Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

How do you celebrate July 4th?

13»

Replies to: How do you celebrate July 4th?

• RightCoasterRightCoaster Registered User Posts: 2,860 Senior Member
    We'll go for a hike or mountain bike in the western mountains of Maine,go to the local arts festival, have some bar-b- for dinner, take a hot tub, and then go watch fireworks on the golf course fairway with the rest of the small town.
    One of my favorite days of the year for sure. It has historically been beautiful weather.
  • mom60mom60 Registered User Posts: 8,193 Senior Member
    I also live in a tourist town. I'm not sure if we have a 4th of July parade but I think we might. I avoid downtown in the summer months. Until the last few years we would spend the day at our locals only beach and come home and watch the fireworks in the distance. It was good enough viewing for us. The last 3 years we have braved the crowds and gone down to our local Marina. We have relatives who have a boat. They do a potluck on the boat and we catch the fireworks from the dock. The city does a good display that they set off over the ocean. Which is a good call since we are in a severe drought. The downside of going to the marina is finding parking. I'm not sure what il bring for the meal.
    Many years ago we lived in Santa Monica. One year due to violence at the nightly 4th display they did a by dawns early light display.
  • conmamaconmama Registered User Posts: 4,316 Senior Member
    Having the kids and their friends to the lake cottage all 3 days....I'm almost done shopping and my food prep begins tomorrow! I'm exhausted already. You should see all the food!!! On Saturday they shoot fireworks off from a barge in the middle of the lake to music on the radio station. All the boats and pontoons are out there...it's a nice tradition.
  • GMTplus7GMTplus7 Registered User Posts: 14,567 Senior Member
    edited June 2016
    We should rebrand Independence Day as 'Amexit Day'.

• BunsenBurnerBunsenBurner Registered User Posts: 38,637 Senior Member
    edited June 2016
    It never dawned on me to put sparklers on my cake!! Thanks for the tip, Gnocchib! I am with your D, I hated having a summer birthday. But now I kind of like it - no matter what, I almost always get a day off to celebrate. ;)
  • romanigypsyeyesromanigypsyeyes Registered User Posts: 33,923 Senior Member
    @LasMa we were looking through the cherry fest stuff today and saw that there was an adult cherry pie eating contest. Thought of you :)
  • cobratcobrat Registered User Posts: 12,285 Senior Member
    edited July 2016
    Not too long after my last post, I ended up being invited to another bbq this past long weekend. Ended up going to 2 BBQs in all this past long weekend.

First one at a friend's backyard in Brooklyn and the second in another friend's backyard in Queens.

Had a great time hanging out and eating/drinking my fill.

Here's the final food/drink consumption tally by day:

Brooklyn BBQ:

5 German style sausages(2 spicy, 1 with spinach, 2 sweet)

3 hamburgers

1 veggie burger

1 chicken kabob marinated in spicy curry sauce

1 veggie kabob with same sauce

A few handfuls of nachos, strawberries, and blueberries

~4-5 bottles of beers ranging from Yuenling to various IPAs from Sierra Nevada and Double Victory.

Queens BBQ:

2 grilled mushrooms marinaded in a nice savory sauce

1 entire grilled steak grilled rare

1 serving of potato salad

1 serving of fruit salad

2 slices each of angel food cake and rhubarb pie. Had 2 scoops of premium vanilla ice cream which was really good.

2 bottles of beer* alongside numerous servings of grape juice and other fine summertime drinks.

And all of that was actually in compliance with doctor's orders as at the last appointment, she said I was several pounds under the minimum ideal weight for my height. :D

* One Sam Adams Boston Lager, one Red Hook IPA.
  • HImomHImom Registered User Posts: 34,234 Senior Member
    We ended up working with my brother and SisIL to help with major decluttering of my folk's place--lots of expired foodstuffs, van loads of trash and donations. They spent all 3 days doing it--we could only handle 2 days (had to take a break between the 2 days we helped).
  • GnocchiBGnocchiB Registered User Posts: 2,221 Senior Member
    @BunsenBurner since you were born on July 4th, here's a joke DD repeated to me when she was about 6:

What do you say when the Statue of Liberty sneezes?
    God Bless America!

At least I thought it was cute .....
  • BunsenBurnerBunsenBurner Registered User Posts: 38,637 Senior Member
    Cute!!! :)
This discussion has been closed.