right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
GUEST STUDENT OF THE WEEK: Rohan is a freshman at Dartmouth (and loves it) having gotten in ED for the Class of 2023. He's here to debunk myths regarding admissions and student life at his school. ASK HIM ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our May Checklists for HS Juniors and HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
As we work to adjust to the current reality, make sure to check out these dedicated COVID-19 resources: our directory of virtual campus tours, our directory of extended deadlines, as well as the list of schools going test optional this fall.

Santa Clara, CA - where to live?

busyparentbusyparent 1024 replies44 threads Senior Member
My daughter is moving to Santa Clara, a new area for her. Any suggestions of where to live or where to avoid would be greatly appreciated.
18 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Santa Clara, CA - where to live?

• katliamomkatliamom 13834 replies170 threads Student Voice
    Most the areas around Santa Clara are desirable (and expensive!) -- although there are parts of San Jose (east SJ or downtown) that give some people pause.
    · Reply · Share
  • thumper1thumper1 77978 replies3490 threads Senior Member
    She could also live in Mountain View and take the train to Santa Clara.
    · Reply · Share
  • InamoratiAnonInamoratiAnon 118 replies4 threads Junior Member
    Agreed. Eastside/Downtown San Jose are a bit more worrisome, but the Santa Clara area is great from my understanding. It's also in the heart of Silicon Valley, close to a lot of great technological companies if your daughter wants to go into that field.
    · Reply · Share
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus 82702 replies738 threads Senior Member
    Traffic jams are ugly. There are VTA light rail and buses, although they are relatively slow.
    · Reply · Share
    Why is your daughter moving there? A job? Just because?

Is she working for a large company? Sometimes they have apartment information too.

· Reply · Share
  • BunsenBurnerBunsenBurner 40841 replies475 threads Senior Member
    If she got a job at a workplace that adopted casual dress code and she likes biking, she can research apartments along good biking routes. It is a good alternative to battling gridlock because it rains like only 3 days a year in Santa Clara. :)
    · Reply · Share
  • busyparentbusyparent 1024 replies44 threads Senior Member
    Thanks, She will be working for a school.
    · Reply · Share
  • SpaceshipSpaceship 295 replies56 threads Member
    Which school?

Up the top of my head, I'd recommend somewhere along El Camino for bus service and convenient cycling, and avoid east San Jose (Not necessarily downtown. It's not that bad.) Mountain View and Sunnyvale aren't bad, Cupertino is nice but expensive. Los Altos is boring (lived there for 2 years and visited monthly for 18, never found anything to do).

For public transit, use the bus. Avoid VTA light rail. It's a horribly designed system.
    · Reply · Share
    I would rather not say the name of the school for her privacy, but it isn't too far from El Camino and San Tomas pkwy intersection.
    · Reply · Share
    She is looking in Mtn View, but I understand it is very expensive there.
    · Reply · Share
  • Anxiousmom1Anxiousmom1 353 replies8 threads Member
    I think Sunnyvale is the new Mountain View...expensive, but not as expensive as MV is these days, and a bit closer to Santa Clara. Murphy Avenue is very hip and there are lots of apartments and good transportation options nearby.
    · Reply · Share
    Thanks. I will pass this along.
    · Reply · Share
    Do RE agents help people find apartments?
    · Reply · Share
    @busyparent yes...real estate agents can help you find an apartment. BUT they cannot comment on neighborhood safety and the like.

The good CC folks helped us locate neighborhoods in Winston Salem when DS moved there. Thank goodness for their help! We were clueless...but one family in particular even went and looked at places for us to help with choices before I went down to sign the lease!
    · Reply · Share
    Decades ago I lived in W-S. I hardly recognized the town when I visited last.
    · Reply · Share
  • mom60mom60 8296 replies513 threads Senior Member
    edited July 2016
    There is a App Radpad. I don't know if they use it up in that area but it is used in the LA area by many young adults. My D works for a property management company. They list on Radpad, Craigslist and a few rental list companies. They don't work with realtors unless the realtor brings them a client. That only happens with high end properties.
    Beware on Craigslist of scammers. My friend recently sold her condo. She had someone stop and go to her door and ask about the rental. Someone was posting her condo for rent on Craigslist using the photos from the MLS. He used a story that he had just bought the place and was renting it out. If the price seems to good to be true, it usually is. My friend contacted Craigslist and they pulled the ad. A few days later the ad was back.
    edited July 2016
    · Reply · Share
  • nottellingnottelling 4269 replies60 threads Senior Member
    "BUT they cannot comment on neighborhood safety and the like."

I don't know why this would be the case. A good real estate agent should be an expert on the pros and cons of a neighborhood on a street-by-street basis. That's what I would expect from an agent if I were buying a home.
    · Reply · Share
  • HImomHImom 35814 replies396 threads Senior Member
    I believe realtors can certainly comment on the area and help find an area suitable for a client to rent. No idea what a good realtor would cost, but it could be worth considering and inquiring.
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity