Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

The Grandparent Thread

Replies to: The Grandparent Thread

• snowballsnowball Registered User Posts: 2,912 Senior Member
    My daughter, before she was even pregnant, but my son's wife was, wanted me to be Bebe. My first name begins with a B, so that worked. My husband started called me that for the dogs, and before my first GD was born, I was sick of the name! My husband finally stopped using it, and now that my daughter is due in July, I have decided the name would work.

My husband early on decided he wanted to be Zayde, which I love for him. On the other hand, I didn't want to be Bubbie, as that is my mother, and she is still alive. My SIL is Mimi for her GDs, so I knew that wasn't an option. Unless GD 1 starts calling me something else, Bebe it will be :smile: I must have searched every article online looking for the perfect name, but nothing grabbed me. Either a name didn't work with Zayde, or just seemed like I pulled it out of the air. I did like Lolly as I had a camp friend with that name and she was cute and perky; seemed like a fun name, but the kids vetoed it. I also like YaYa, but I will leave that for my Greek friend!
  • musicmom1215musicmom1215 Registered User Posts: 2,686 Senior Member
    I am Mimi unless he calls me something else. DIL's mom is Nana and my mom is Granny (DIL had a Granny, too) so those were out. My name starts with a K sound. I thought about Kiki and then that stupid song came along and my son said no. He doesn't like Mimi either, because of the Drew Carey character, but he hasn't suggested anything better. When my brother and I (we're twins) were little, he couldn't say my name and called me Diddie. I thought about that, but it sounds too much like Daddy.
  • jym626jym626 Registered User Posts: 57,363 Senior Member
    Fun discussion of grandparent names earlier in this thread. Never heard of bedstemor! Danish? DH and I are Nana and Papa. Works for me.
  • snowballsnowball Registered User Posts: 2,912 Senior Member
    edited May 25
    @musicmom121, my cousin has a K name and went with Kiki; it fits her. It is funny how we associate things with a name and why we will or won't use a name. When we were naming our new puppy 16 years ago, my daughter said no to several of the name; she said she might want that name for a future child. I will be quite surprised if her daughter ends up with any of those name, but we will see in about 6 weeks!
  • anxiousmomanxiousmom Registered User Posts: 5,887 Senior Member
    @rockymtnhigh2 Retirement was planned to coincide with birth; I have volunteered to do infant care for the first year. After that - eh? Who knows? Maybe a part-time job or something else. @tx5athome So EXCITING and nerve-racking. Hope for a smooth, quick, safe delivery! Keep us informed... :smile:
  • jym626jym626 Registered User Posts: 57,363 Senior Member
    OOh, a new cc grandbaby!!
  • showmom858showmom858 Registered User Posts: 2,877 Senior Member
    @tx5athome - congratulations! I can't wait to hear all about your beautiful granddaughter.
  • anxiousmomanxiousmom Registered User Posts: 5,887 Senior Member
    Wow! Congratulations! That sounds like it was a super fast labor!
  • shellfellshellfell Registered User Posts: 3,232 Senior Member
  • natty1988natty1988 Registered User Posts: 570 Member
    How much are grandparents involved? Does it vary by family? My parents lived far away, but frequently visited and sent my kids stuff and called them on the phone. My SIL lives around the corner from her grandkids and sees them everyday and her husband (who is retired) watches their youngest grandchild. My SIL was a very very involved parent when her D was growing up. To each their own? Wondering what to do someday when my kids have kids...
    I hope to be called Nana..
  • frazzled1frazzled1 Registered User Posts: 5,782 Senior Member
    edited May 29
    Great question to think about, @natty1988. I think it comes down to: 1. How much you can/want to be involved; 2. how much the child’s parents want you to be involved; and 3. Your relationship with your child and his/her significant other. In my mind, 2 is the all-important consideration, and 3 probably dictates 2 to some extent.

I was very close to my grandparents until they died. I grew up in their area, but remained close even after I moved away for college and beyond. They came to our games and performances, drove us to music lessons and sports practices when our parents couldn’t, occasionally brought over soup or watermelon (which was a real treat), and babysat so our parents could have vacations without us.