right arrow
GUEST STUDENT OF THE WEEK: AMALehigh is a rising sophomore at Lehigh University, majoring in Finance. He answers questions about academics, networking, finance, Greek life, or Lehigh in general. ASK HIM ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our July Checklists for HS Juniors and HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
As we work to adjust to the current reality, make sure to check out these dedicated COVID-19 resources: our directory of virtual campus tours, our directory of extended deadlines, as well as the list of schools going test optional this fall.

Help: traveling with limited mobility

13»

Replies to: Help: traveling with limited mobility

• LoveTheBardLoveTheBard 2129 replies20 threads Senior Member
    edited June 2016
    If you are assured "premium economy" or "comfort" seats on Air France you'll probably be okay; otherwise, caveat emptor.

When D and I travelled AF last summer and requested bulkhead (we, too, have mobility/chronic pain issues), we were told that they did those types of seat assignments at the gate. Of course, when we got to the gate, we were told that there were no more "comfort seats" and were crammed into the last row of the airplane. Not a fun flight.

(BTW - on planes that have the bulkhead seats in the exit row, the middle section of bulkhead would be okay).

Happy travels!
    edited June 2016
    · Reply · Share
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus 83388 replies741 threads Senior Member
    If specific seats are important, before buying a ticket, try previewing the seat map on the airline's web site to see if the desirable seats are available for pre-assignment (and whether they cost extra).

Yes, some seats (usually some rows in the back) will be held for assignment just before the flight, mainly to make it easier to rearrange for families with small children and attendants of people with disabilities, but that means that people buying tickets later may have no seat assignment at all until just before the flight, with risk of not being able to get the needed or desired kind of seat (or, in some overbooking situations, being at increased risk of involuntary denied boarding).
    · Reply · Share
  • showmom858showmom858 3139 replies16 threads Senior Member
    @romanigypsyeyes - when H and I were there in October our friends (that live in England) met us in London and we did the haunted bus ride around London. We had planned to do the Jack the Ripper walking tour, but because of the rain that night we decided to do the bus. It was really fun and might be a better option for you instead of walking.
    · Reply · Share
  • romanigypsyeyesromanigypsyeyes 34216 replies770 threads Senior Member
    edited June 2016
    Oh thanks for that @showmom858 ! That sounds really fun and something even my mom might go for... maybe.

I think the flights I've been looking at allow you to pick your seats if you're in the economy+ section.

Ok I have a running list of things I need to ask the airlines:
    -Flight cancellation for medical reasons (also going to ask Chase and the other banks my CCs are through)
    -Accommodations in the airport and on the plane (specifically, how do we navigate since my mom is pushing. Especially need to know what happens if we have a layover)
    -Asking if the plane aisles are wheelchair friendly. I don't anticipate needing to use it on the plane but it's something to consider.
    -Checking my wheelchair and using an airport one vs using my own- is one easier? preferred? etc
    -Asking about what I need to do (if anything) with my prescription medications. I have something like 12 pill prescriptions that I take daily and would much prefer they all come in my carry-on with me rather than risk them getting checked and lost.

Other things that I need to do/consider:
    -International health insurance (check! Through the U even if we're on pleasure travel)
    -Checking how comfortable and spacious seats are through UCB's link.
    -Ask about rental cars and making sure they have enough trunk space for my foldable wheelchair.

Am I missing things? I'm sure I am....
    edited June 2016
    · Reply · Share
    Oh yes and got an OK from my PCP with the recommendation to wear compression socks. Thanks to whoever gave me the head's up to ask about bloodclots (I can't remember if it was on here or via PM).
    · Reply · Share
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus 83388 replies741 threads Senior Member
  • PizzagirlPizzagirl 40174 replies320 threads Senior Member
    Absolutely carry all your meds with you, do not check them. Do any of your meds need special handling, eg refrigeration? If they are taken on a set schedule, talk to your doctor re how you should handle them with the time change. If you need to take them on a full stomach, have food with you at all times. It is a good idea to have a note from your doctor listing all your meds (both name brand and generic names) and the reason why. Yeah, it's nobody's business, but you don't want anyone questioning the medications.
    · Reply · Share
    Thanks, PG.

So after all this, I got a "strongly recommend against traveling" email from my rheumatologist. After getting the MRI and new blood results, my flare shows no sign of calming down and he doesn't want me to interrupt my treatments (infusions and physical therapy) if I can help it.

We're going to delay until next May. There's no point in me going over if I'm going to be absolutely miserable (likely given how bad my joints have been lately) and if it will screw with my treatment, it's not worth it.

This was my mom's call. I tried really hard to convince her to still go, with or without me (she has family to stay with... who of course live in a 3 story house), but she wants to wait.

I am going to keep this thread (and the list that I made of what to talk to various people about) and look back at it when we start planning our trip in several months.

Thank you all so much for your help. I really appreciate the help as I navigate this new adventure (the adventure being traveling while sick lol)
    · Reply · Share
  • LoveTheBardLoveTheBard 2129 replies20 threads Senior Member
    Sorry to hear that you are postponing your trip, but it's much better to go when your joints are happier and you are more able to enjoy your trip.
    · Reply · Share
  • PizzagirlPizzagirl 40174 replies320 threads Senior Member
    Sorry to hear this, but sounds like the right call.
    · Reply · Share
  • LizardlyLizardly 2633 replies11 threads Senior Member
    Well darn. Best of luck. This trip will happen.
    · Reply · Share
  • greenwitchgreenwitch 9286 replies42 threads Senior Member
    This gives you lots of time to plan everything you want to see and do (and eat!).
    · Reply · Share
  • carolinamom2boyscarolinamom2boys 6900 replies224 threads Senior Member
    edited June 2016
    I'm sorry that your trip is postponed, but I think that's a very responsible decision for your recovery . You'll enjoy it much better once your condition is more stable .
    edited June 2016
    · Reply · Share
  • HImomHImom 36017 replies396 threads Senior Member
    Sorry your joints are not cooperating, but following MD advice always makes the most sense to me. Hope the treatment helps things calm down ASAP.
    · Reply · Share
  • TigerleTigerle 665 replies6 threads Member
    edited July 2016
    Oh how very disappointing. Agree that you should try to persuade your mom to go if it's financially feasible at all for her to go twice within a year. She can scout out all the routes!
    Edited to add that whether you go this year or next, or your mom goes on her own, NEVER underestimate the difficulty of driving on the left hand side of the road if you're not used to it. I never do it, I make my husband do it who is the much better driver, and help from the passenger seat. I'd never drive in England on my own, and frankly, in the southeast, I would not bother with a car at all, if you do have enough mobility to get on of off public transport easily. And I'd never ever bother renting a car for London. Makes about as much sense as renting a car for Manhattan.
    edited July 2016
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity