Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Help: traveling with limited mobility

124»

Replies to: Help: traveling with limited mobility

• ucbalumnusucbalumnus Registered User Posts: 76,663 Senior Member
  • PizzagirlPizzagirl Registered User Posts: 40,488 Senior Member
    Absolutely carry all your meds with you, do not check them. Do any of your meds need special handling, eg refrigeration? If they are taken on a set schedule, talk to your doctor re how you should handle them with the time change. If you need to take them on a full stomach, have food with you at all times. It is a good idea to have a note from your doctor listing all your meds (both name brand and generic names) and the reason why. Yeah, it's nobody's business, but you don't want anyone questioning the medications.
  • romanigypsyeyesromanigypsyeyes Registered User Posts: 33,923 Senior Member
    Thanks, PG.

So after all this, I got a "strongly recommend against traveling" email from my rheumatologist. After getting the MRI and new blood results, my flare shows no sign of calming down and he doesn't want me to interrupt my treatments (infusions and physical therapy) if I can help it.

We're going to delay until next May. There's no point in me going over if I'm going to be absolutely miserable (likely given how bad my joints have been lately) and if it will screw with my treatment, it's not worth it.

This was my mom's call. I tried really hard to convince her to still go, with or without me (she has family to stay with... who of course live in a 3 story house), but she wants to wait.

I am going to keep this thread (and the list that I made of what to talk to various people about) and look back at it when we start planning our trip in several months.

Thank you all so much for your help. I really appreciate the help as I navigate this new adventure (the adventure being traveling while sick lol)
  • LoveTheBardLoveTheBard Registered User Posts: 2,106 Senior Member
    Sorry to hear that you are postponing your trip, but it's much better to go when your joints are happier and you are more able to enjoy your trip.
  • PizzagirlPizzagirl Registered User Posts: 40,488 Senior Member
    Sorry to hear this, but sounds like the right call.
  • LizardlyLizardly Registered User Posts: 2,495 Senior Member
    Well darn. Best of luck. This trip will happen.
  • greenwitchgreenwitch Registered User Posts: 8,646 Senior Member
    This gives you lots of time to plan everything you want to see and do (and eat!).
  • carolinamom2boyscarolinamom2boys Registered User Posts: 7,114 Senior Member
    edited June 2016
    I'm sorry that your trip is postponed, but I think that's a very responsible decision for your recovery . You'll enjoy it much better once your condition is more stable .
  • HImomHImom Registered User Posts: 34,234 Senior Member
    Sorry your joints are not cooperating, but following MD advice always makes the most sense to me. Hope the treatment helps things calm down ASAP.
  • TigerleTigerle Registered User Posts: 366 Member
    edited July 2016
    Oh how very disappointing. Agree that you should try to persuade your mom to go if it's financially feasible at all for her to go twice within a year. She can scout out all the routes!
    Edited to add that whether you go this year or next, or your mom goes on her own, NEVER underestimate the difficulty of driving on the left hand side of the road if you're not used to it. I never do it, I make my husband do it who is the much better driver, and help from the passenger seat. I'd never drive in England on my own, and frankly, in the southeast, I would not bother with a car at all, if you do have enough mobility to get on of off public transport easily. And I'd never ever bother renting a car for London. Makes about as much sense as renting a car for Manhattan.
This discussion has been closed.