right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
We've updated the Topics page of our website to better organize and share our expert content. Read more about it here.

Random Questions

Replies to: Random Questions

• doschicosdoschicos 20881 replies217 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    ^"boiled eggs" uh oh. You opened up that can of worms again. ;)
    · Reply · Share
  • Madison85Madison85 10316 replies408 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Peeling fresh ones is oh-so-easy when they are steamed in the microwave while nestled in the Nordic Ware thingy.
    · Reply · Share
  • BunsenBurnerBunsenBurner 38740 replies467 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Here comes Madison!!! :D

Doschicos, shall we say "opened that carton of eggs"? ;)
    · Reply · Share
  • GnocchiBGnocchiB 2078 replies230 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    edited March 2016
    D'oh! I didn't check this thread over the last 2 days and missed out on the seersucker conversation!! You snooze, you lose. If I may add my $.02:

@greenwitch, that use of seersucker on the men's trunks is deeply upsetting to me. I wish I could unsee it.

@greenwitch, @doschicos, @BunsenBurner y'all might appreciate last year's 25th reunion jacket for the Princeton class of 1990:
    http://asondern.****/post/121000793595/princeton-university-class-of-1990s-25th-reunion

Also shown starting at photo #3
    http://paw.princeton.edu/issues/2015/06/03/pages/7461/index.xml

It kills me that my class cannot possibly have a design as epic as 1990s' seersucker creation.

Carry on with the egg discussion.
    edited March 2016
    · Reply · Share
  • VeryHappyVeryHappy 18482 replies324 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    I have a question about Amazon Prime, of which I am a member.

Sometimes products are "not eligible for Amazon Prime," but they nevertheless ship free. Why should I care? Do I get less of a guarantee??
    · Reply · Share
  • JustaMom5465JustaMom5465 1588 replies81 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    I'll ask again, where's my new "can we stop talking about eggs" button" ;)
    · Reply · Share
  • alhalh 8483 replies47 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    edited March 2016
    I was going to ask about straw handbags and white shoes, but decided against it, since I'm evidently uncomfortable sharing my itinerary.

edited March 2016
    · Reply · Share
  • jym626jym626 55338 replies2878 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    VH,
    I believe Amazon Prime guarantees 2 day delivery, whereas the other free shipping does not, and it could take a while, depending on what shipping method the vendor uses.
    · Reply · Share
  • haydenhayden 4360 replies55 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    WRT caucuses: The caucus is a public vote and does not involve a secret ballot. The concept is the free exchange of ideas and preferences to inform the voters. It actually mimics the eventual party conventions, which likewise are public events without secret ballots. I find caucuses to be strange amd I don't particularly like them, but that's the theory.
    · Reply · Share
  • haydenhayden 4360 replies55 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Now I have a question for any linguists out there. We just visited Ireland for the first time and found it fascinating that the people in the west don't have a "th" sound in their language. For example the number 3 is pronounced "tree". We were wondering is that might be one of the reasons the old NYC accents pronounced lots of words without the "th" sound (e.g., saying an address as "toity toid and toid"). Or is that just a movie thing?
    · Reply · Share
  • greenwitchgreenwitch 8725 replies41 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Very few languages have a "th" sound like English does. I'm sure the many immigrants in NY contributed to the NY accent, including the many Irish immigrants.

I heard in Ireland that most emigrants left from Cork as that was the last stop for many ships heading across the Atlantic (including the Titanic). My NY Irish immigrant ancestors were from Galway though so your theory could very well be right.
    · Reply · Share
  • dragonmomdragonmom 5881 replies154 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Why did I click in that link?
    Now I have a whole banner ad of male seersucker swim trunks. Yikes!
    · Reply · Share
  • BunsenBurnerBunsenBurner 38740 replies467 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    VH, jym is correct about guaranteed free day shipping v. simply free shipping. The latter occasionally means your item will travel by a donkey caravan.
    · Reply · Share
  • GnocchiBGnocchiB 2078 replies230 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Eh, @dragonmom, confuse the interweb a little, just when it thinks it knows what ads to show you...
    · Reply · Share
  • doschicosdoschicos 20881 replies217 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    I'm pretty sure that @dfbdfb is the resident CC linguist, Perhaps he can answer the question in #150.
    · Reply · Share
    @VeryHappy @BunsenBurner - I ordered something from an online site of a chain store. Thought it would be easier. The sale was an online sale only an with free shipping over a certain dollar amount. I ordered it OVER a week ago and it STILL hasn't even been shipped. It took 4 days to show as "processing" and it hasn't budged from that. Sux. Never again.
    · Reply · Share
  • mathmommathmom 32248 replies159 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Re #144 OMG This is why I would never, ever ever consider Princeton!
    · Reply · Share
  • alhalh 8483 replies47 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Gwen or Miranda?
    · Reply · Share
    Like them better than Blake. Meh.

Question-- Would you buy cupcakes or a birthday cake that you had to pick up 2 days before the event? We can celebrate the birthday at the restaurant Fri night and/or I can pick up a small cake or cupcakses , but due to time issues I'd have to pick them up on Weds. Would they be stale by then? Would it be tacky to have 2 day old cupcakes ( or cake)?
    · Reply · Share
  • greenwitchgreenwitch 8725 replies41 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    edited March 2016
    Can you keep the cake in a box in your refrigerator? Or in one of those tupperware cake containers? I would think it would be fine, just make sure it was made that day and don't get one with visible fruit on the outside.

ETA - I don't know why but I think a cake would fare better than cupcakes. Maybe because overall there is less surface area exposed to the air.
    edited March 2016
    · Reply · Share