Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

2016 and beyond wedding moms and dads

Replies to: 2016 and beyond wedding moms and dads

• musicamusicamusicamusica Registered User Posts: 6,468 Senior Member
    edited January 2016
    The restaurant that is catering D's wedding will provide servers and bartenders. We are keeping the drinks down to several non alcoholic choices, one mixed cocktail choice, several wine choices from vinters we know and a local craft beer. Both the ceremony and reception are here but we will provide a shuttle to local hotels for our guests if they require assistance.
  • bookwormbookworm Registered User Posts: 7,730 Senior Member
    My g/f had center pieces made from items that could go to a food charity. They were attractive, and it fit the family's values. I wish I had pictures.
  • abasketabasket Registered User Posts: 16,753 Senior Member
    ^^Sounds so interesting! Like what kind of things???
  • bookwormbookworm Registered User Posts: 7,730 Senior Member
    My g/ f had them professionally done, but I'm sure most of us could duplicate.. They included soup cans and other items that are desirable. I'll see if I can find out. (This friend had a son in Peace corps, other such endeavors).
  • twoinanddonetwoinanddone Registered User Posts: 14,468 Senior Member
    My daughter has been asked to be in 3 weddings in 2016. I'm scared about the cost.
  • college_querycollege_query Registered User Posts: 4,023 Senior Member
    @abasket - when I got married 31+ years ago, my parents rented a large Lincoln Town Car for the extended weekend. They used it to transport out-of-town relatives to/from the airport and my brother drove us from the church to the reception in it.
    ^^^This is not a bad idea! Or a larger van or something - thanks for the idea!

Yes, @dragonmom, join in! Your D must be a sweetheart. <3
  • missypiemissypie Registered User Posts: 18,303 Senior Member
    Son is getting married in May. I SO WISH I could just show up and wear beige. I am more involved than I want to be. It stressed me out just opening this thread.

The latest issue is that the wedding is at 3 pm (time can't be moved) and the bride's family wants the reception to begin at 6 pm. What are people to do in between the ceremony and reception? I feel like I am (very gently) talking to aliens when I talk to them about it because I don't know anyone else who doesn't believe that the reception should be immediately following the ceremony.
    Hugs Missypie! I'll bet you look good in lots more than beige!!! ;)

That dead time inbetween is a toughie. We will have the same thing - although hoping it's not too long. Do they have a wedding page? Can you recommend places to explore in the area inbetween? (I know, a little awkward when they are dressed up) - things like
    local coffee shop
    local park for a drive or walk through
    free art museum
    comfortable library
    local ice cream/smoothie place

Just a few time killer items???
  • missypiemissypie Registered User Posts: 18,303 Senior Member
    edited January 2016
    The wedding is in City A and the reception is in Town B (about 45 minutes away). The folks from out of town who are staying at a hotel in Town B may want to go back to their hotel to freshen up (or even check into their hotel.) However, I think that the guests from City A will just go home/do something else, and not bother to attend the reception.

Also, a huge festival (for which admission is charged) is going on that day in Town B, so all of the cool, unique places to go to kill time will be consumed within the festival site and/or parking will be impossible. I. did not. choose. the. date. (Obviously!)
  • thumper1thumper1 Registered User Posts: 63,859 Senior Member
    @missypie that's not an awful amount of time between ceremony and reception...especially with a 45 minute drive. The ceremony and maybe receiving line won't end until 4 ish. By the time people get their their acts together, it will be 4:30 or so before they even get on the road. Some may go back and freshen up. I wouldn't worry about that.

My kid has been asked to be in one wedding, and to attend two additional ones. She has no money. Don't quite know how all of this will happen, or if it even can.
  • mamabear1234mamabear1234 Registered User Posts: 3,522 Senior Member
    I guess mine is burdening her friends then by having attendants and a bachelorette trip (local winery tour). She and fiance went to at least 3 weddings last year (all his friends) and 2 of her HS friends are getting married this year also. It seems to be the age group.

We have been to many weddings where there was a gap between ceremony and reception. We have never gone home and skipped the reception. We have sometimes shown out of town guests around the town for a few hours. My D is also getting married at 3 and there will be a gap (reception venue has 2 weddings a day - afternoon and evening). I considered whether we should rent a conference room in our hotel to host folks, but decided there is plenty in the town to occupy them.