Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Maintenance will occur on the site beginning at 10:00 am PT tomorrow morning. While it is very unlikely, this may result in intermittent down time. Thank you in advance for your understanding!

2016 and beyond wedding moms and dads

Replies to: 2016 and beyond wedding moms and dads

• twoinanddonetwoinanddone Registered User Posts: 14,493 Senior Member
    My daughter was a bridesmaid in a wedding where she was a friend of the groom. The bride invited D to everything (showers, bachelorette party) but daughter was a college student about 5 hours away and she didn't go to any of the things except the wedding and the rehearsal dinner. I have to say my daughter didn't try very hard to make it to the shower or bach. party (because she wasn't 21 yet). It all seemed like a good idea when she was asked to be in the wedding, but it was really a lot bigger time commitment that D realized. The bride was extremely nice to my daughter, inviting me to the shower too, daughter's boyfriend to the wedding.

She was invited to be in another wedding, and it was a good thing the bride changed her mind and sort of univited her. Daughter was in college, the wedding was Oct 1, it would have cost daughter a fortune to be in the wedding when she didn't have the time or money.

Daughter did learn it is okay to tell the bride she doesn't want to be in the wedding and just be a guest.
  • greenwitchgreenwitch Registered User Posts: 7,332 Senior Member
    5 flowergirls sounds like a blast! Get some photos of them all spinning around in their dresses.
  • doschicosdoschicos Registered User Posts: 14,711 Senior Member
    5 flowergirls reminds me of the royal weddings with all the kids. I love kids in and at weddings.
  • MansfieldMansfield Registered User Posts: 692 Member
    Regarding gender norms in wedding parties...my D recently got married and she had a Man of Honor-her brother and only sibling. They have always been extremely close. S and SIL get along, but they're not fast friends. S helped organize a shower (although he didn't attend), walked down the aisle with the bridesmaids, held her bouquet, straightened her train, etc. He also had some humorous facial expressions while doing this. I think my etiquette-driven mother was biting her tongue big time.
  • mabelmabel Registered User Posts: 49 Junior Member
    D was Son's "best person"at his wedding . She participated in the female events she was able to attend , shower and bachelorette weekend. Bride had her brother as her " best person". D was at our home on the wedding day...breakfast and toast with groomsmen, makeup with me , and family pictures. Same at bride's home.
    Bride included sisters and friends as traditional bridesmaids and my son had close friends as traditional groomsmen.
    Both "best persons" gave toast at wedding ,with the brides brother including his sisters making the toast.

The only local participants were bride and groom, but it all worked!
  • zoosermomzoosermom Registered User Posts: 25,968 Senior Member
    Deb I'm so sorry that happened to your D and to you. It's not a good way for the bride to start treating her new family.

If my D1 marries the current gentleman, as it might now appear, there is a 13 year age difference between the potential groom and the Precious Baby King. My D is shocked by the possibility the PBK might not be a groomsman, but I kind of think he shouldn't be. Of course, it's not my business at all and I will not say a word, but it just feels awkward to me. which is not to say they don't get along. They get along fabulously and share a similar temperament and are golf buddies, but I think the baby would feel out of place in the party.

Question? I hope this is not inappropriate, but for those of you who have purchased wedding cakes, can you give me a sense of what such a thing would cost for a wedding of less than 100 people that isn't super formal?
  • VeryHappyVeryHappy Registered User Posts: 16,869 Senior Member
    I have a cousin who's 6.5 years older than I. She got married at age 21, when I was maybe 14. I was one of her bridesmaids. It was very sweet of her to ask me, but in retrospect, it was also awkward for me. She did include me in a bridal shower, but as I recall, I was very uncomfortable being around all the adults.

It depends on the people involved, I think, as to whether such a thing is a good idea or not.
    @zoosermom I check the websites for wedding cake pricing at some of the better bakeries in my area, an area which isn't as pricey as major cities but not cheap either. For basic wedding cakes, they were quoting $4.50-4.75 per person plus delivery fee. Of course prices would go up for complex and time consuming decoration.
  • zoosermomzoosermom Registered User Posts: 25,968 Senior Member
    Thank you doschicos!
  • scout59scout59 Registered User Posts: 3,166 Senior Member
    ^^ That price looks about right for the bakeries in my D's large Midwestern city, too. Right now D and her fiance are arguing (really -- arguing?!) about traditional wedding cake versus a macaroon-cake-tower. Honestly! Just have them both!
    More dessert would work for me. :D
    @zoosermom, our three tier vegan cake will be $375. I expect NYC would be much higher.

Just have to add, cake tasting day was my favorite prep day so far. Can't decide between chantilly cream and champagne flavored cream? Take another bite!
    How many people does the cake feed, @greenwitch?
    Officially, I'm not sure. But we told her we were expecting a reception for 100. There will be 2 other desserts too.

Their website says $3.75/serving for a buttercream cake, $4.50/serving for fondant. We are having vegan buttercream (bride is lactose intolerant).