Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
The Forums will be unavailable Tuesday, June 25 starting at 9 am ET as we prepare for a major design update!

The Day I Had My Heart Attack

Replies to: The Day I Had My Heart Attack

• HImomHImom Registered User Posts: 34,238 Senior Member
    I know a urologist who was operating on a patient and knew he was having a heart attack. He told the people in the operating room to have the team ready for him, as he would be heading to the ER right after he completed the surgery. He finished the surgery and got himself to the ER and fortunately all the top cardiologists were there to help him through his heart attack and he is still doing well. It was scary for everyone!
  • NJresNJres Registered User Posts: 6,147 Senior Member
    edited June 2016
    @Himom , as I was reading your post, I first thought the doctor noticed his patient was having a heart attack while performing surgery on the patient! I wondered why he was taking his time and didn't immediately call in help for his patient (who was having the heart attack). I finally figured out it was the surgeon having the heart attack, mid-surgery!! That is nuts!

In the past 2 or 3 years I have had 3 friends undergo bypass surgery. All 3 had symptoms, (maybe 1 was judged to have had a mild heart attack) but not serious heart attacks before the emergency surgery was recommended. In all 3 cases the surgery was deemed necessary almost immediately. The term "widowmaker" was used. @TonyK , you are a lucky man. You could have so easily died in your locked car if the right guy hadn't been walking by at that moment.
  • IgloooIglooo Registered User Posts: 8,191 Senior Member
    Wow, you came so close!
  • MaineLonghornMaineLonghorn Super Moderator Posts: 39,374 Super Moderator
    Thanks for sharing your story, Tony. Nurses and nurses' aides are unsung heroes. They have helped my son SO much during his three hospital stays. I relied on them much more than I did the doctor.
  • austinmshauriaustinmshauri Registered User Posts: 8,716 Senior Member
    Thank you for sharing, TonyK. My husband has been active all his life, too, but started to gain some weight a few years ago (when he turned 50). He mentioned to me just last night that he'd like to lose 20 lbs. I think I'll make it my mission to help him succeed, and the sooner the better.

I wish you well.
  • shellfellshellfell Registered User Posts: 3,242 Senior Member
    Tony, thanks for sharing your story. It's important for all of us to get routine physicals, take good care of ourselves, and not ignore symptoms. None of us are getting any younger.

Glad you're still here for your grandson.
  • HImomHImom Registered User Posts: 34,238 Senior Member
    I have another friend who is a cardiac nurse. He drove himself to his hospital and told them he was having a heart attack. He was right and the worked in him and he's ok. It was his 2nd one before age 40!

He does almost everything right--ideal body weight, vegetarian, works out, exercises, really nice guy. He does shift work, including night shifts which is hard in his body.

The urologist who had the heart attack had the "widow-maker" plaque break away and would have killed them if the top cardiac team hadn't been there and ready for him.
  • jym626jym626 Registered User Posts: 57,422 Senior Member
    The gentleman who sadly did not survive the event during the roadrace was only 34 :(
  • Bromfield2Bromfield2 Registered User Posts: 3,534 Senior Member
    Glad you survived TonyK and shared this cautionary tale.
  • TonyKTonyK Registered User Posts: 1,134 Senior Member
    @lxnayBob, I wish you well. I'll be careful using the elliptical in rehab. The nurses limit our time on it and monitor blood pressure and pulse.
This discussion has been closed.