User Posts: 18,589 Senior Member
    Ooooooo -- bananas foster is one of my favorites!!
  • JHSJHS Registered User Posts: 18,351 Senior Member
    We have been going to the same New Year's Eve party for about the past decade, but it's not happening this year because the hosts bought a vacation home a month ago and are spending the holiday there. So we're going to a movie -- not sure which one yet, probably Brooklyn -- and then we have tickets to see a pretty good local indie band do what's becoming their traditional New Year's Eve show.

We haven't done anything like that since NYE 1979-1980, when at the last minute, and having no plans, we tried to buy tickets to see the Grateful Dead at Winterland. The guy ahead of us in line got tickets, but that was it; it was sold out. So instead we saw Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers at the Oakland Coliseum with Chuck Berry (!) and Eddie Money opening.

At 22 and 23, we were among the oldest people in that crowd -- the parking lot was practically empty, because hardly anyone in the audience was old enough to drive at night, or if they were their parents weren't letting them because it was NYE.
  • 3scoutsmom3scoutsmom Registered User Posts: 5,769 Senior Member
    @VeryHappy Bananas Foster is a new fondue for us this year. We're using the recipe from the Melting Pot cook book. I had to hit two different liquor stores to find Banana liquor and got the last bottle at the second store. It also calls for spiced rum another libation not normally found in our house so it gave DH an excuse to buy a funky bottle, Captain Morgan's Cannon Ball Blast, the bottle is round like a cannon ball!
  • PizzagirlPizzagirl Registered User Posts: 40,488 Senior Member
    We have a tradition of going to the same NYE party; it's actually a sleepover, started 20+ years ago when 2 out of the 6 couples were expecting and we didn't want to be out on the road after midnight so we all just crashed and hence a tradition was born. As the kids happened / grew up they were added into the mix til such time as they did their own NYE plans.

However, this year H is doc in the box - in-house call at the hospital. So we are just going to cuddle in the call room, watch a movie and fall asleep and hope he doesn't get called out.
This discussion has been closed.