Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Changing jobs : a naive quitter or an empowered survivalist?

Replies to: Changing jobs : a naive quitter or an empowered survivalist?

• TwicerTwicer Registered User Posts: 168 Junior Member
    Not sure how relevant the "late in life" aspect is. For those of us with 20 more years left in the workplace the light at the end of the tunnel is so much farther.
    Anyway, my story is - my workplace of 7 years became unbearable due to changes in the client organization. I moved to another project, keeping my seniority and comp. However, the new project proved even worse. While I wasn't attacked personally or humiliated too often, people around me were treated appallingly and I just could not bear it. Everyday I had to talk myself into going to the office.
    I started looking for a new job 2 months into the new project, but it was slow going even though I was willing to take a pay cut. Eventually took a new job that pays better but the title is lower. OF COURSE I was sold a bill of goods... the work pace is excruciatingly slow, and I have not "clicked" with my manager, who is also new in the organization and cannot, or won't, help me grow my own network. But everyone is nice, there is less stress, I am finding ways to use the time productively (cough CC cough), and let's not forget a steady paycheck. It certainly beats the previous projects that had a lot going on but made me physically ill.

Bottom line, no workplace is perfect, but there are some faults we can tolerate and others that truly poison our minds and bodies. It is OK to escape a bad environment. When you know it's time to go... you know.
  • oldfortoldfort Registered User Posts: 23,005 Senior Member
    Last year I was very unhappy with my former company's re-org. I was there for less than a year. I aggressively looked for another job as soon as I decided I wanted to leave. I quite after I secured a compatible job, which took about 3 months. I wish I could have quite when I wanted to, but I knew the prudent thing to do was to get another job before I quite. I don't think it is wise to quite without another job.
  • GMTplus7GMTplus7 Registered User Posts: 14,567 Senior Member
    Post #18. I should mention that I lined up another job before I quit, so there was no break in income/benefits.
  • VeryHappyVeryHappy Registered User Posts: 18,577 Senior Member
    I completely agree with these relationships being like an abusive domestic relationship. The abuser tries to confuse you, gives you occasional praise along with the abuse, and generally keeps you guessing what you'll walk into the next day.

@DonnaL: Have you thought about working for Axiom or one of the other freelance attorney agencies?

Back to your main thread . . . .
  • DustyfeathersDustyfeathers Registered User Posts: 3,396 Senior Member
    I went through a 22-month stint with a new boss who refused to talk to me. He was hired after I'd worked there for 5 years. Fortunately I had 5 years of excellent relations with everyone else in the org. The 22 months of his silence included not telling me about projects that I was assigned by people higher than him; taking the rest of the department out to lunch and leaving me sit; etc. Because Boss refused to talk to me, the co-workers were confused and felt they too could not talk to me, or suffer the same mysterious fate. He would periodically stop talking to others for short stints and kept them in line that way, I guess.

As difficult as this was, I felt that quitting was not an option. The benefits were amazing at this org and couldn't be found elsewhere. Besides, the other people in the org had known me for 5 years. After 22 months they moved me to another dept. After another year or so, the Bad Boss finally tripped up in such a public way that they could successfully fire him.

To this day I'm not sure if it was worth hunkering down for 22 months and dealing with that stress. I've completed 6 more years on the job, about, and it's been a great job in all other ways.
  • greenbuttongreenbutton Registered User Posts: 2,717 Senior Member
    edited June 2016
    That's where I am -- last year I got a new manager. And that person's boss is barely 5 yrs in. So here I am after 13 years of good work and good relationships with everyone else, and these two announce I am all sorts of wrong and they were moving someone new and totally without experience instead of saving me. when I responded that well, that was a lot to consider going forward, he was all " oh, you work hard and all that, no worries" ...I mean,he's known me less than a year. It's all very complicated and I'm sorry to be vague. This represents half my position; the other half is even weirder and less okay, but in a different way. (ethically, philosophically)
  • SlackerMomMDSlackerMomMD Registered User Posts: 3,094 Senior Member
    I've been where you are. I stayed and outlasted the nightmare director (she only lasted two years) That said, it doesn't hurt to polish up your resume, send it out, network and go on informational interviews and see what's out there. You don't have to up and quit but you can find out your options.

One thing this thread has shown me is that it is never too late for find another job.
  • mom2andmom2and Registered User Posts: 2,736 Senior Member
    Certainly sounds like looking for a new position should be your immediate step. If you find something, great, if not, that may impact your choices depending on your dependence on your salary and what else you could do. Even if you stay, looking for options may help you figure out whether the grass is greener. Or maybe you can move within the firm?

In the case of the family member mentioned above, the boss that was unsupportive ended up leaving a year or so later. The person who ended up in the job was fired soon thereafter.
  • DustyfeathersDustyfeathers Registered User Posts: 3,396 Senior Member
    I agree. It doesn't hurt to look for another job. My understanding is that job hunting while employed is much better than job hunting while unemployed. You may find your dream job and dream boss. I say, go for it!
  • NoVADad99NoVADad99 Registered User Posts: 2,291 Senior Member
    It's always a good idea to have a plan to leave and your resume ready to go. I took early retirement to get away from a bad situation and have no regrets. I've done interesting things since then and have learned a lot about other areas. I signed up for all the job sites (indeed, etc.) and have my resume there. I also keep my Linkedin profile updated. I get recruiters contacting me all the time about jobs. It never hurts to see who may be looking to hire. You have no loyalty to anyone but yourself and your family in today's world.
This discussion has been closed.