Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Santa Clara, CA - where to live?

busyparentbusyparent Registered User Posts: 1,020 Senior Member
My daughter is moving to Santa Clara, a new area for her. Any suggestions of where to live or where to avoid would be greatly appreciated.

Replies to: Santa Clara, CA - where to live?

• katliamomkatliamom Registered User Posts: 12,868 Senior Member
    Most the areas around Santa Clara are desirable (and expensive!) -- although there are parts of San Jose (east SJ or downtown) that give some people pause.
  • thumper1thumper1 Registered User Posts: 76,029 Senior Member
    She could also live in Mountain View and take the train to Santa Clara.
  • InamoratiAnonInamoratiAnon Registered User Posts: 122 Junior Member
    Agreed. Eastside/Downtown San Jose are a bit more worrisome, but the Santa Clara area is great from my understanding. It's also in the heart of Silicon Valley, close to a lot of great technological companies if your daughter wants to go into that field.
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus Registered User Posts: 76,603 Senior Member
    Traffic jams are ugly. There are VTA light rail and buses, although they are relatively slow.
    Why is your daughter moving there? A job? Just because?

Is she working for a large company? Sometimes they have apartment information too.

• BunsenBurnerBunsenBurner Registered User Posts: 38,624 Senior Member
    If she got a job at a workplace that adopted casual dress code and she likes biking, she can research apartments along good biking routes. It is a good alternative to battling gridlock because it rains like only 3 days a year in Santa Clara. :)
  • busyparentbusyparent Registered User Posts: 1,020 Senior Member
    Thanks, She will be working for a school.
  • SpaceshipSpaceship Registered User Posts: 339 Member
    Which school?

Up the top of my head, I'd recommend somewhere along El Camino for bus service and convenient cycling, and avoid east San Jose (Not necessarily downtown. It's not that bad.) Mountain View and Sunnyvale aren't bad, Cupertino is nice but expensive. Los Altos is boring (lived there for 2 years and visited monthly for 18, never found anything to do).

For public transit, use the bus. Avoid VTA light rail. It's a horribly designed system.
    I would rather not say the name of the school for her privacy, but it isn't too far from El Camino and San Tomas pkwy intersection.
    She is looking in Mtn View, but I understand it is very expensive there.
  • Anxiousmom1Anxiousmom1 Registered User Posts: 359 Member
    I think Sunnyvale is the new Mountain View...expensive, but not as expensive as MV is these days, and a bit closer to Santa Clara. Murphy Avenue is very hip and there are lots of apartments and good transportation options nearby.
    Thanks. I will pass this along.
    Do RE agents help people find apartments?
    @busyparent yes...real estate agents can help you find an apartment. BUT they cannot comment on neighborhood safety and the like.

The good CC folks helped us locate neighborhoods in Winston Salem when DS moved there. Thank goodness for their help! We were clueless...but one family in particular even went and looked at places for us to help with choices before I went down to sign the lease!
    Decades ago I lived in W-S. I hardly recognized the town when I visited last.
This discussion has been closed.