Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

The Grandparent Thread

Replies to: The Grandparent Thread

• natty1988natty1988 Registered User Posts: 570 Member
    @snowball Maybe just get a fold up one? That's what my parents did when we'd come to visit when the kids were little.
  • runnersmomrunnersmom Registered User Posts: 2,167 Senior Member
    @musicmom1215, it's like riding a bike!
  • tx5athometx5athome Registered User Posts: 3,835 Senior Member
    Change of plans, hospital is evidently super busy and told DIL not to come in. She was supposed to go in last night, postponed til this morning and now might not be til afternoon.
  • snowballsnowball Registered User Posts: 2,912 Senior Member
    @tx5athome That is not unusual for an induction or cervical ripening to be delayed if L&D is busy. Hopefully she gets in today.

My daughter was pregnant when they moved to their current city in January. Picked a group a coworker used since she didn't know anything about any of the local groups, and liked this hospital. Long story short, she wasn't happy with the care she was receiving by the OB she had selected, so made a change within the group at 34 weeks. Saw the new OB today and it sounds like this is a much better fit; more traditional and follows the ACOG guideline, something the previous doctor did not. I am sorry she didn't make the switch earlier, but no harm done.
  • CountingDownCountingDown Registered User Posts: 13,396 Senior Member
    I'd guess that the OB docs want to get as many babies delivered as possible before the holiday weekend! 😃
  • rockymtnhigh2rockymtnhigh2 Registered User Posts: 194 Junior Member
    New to being a future grandparent in September. Any books on grandparenting that you like or found particularly useful?
  • mominvamominva Registered User Posts: 3,027 Senior Member
    I enjoyed Lesley Stahl's Becoming Grandma.
    But as a Pediatric Nurse, I was looking for role perspectives and not caring techniques.
  • tx5athometx5athome Registered User Posts: 3,835 Senior Member
    Still waiting. Hospital is now "even busier" they are to call back tonight. They are taking it in stride and went to the zoo. I went into work today because the waiting around was killing me. We are ready to go down the minute she goes into labor, but foolishly made some weekend plans that will we may have to cancel.
  • anxiousmomanxiousmom Registered User Posts: 5,887 Senior Member
    @tx5athome - omg, I can only imagine the anticipation and frustration with the waiting!!! @rockymtnhigh2 When is your grandbaby due? DD is due September 15th and time couldn’t possibly crawl any slower than it has been crawling. (Also caused by anticipating my retirement a week before she is due. :wink: ). I will check out the Lesley Stahl book, and any other suggestions y’all have for grandparenting books.
    Can you all weigh-in with your grandma (or pa) names? What are you hoping the little ones will call you? Nana, Mimi, Bigmomma, grandma, grandmother, bedstemor,.... looking for more possibilities!
  • rockymtnhigh2rockymtnhigh2 Registered User Posts: 194 Junior Member
    edited May 25
    D is due September 20. Already got the book @mominva suggested. About 30 pages in on kindle. It’s really good!

In-laws picked Granny and Grandaddy. I liked Mimi. Just sounded good to me. H picked Papa but he reserves the right to change his mind or if baby’s chooses another name.

Interesting time for retirement @anxiousmom ! Definitely something to look forward to. H works occasionally but mostly we are both retired.

We just got a second home / vacation apartment rented near them, 20 min walk. Their home is quite small due to very high housing costs. We live 1200 miles away and I love the area where they live. Interestingly we were looking at doing this for a couple years now, but this sped it up. We can drive there and have our dog and cat with us.

We just want to be more involved in the child’s life than either of our parents were.

All we have to do is get through the summer!