right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
We’ve got a new look! Walk through the key updates here.

holy toledo, what would you do?

Replies to: holy toledo, what would you do?

• MotherOfDragonsMotherOfDragons 3935 replies25 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 3,960 Senior Member
    Trust, but verify.
    · Reply · Share
  • Nrdsb4Nrdsb4 16664 replies156 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 16,820 Senior Member
    People are so quick to say "fire him!" Maybe the gc is completely incompetent, maybe he just doesn't care. Or maybe he's been assigned too many students, and somehow this slipped by. Or maybe there is another side to this story. Maybe he needs a written warning and oversight to make sure he stays on point. But wow, I've never met a human being who hasn't at one time or another made a mistake in their professional life. I've made a few mistakes in my career as a nurse, and my supervisor and administration had a system set up that addressed how to prevent those kinds of things from happening again that was not punitive in nature.
    · Reply · Share
  • MotherOfDragonsMotherOfDragons 3935 replies25 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 3,960 Senior Member
    edited June 2016
    @Hunt that's so right. And by "verify" I mean breathing down their neck like an angry dragon until it's done correctly.
    edited June 2016
    · Reply · Share
  • greenwitchgreenwitch 8623 replies41 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 8,664 Senior Member
    People make mistakes, and I wouldn't expect a GC to know all the good programs in all the colleges since that is a vast amount of information. But deadlines should be their bread and butter. They should be organized the way surgeons and airline mechanics are organized - counting tools to make sure nothing is left behind. There still may be mistakes but they should be very rare.
    · Reply · Share
  • HuntHunt 26787 replies131 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 26,918 Senior Member
    In many jobs there are certain mistakes that simply cannot be allowed to happen. And yet, they do happen sometimes. (A prime example is for a college to send out acceptance notices to people who were supposed to be rejected.) I think deadlines of this kind should be something that a GC shouldn't allow to happen. But I suspect it does happen sometimes.
    · Reply · Share
  • Nrdsb4Nrdsb4 16664 replies156 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 16,820 Senior Member
    Right, it is a mistake, a big one. The question is, does that mean can the guy immediately, or try to find a way to help the employee improve so that it doesn't happen again? It's not necessarily inexpensive or easy to fire and hire another superior individual, and if there are system problems contributing to this (assigning too many kids to each gc for example), hiring someone else may not help in any case.
    · Reply · Share
  • TwicerTwicer 166 replies2 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 168 Junior Member
    Firing outright may be excessive, but escalating to the school principal would be appropriate.
    Then they'd have to ping the principal repeatedly to ensure the issue is investigated and to find out the result...
    · Reply · Share
  • arabrabarabrab 5884 replies77 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 5,961 Senior Member
    Way too many counselors in our district don't load recommendations in until the day before they are due causing lots of unnecessary stress. They enforce a 30 day advance notice, which is fine, but it chaps my hide that even with materials submitted 45 days in advance they skate right up to and sometimes miss deadlines.

Luckily colleges have generally been less picky on that front, but scholarships are a whole different story.

What's especially goofy: If you have an IB program, you can pretty much be sure that your IB students are going to be applying to college and that many of them will choose ED or EA options. So, it shouldn't be any kind of surprise that those students are going to need recommendations done by mid-to-late October.
    · Reply · Share
    edited June 2016
    We got lucky with our high school counselors. There were only 122 or so in our Ds' graduating classes, and they made college counseling a priority.

For grad school, D2 really had to ride some of her LOR writers to submit them on time.

I'm so glad our Ds (and we) are completely done with college admissions stress.
    edited June 2016
    · Reply · Share
  • katliamomkatliamom 12723 replies167 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 12,890 Senior Member
    Similar thing happened to a friend of my son's.

Sadly, that's the reality in many public schools where 1 GC is responsible for a few hundred kids.
    · Reply · Share
    edited June 2016
    Sadly, that's the reality in many public schools where 1 GC is responsible for a few hundred kids.

I think our private school had 3 or 4 counselors for the 122-129 member class.
    edited June 2016
    · Reply · Share
  • intparentintparent 36273 replies644 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 36,917 Senior Member
    We had an on the ball college counselor. But our kids went to an independent private school -- it was one of the reasons we were willing to pay for our kids to go there.
    · Reply · Share
  • EarlVanDornEarlVanDorn 1196 replies87 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 1,283 Senior Member
    @nottelling I don't doubt the story. I know of similar cases. Many guidance counselors are terrible. I think someone in this situation should sue both the school and the guidance counselor, and in some cases the damages should be in the millions when you count up lost earnings from not being to attend the school
    · Reply · Share
  • LasMaLasMa 10768 replies138 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 10,906 Senior Member
    @intparent My nephews went to a private college-prep HS, and their GCs were all over them right from freshman year. OTOH, my D went to a very large public HS which, due to budget cuts, had 1.5 GCs for 1800 students. With that kind of a caseload, IMO it would have been really unfair to expect anything in the way of personal attention. The only thing D required from them was transcripts, and you better believe we followed up with the colleges to make sure they'd been received.
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity