Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
The Forums will be unavailable Tuesday, June 25 starting at 9 am ET as we prepare for a major design update!

The Grandparent Thread

Replies to: The Grandparent Thread

• snowballsnowball Registered User Posts: 2,919 Senior Member
    I am bookmarking this thread in the hopes that I can make an announcement in the near future! My DIL is ready to have children, it is just a matter of when it happens. We haven't seen them since Thanksgiving and will be visiting this weekend with them; I will be keeping a sharp eye on what she does (or doesn't drink); usually that is the give away!! ;)
  • my-3-sonsmy-3-sons Registered User Posts: 2,947 Senior Member
    Congratulations, you will love being a grandparent! We have a two year old granddaughter who has stolen all our hearts. Her little sister is due in September!
  • travelnuttravelnut Registered User Posts: 1,956 Senior Member
    Hurrah for all the grandparents and grandparents to be. Like some others, I'll have to call this the vicarious thrills thread for now.
  • dstarkdstark Registered User Posts: 34,241 Senior Member
    @frazzled1, @alwaysamom, all grandparents and all future grandparents, congratulations.

@emilybee, thanks.

@alh, I do have photos of my granddaughter's ultrasound. They are on my phone. In the latest photo, I can see her head and other parts of her body. It's amazing! Whenever my daughter or son-in-law sends me a new photo, I get a jolt of adrenalin or whatever it is running through me! It's an awesome feeling!

I agree with you about the ultrasound photos!
  • alwaysamomalwaysamom Registered User Posts: 12,449 Senior Member
    @dstark Yay for you! You are going to be a terrific grandfather!
  • dstarkdstark Registered User Posts: 34,241 Senior Member
    @alwaysamom, thanks.

I love what you wrote about being a grandmother.

I am sure you are an awesome grandmother!
  • bookreaderbookreader Registered User Posts: 2,006 Senior Member
    We had a discussion about what each grandparent would be called since there are so many grands and great-grands. It made sense for everyone to have a different name for the sake of simplification. So we have Oma, Opa, Abuela, Abuelo, Grandma and Grandpa.
  • dragonmomdragonmom Registered User Posts: 5,985 Senior Member
    Hearty congratulations to all! Right now none of ours are interested and only one is married. I'm afraid the costs of living in their preferred city is driving some of that. I will have to ooh and ahh over yours.
  • hrh19hrh19 Registered User Posts: 855 Member
    There is so much good news here. Thank you, @alh, for starting this thread.
    @dragonmom - I will be retiring and caring for baby-to-be two (or three) days a week for at least the first year. You can come to join me. I will share baby holding time with you.
    D is getting recommendations and choosing her doctor - one of the groups included the doc that delivered her!
  • runnersmomrunnersmom Registered User Posts: 2,168 Senior Member
    I just can't wait to join you all! My close friend's daughter is due in August and another friend's son and his wife ar expecting their second in November. I am so jealous. However, my eldest recently told us that he expects to be engaged by the end of the summer and that they will be on a "fast track" once they are married as she is three years older than he is, and will be in her mid-30's before any wedding happens. So, maybe, just maybe, I will get to experience grand-hood....
  • hrh19hrh19 Registered User Posts: 855 Member
    My sister doesn't know I will be a grandma in 2017... She has been a grandma for almost four years. She's loved every minute of it. Last week, when I visited her, I saw a little plaque with this saying: 'Children are the rainbow of life Grandchildren are the pot of gold'.
  • alhalh Registered User Posts: 8,529 Senior Member
    edited June 2016
    I was out doing errands and just can't keep out of the baby department.

Newborn onesie with college logo - Yay or Nay? (really, who doesn't want such a garment to take baby home from the hospital ;) )

Which college? New mama's or new daddy's?