right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
We’ve got a new look! Walk through the key updates here.

New Year's traditions.

morrismmmorrismm 3382 replies181 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 3,563 Senior Member
Anyone have New Years traditions?

Growing up in NYC, my parents always had to have herring salad on New Year's. Not sure why. We aren't German. My sister, now living in Pennsylvania, always serves pork and sauerkraut on New Year's Day. Can't say H and I actually have any.

Do any of you have traditions? And what are they?
34 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: New Year's traditions.

• NorthernMom61NorthernMom61 4079 replies29 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 4,108 Senior Member
    No longstanding ones. We do, however, live in Asia where New Year's Eve and Day are huge. So for the past four or five years we have gone to this one Asian supermarket and bought a variety of the treats that they have specifically for the New Year holidays.
    · Reply · Share
  • BunsenBurnerBunsenBurner 38243 replies463 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 38,706 Senior Member
    Asian NYE treats! Yum! :) We traditionally have to have some kind of a dumpling! This year it will be Korean Potstickers from Costco with Trader Ming's (lol) potsticker sauce and Siberian Pelmeny from the local Euro deli with butter - I am going with pre-made because I'm already sick of making all sorts homemade dumplings several days in a row. Sauerkraut, lingonberries, herring... Mr. B digs that stuff, so I bought some at the deli.
    · Reply · Share
  • HoggirlHoggirl 1533 replies190 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 1,723 Senior Member
    Black-eyed peas!
    · Reply · Share
  • FallGirlFallGirl 7979 replies27 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 8,006 Senior Member
    Champagne at midnight :)
    · Reply · Share
  • Singersmom07Singersmom07 4094 replies80 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 4,174 Senior Member
    We do a big 6 course New Year's day dinner with family and friends. Pork and sauerkraut are the traditional foods, along with shrimp appetizer followed by a caesar salad with a lemon sherbet afterwards and then the crab soup. After dinner are cookies and pies for desert. We started this first as a way to dress up the traditional pork and sauerkraut dinner and as a way to teach the kids to eat with fancy silverware, china and crystal, multiple courses and sustained conversation. They ran around a lot when they were young but as they got older they sat at the table longer and longer without needing a break, until they graduated to enjoying the entire dinner. It takes several hours.
    · Reply · Share
  • kiddiekiddie 3259 replies209 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 3,468 Senior Member
    My parents have a tradition of eating lentil soup at midnight - supposedly it brings you money in the new year.
    · Reply · Share
  • garlandgarland 15872 replies197 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 16,069 Senior Member
    A New Year's Day walk on the beach. Before we had a place near it, our family would drive down to Sandy Hook in Monnmouth County for a walk on the beach there,then sometimes drive to see some of are favorite spots in the area(H and I grew up there but then moved away), then stop at the local diner we went to as teenagers. Now kids are grown and on their own, it's usually just H and I taking a walk on a Cape May or Del. Bay Beach.
    · Reply · Share
  • FlyMeToTheMoonFlyMeToTheMoon 2889 replies44 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 2,933 Senior Member
    When I was a kid, we always went bowling on New Year's Day. Hated it.

Now we make pork and sauerkraut. Although this year we are bucking the local good luck charm and baking a ham instead.

And then there's football....
    · Reply · Share
  • runnersmomrunnersmom 2137 replies36 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 2,173 Senior Member
    We've had a New Years Day chili fest for about 20 years now. Lots of friends and family, two kinds of chili and football, of course! When I was a kid my grandmother made us all eat dried herring at midnight - not sure why but we dropped that tradition as soon as reasonably possible.
    · Reply · Share
  • dragonmomdragonmom 5834 replies153 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 5,987 Senior Member
    We have to have black-eyed peas for good luck! Our favorite way of fixing them is Hoppin' John. Cook up some diced bacon, pour off the fat and sauté some onions. Add a can of black-eyed peas (we like the ones with jalapeños). Add in cooked white rice. It's better if it sits for a while for the flavored to blend. Yum. I'm tempted to make a double batch and have it for dinner tonight as well.
    · Reply · Share
  • MagnetronMagnetron 2640 replies5 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 2,645 Senior Member
    Wife and kids are up skiing today, so the usual big NYE dinner is unlikely.

January 1 is pajama day in our house. It's a food free-for-all. We will sit in the family room eating off of the coffee table and watching bowl games. Staples include Ruffles and onion dip, Little Smokies wrapped in Pillsbury Crescent rolls, Buffalo-style chicken wings, and, our one tie to traditional New Year's food, pickled herring.

Our two other superstitions, not always followed: wear something new and keep a coin in your pocket.
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity