Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
The Forums will be unavailable Tuesday, June 25 starting at 9 am ET as we prepare for a major design update!

Help: traveling with limited mobility

Replies to: Help: traveling with limited mobility

• dragonmomdragonmom Registered User Posts: 5,985 Senior Member
    If you are renting a car, contact the company about airport services. I haven't used it overseas, but Hertz has very nice shuttle to and from those distant car rental places once they see your disability hang tag They have a driver jump into your rental car and circle back to your gate area and help with luggage. It's such a help. Best to you and the Mr.
  • lb5lb5 Registered User Posts: 47 Junior Member
    At Detroit Metro in the Delta terminal there is a wheelchair station just inside one of the middle doors of departure drop off. They have wheelchairs and attendants there and I think no reservation or fee needed. There is a rack under the wheelchair seat for carryon, I think. The attendants push the wheelchairs thru security and then on to the gates. Bon Voyage
  • learninginproglearninginprog Registered User Posts: 1,125 Senior Member
    Hope you get the ok from your Doc @romanigypsyeyes. You deserve a trip, bon voyage.
  • psych_psych_ Registered User Posts: 1,583 Senior Member
    For TSA, if you can physically handle the required walking/standing metal detector or full body scanner, you can walk through that and have them gunpowder test the wheelchair (you could also put it through the x-ray machine if it folds down thin enough, I think). If you can't, you can "opt out" and get a patdown and GP test in lieu of the mental detector or scanner. As for the plane, get to the gate early and ask for a gate check for the wheelchair and to board early. Don't ask for an aisle chair unless you absolutely need one and be prepared to be the last person off of the plane as you wait for your wheelchair to be brought to you (they bring them right up to the plane entrance). As others have said, almost every airline lets you indicate this when you buy a ticket, though you'll still have to tell everything to the gate agent every time. Do not expect the airport to have electronic carts and do not expect to have one waiting for you if you have a connecting flight to make. Tip your wheelchair driver, if you have one. Good luck!
  • nottellingnottelling Registered User Posts: 4,329 Senior Member
    I recall you saying that you are 6'0" tall and all legs. As a 6' woman with RA who does NOT have mobility issues but still has a LOT of pain, I can tell you that the flight is going to be very, very difficult. With the flare-ups you've been having, I don't think you should even attempt that length of flight unless you get AT LEAST an economy plus seat. A regular economy seat with your legs wedged in with limited ability to adjust would be torture for a long flight -- I mean torture quite literally. Will you have enough mobility to walk up and down the aisles from time to time during the flight?

Please, do what it takes to upgrade to an economy plus seat!
  • HImomHImom Registered User Posts: 34,238 Senior Member
    I agree that economy plus is the only way H and I will fly any more and we are about 6 or so inches shorter than you. Seats have really shrunken--side to side and between rows over the years. PLEASE opt for the economy plus or larger seat.

Bulkhead seats are nice as well, but you have to have your things put in the overhead bins and be willing to assist for any evacuation--don't think they will allow disabled folks to sit in bulkhead seats.
  • romanigypsyeyesromanigypsyeyes Registered User Posts: 33,923 Senior Member
    I do think I have the ability to walk up and down the aisles. I'm not sure that we can afford to upgrade but I will see what I can do. I'm paying for the trip and it's already a stretch. If not for the fact that my great aunt likely won't be around for very long, we wouldn't even be attempting this.

Ugh lots of things to think about :(
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus Registered User Posts: 76,734 Senior Member
    Economy Plus is a United term. The equivalent Delta term is Delta Comfort+. It has 34-35" seat pitch, versus 31-32" seat pitch in Delta's (and many other airlines') regular economy seats. The generic term for these kinds of seats is premium economy.

http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Delta_Airlines/information.php shows the seat configurations of various Delta planes. Other airline seat configurations can also be found around that web site.
    HImom wrote:
    Bulkhead seats are nice as well, but you have to have your things put in the overhead bins and be willing to assist for any evacuation--don't think they will allow disabled folks to sit in bulkhead seats.

Pretty sure it is exit row seats where they do not want anyone who would have difficulty opening the exit door and getting out quickly sitting there. Exit rows are usually not bulkhead rows. Note that some airplanes have exit doors that detach, so you have to pick it up and throw it out of the door opening.
    edited June 2016
    I found a reasonably priced "premium economy" type seat on Air France. Does anyone have experiences with Air France? Or Air Canada? (Windsor is only a little farther than Detroit Airport!)

Paging @GMTplus7 since I think you travel quite a bit (IIRC)
    http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Air_France/information.php indicates that premium economy on Air France has 38" seat pitch (versus 32" in regular economy). http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Air_Canada/information.php indicates that premium economy (when offered) on Air Canada has 37" seat pitch (versus 31" in regular economy).

However, does the flight from Windsor require connecting? Also, Windsor is on the other side of an international border from Detroit, so if you live on the US side, you may have to budget extra time for border crossing just to get to the origin airport.
    UCB, I have traveled to Windsor many, many times. I am all too familiar with crossing the international border :)

Thank you for the seat comparison- does anyone have any experience traveling with either of these airlines?
  • nottellingnottelling Registered User Posts: 4,329 Senior Member
    I love Air France. I've flown in the Premium Economy class on Air France to Paris and it is great. The PE may vary depending what airplane it is though; it was fantastic on the 777. I've never flown on Air Canada.
    I have flown on Air Canada, but only in regular economy on the single aisle A319/A320 type planes (Canada <-> US and domestic within Canada). Seat comfort is typical for a 31" pitch regular economy seat. The experience in premium economy in a two aisle plane flying trans-Atlantic may differ.
  • LizardlyLizardly Registered User Posts: 2,495 Senior Member
    Hey Romani! I had to travel domestically in a wheelchair a few months ago. I called the airline (Delta) to book tickets and requested wheelchair help at the airports. We sprang for first class seats, but the airline would have offered us the best economy fare seats had we asked (bulkhead, as mentioned, which have the drawback of no under the seat storage). I boarded first and got off last---allow time for a slower transition between connecting flights. I could not stand and walk through the scanner at the security check point. I explained that to the TSA and they gently patted me down.

My impression from the experience was thank God for the ADA. I used elevators, large sized family bathrooms (room for my husband to help me), ramps. It took me longer to get around, but I could do it. People were kind and helpful, whether they were other travelers or the airport personnel assigned to help me. We took a long car trip, too, and I was pleased to note how accessible chain gas stations and restaurants were.

I don't know how difficult it will be to get around in England. Are there handicapped hotel rooms there? We also used those in the US. As asked by others, how accessible is public transit? Sidewalks?

Allow extra time, be patient, bring your sense of humor.
This discussion has been closed.