Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
The Forums will be unavailable Tuesday, June 25 starting at 9 am ET as we prepare for a major design update!

How do you celebrate July 4th?

Replies to: How do you celebrate July 4th?

• carolinamom2boyscarolinamom2boys Registered User Posts: 7,114 Senior Member
    My neighborhood has a grill master challenge at our community pool. Then a parade of kids on decorated bikes and scooters and finally fireworks and popcorn.
  • BunsenBurnerBunsenBurner Registered User Posts: 38,701 Senior Member
    Holy JP Morgan, people are already putting their lawn chairs out on Main Street to stake out a spot to watch the parade. Insanity!!!!
  • cobratcobrat Registered User Posts: 12,285 Senior Member
    Been invited to an afternoon BBQ in a friend's backyard in Brooklyn. Looking forward to the food, drinks, and some music/jamming. Friend and several roommates are musicians who are part of the same indie band with a rehersal/playing space in their basement.
  • LasMaLasMa Registered User Posts: 10,906 Senior Member
    @romanigypsyeyes I took the liberty of googling the Cherry Festival and it looks amazing. Cherry pie might be my favorite food of all time.

There used to be a big fireworks show at the high school near us, but they discontinued it several years ago when they realized it's right in the middle of a very large residential area. We're not willing to drive and park to see fireworks, so we content ourselves with whatever's going on on our street. DH will grill something, probably hot dogs. We'll have watermelon for sure. Other than that, it's just nice to have a 3 day weekend. :)
  • 1or2Musicians1or2Musicians Registered User Posts: 1,365 Senior Member
    My neighborhood has a parade on the evening of th 3rd. The city has fireworks in the 4th so the parade is the day before so as not to conflict. Because a mid-day parade in Louisisna in July is a bad idea...

On the 4th itself we will visit family about an hour away. They live next to a country club neighborhood that has a nice fireworks display. So we will hang out by their pool, eat their BBQ, and watch the adjacent neighborhood's fireworks. Might even be able to hear the band from the country club. :)
  • zeebamomzeebamom Registered User Posts: 1,356 Senior Member
    When I was a kid we would have a big neighborhood party. In past years we've gone to see the fireworks downtown, watched local ones from mom's condo, had family parties.
    This year we will have our first 4th at our canal house. Some family members will join us. Grilling, drinks, talk, laughter, and watching the bald eagles. No fireworks.
  • romanigypsyeyesromanigypsyeyes Registered User Posts: 33,923 Senior Member
    @LasMa I may have eaten my weight in cherries this past week.... and the festival doesn't start until Saturday! mmm cherries...

Just remember everyone that's celebrating that if you're going to do fireworks, be very, very careful. A local family lost their house last night when a firework landed on their house in the middle of the night... and it was not a firework that the family had shot off. http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/fireworks-may-be-to-blame-for-fire-at-shelby-township-home
  • SouthFloridaMom9SouthFloridaMom9 Registered User Posts: 3,446 Senior Member
    We usually go see fireworks . . . but we moved so I'm not sure what we're doing! :O
    Made dinner reservations at a nice place near a park with a fireworks show. The place is expensive and not close to where the major madness will be happening. Hope my niece is not going to be disappointed that we will not be celebrating with the cool crowd, i.e. packed like sardines. ;)
  • lje62lje62 Registered User Posts: 5,618 Senior Member
    We live in a tourist area and have a seasonal business, so it's all work and no play for us
    If we are lucky , we will be able to relax later in the evening .Our town shoots off fireworks about a mile form where we live so if the sky is clear, we can watch from our house
  • BarbalotBarbalot Registered User Posts: 677 Member
    I love fireworks and don't think there's been a 4th I haven't seen them somewhere. One reason is that my county hosts fireworks in two locations, and one is within walking distance of my house, which makes it easy since all the streets around the fireworks area will be closed. I'm planning a picnic earlier that day. Now if only my weather app wasn't showing rain for Monday...
    Raclut, the article is somewhat misleading. The official fireworks shows put out by municipalities are not banned. As far as I know, the Gasworks park show is on and so are many other towns' shows. What is (and has been banned for many years now) is shooting of fireworks by individuals. Depending on the location, sales have been banned, too. My rural suburbia has been banning all fireworks for as long as we have lived here. And I agree with that - horses and other animals do not appreciate the noise and the light.
  • missypiemissypie Registered User Posts: 18,479 Senior Member
    The only constant is that we watch 1776. Every. Year.
This discussion has been closed.