right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
We’ve got a new look! Walk through the key updates here.

holy toledo, what would you do?

VaBluebirdVaBluebird 3183 replies221 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 3,404 Senior Member
I do not know the parties involved. From a friend of mine:

"A coworker has a senior who just graduated from high school. He missed out on a HUGE scholarship into a college program he desperately wanted to be enrolled in because his high school counselor did not send the required recommendation paperwork that he'd promised he would do. Without that scholarship he had to turn down his acceptance into the program. If it were up to me, that would be a fire-able offense on the part of that counselor."

What in the name of all that is holy???? He definitely should be fired. And, I know nothing more than this, not whether the student and his parents pressured him or not. They shouldn't have to for something this important.

48 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: holy toledo, what would you do?

• TwicerTwicer 166 replies2 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 168 Junior Member
    This is a balancing act that follows us all our lives - making sure the "official person" does their job, at the risk of annoying said person and possibly having him/her screw up our paperwork.
    I feel so bad for the young man, and hope that the family escalates this issue with the school.
    · Reply · Share
  • TatinGTatinG 6292 replies109 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 6,401 Senior Member
    A hard lesson. School administrators have to be followed, followed, checked and verified that they have done what they are supposed to have done. Best to assume that they will be incompetent until proven otherwise. I say this because a similar thing happened at our school. A deadline was missed by the school college counselor with disastrous consequences for the student.
    · Reply · Share
  • VaBluebirdVaBluebird 3183 replies221 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 3,404 Senior Member
    Isn't that just beyond imagining? It's their job!
    · Reply · Share
  • carolinamom2boyscarolinamom2boys 6891 replies223 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 7,114 Senior Member
    edited June 2016
    It happens more often than you think @VaBluebird . My son missed out on being considered for the opportunity to be considered for a generous scholarship for the same reason. He followed up ,as did I , well in advance of the application deadline , and we were both assured that the application had been sent. The university stated that they never received the application , and were unwilling to accept a late application. The funny thing is , my son was offered a much higher scholarship by the university and turned it down because of how the situation was handled on their end.

There are a lot of factors at play. How much notice did they give before the deadline? How was the request made ? How many students was the GC responsible for? I'm not saying that the GC didn't drop the ball, but there may be factors that aren't known.
    edited June 2016
    · Reply · Share
  • LasMaLasMa 10768 replies138 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 10,906 Senior Member
    Lesson learned the hard way: On something this important, it's best not just to make sure that the document was sent, but also that it was received. A quick call to the university would have alerted the student that something was amiss.
    · Reply · Share
  • labegglabegg 2519 replies48 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 2,567 Senior Member
    @nottelling it may not have happened exactly like that but I don't doubt that it happened!

D16's guidance counselor failed to submit the appropriate paperwork for D16's application to Rensselaer, despite being hand delivered the paperwork, emailed instructions and repeated inquiries from D16 about the status of the submission. GC promised "that she (GC) would send it in". D16 sent in a Candidate's Choice app and did not use the Common App, which is the usual method for kids at D16's high school. Funny how the only thing missing from the application was the counselor report, the one piece that D16 could not send on her own. Eventually D16 got tired of asking and decided to drop the application (probably a good decision in the end). D16's GC also submitted the wrong teacher recommendations to several schools despite having explicit instructions/requests submitted via Naviance.

Same GC referred D16 to the head of the HS English Department when D16 was looking to contact a teacher who had left the school but was unable to tell D16 who the head of the English Department was and said "just ask your English teacher who it is". Yes that story is entirely accurate because I was there for that conference.

GC has been in the school district for 20 years, we are not the only family with stories about this GC, it is baffling. My only guess would be that people really don't have contact with the GC until senior year and by then we don't want to cross her because her recommendation is necessary for college applications. I haven't moved on to complain to administration because I still have a D18 that is alphabetically assigned to this particular counselor. I hear this GC is awesome if you are applying to college in state. She just couldn't fathom why D16 didn't want to apply to UT or TAMU or some state school despite D16 telling her "Because there are no direct entry DPT programs in the state of Texas". I do know now that we can't rely on her to "get the job done" and I have been documenting issues so that when D18 graduates the school district with get a full, evidence based, report.
    · Reply · Share
  • eyemamomeyemamom 5342 replies78 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 5,420 Senior Member
    I've yet to meet a really on the ball college counselor. It is up to the student and family to oversee this if it was so important. Safe to say they probably just assumed he'd do his job properly. That gc should call the school and tell them it was his fault but I doubt it would change anything.
    I seriously doubt the gc will be fired over it.
    · Reply · Share
  • thumper1thumper1 73022 replies3179 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 76,201 Senior Member
    edited June 2016
    Sorry...not enough information. Did the student follow up with the school counselor on this necessary paperwork? Or did they just wait and think it would get done.

We checked to see that every single submission was sent as well as received. Our kids applied early, and we checked early...thus allowing enough time to get it done...if it hadn't been.

edited June 2016
    · Reply · Share
  • sryrstresssryrstress 2504 replies9 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 2,513 Senior Member
    Our GC was known for issues like this. S1 turned in pre-addressed large envelopes so she could seal them with the information, then returned them to him, and we mailed them. This was '07 application, when online applications were not the norm. Was it overkill? Maybe. Am I glad we did it this way and did it alleviate some stress during a stressful time? Definitely!

By last year, we could turn in D's very early and then watch the portal to be sure GC had done her part.

We probably don't know all the facts in OP's circumstance, but I know it happens. It is a fine line to walk when you have another child following in a few years. In my experience, administration changes often and they didn't really care all that much.

· Reply · Share
  • IgloooIglooo 7989 replies203 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 8,192 Senior Member
    The kid is only 18 years old. Unless his parents were involved, he may not have thought about following up. Could he appeal to the university?
    · Reply · Share
  • lookingforwardlookingforward 32206 replies336 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 32,542 Senior Member
    I can say our GC did everything we needed. But a year later, in a focus group, it was obvious our case was rare. In part, imo, because we knew her. And partly because I think she was trying to deflect D1 from the college her own D was applying to, (where her D was the better match, anyway.)

I agree we don't know enough. Hindsight is 20/20, but for big money my kid otherwise qualified for, I would have rattled her cage well before the deadline, escalated then, if needed.

· Reply · Share
  • abasketabasket 18718 replies843 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 19,561 Senior Member
    Two sides to most stories. I wonder what the GC's story is on this.

Also, did the student get feedback from the uni saying "if we had this material in, you would have received the scholarship"? Or was he/she just not in the running because the material didn't get in?

The GC may be to blame. But as we know on CC, teens/parents also have some very unrealistic demands sometimes.

(can you IMAGINE the situations a GC has to deal with in the course of a school senior year and the many, many different, varied, late, unclear, requests made of them??!)
    · Reply · Share
  • happy1happy1 22407 replies2183 discussionsForum Champion Parents, Forum Champion Admissions Posts: 24,590 Forum Champion
    I feel very badly for the student but the takeaway is that it is incumbent on the student to be certain that all required materials get sent in by others in a timely manner. One should never count on another person getting things done on their behalf.
    · Reply · Share
  • greenwitchgreenwitch 8623 replies41 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 8,664 Senior Member
    I have a similar story regarding D2. There was a state scholarship for academics and for art. We were told by the GC that D2 didn't have a chance for the academic scholarship and we were also told that the art scholarship could only be used at state schools. That was wrong - both scholarships can be used at ANY school in state except for the USNA since it is technically on federal ground.

The academic scholarship is determined by your PSAT scores plus your weighted GPA at some point. The artistic scholarship you have to be nominated for and you have to go to an audition , even for visual arts. D2 wasn't feeling well and skipped the audition since she wasn't applying to any state schools anyway and she thought it would be silly just to do it to say she had gotten an award, one that she couldn't use. Well, it always bothered me and it turned out that the GC was wrong. By the time we found out the auditions were over and that was that. I did call the state agency in charge but there was nothing they could do.

Turns out that D2 went to an instate art school that triples that state scholarship! But they gave her enough merit aid that I figure that they would have given her less "plain" merit aid if she had gotten the state arts scholarship. But I don't really know. It burns me up particularly because this GC really didn't want D2 to go to an art school at all, especially not the one she chose. D2 got into Kenyon and Columbia and the GC hated that she didn't choose one of those schools, or at least RISD. I wonder if she held back the proper information? Or if it was subliminal?

Anyway, D2 DID get the state academic scholarship. TRUST BUT VERIFY.
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity