Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Terror Attack in Istanbul

2»

Replies to: Terror Attack in Istanbul

• LasMaLasMa Registered User Posts: 10,906 Senior Member
    The only thing an individual can do is avoid crowds as much as possible.

This is what we used to call "the terrorists winning."
  • yauponreduxyauponredux Registered User Posts: 728 Member
    The 22-year-old of dear friends flew out of Istanbul just hours before the attack. Same kid was in Boston for the marathon bombing. Parents are grateful but still freaked out.
  • uskoolfishuskoolfish Registered User Posts: 2,951 Senior Member
    I've considered saying to my family, "let's put a hold on travel"... but then I remembered that my husband commutes to Penn Station everyday (at least those days that he is not flying all over for his job.) Oh and there's the issue that we also have an apartment in NYC and my daughters live there ... taking the subway everyday and passing by soft targets like Grand Central Station, Union Square and Washington Square Park almost daily. And we are a block from the High Line, another vulnerable area.

So I'll hold my breath when youngest D travels home from Rome on Thursday ... but I can't hold my breath everyday and try not to think about it.
  • BunsenBurnerBunsenBurner Registered User Posts: 38,635 Senior Member
    Interestingly, Mr. Putin made a step forward and "forgave" Turkey after its President apologized.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/28/world/europe/russia-turkey-erdogan-putin.html?_r=0

Hmmm...
  • GMTplus7GMTplus7 Registered User Posts: 14,567 Senior Member
    This BBC news article has a good diagram of the airport, showing where the 3 bombs exploded.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-36658187

• ucbalumnusucbalumnus Registered User Posts: 76,614 Senior Member
    edited June 2016
    GMTplus7 wrote:
    I wonder how this recent rash of attacks affects Turkey's bid to join the EU?

Probably not significantly, since there is enough opposition to Turkey joining the EU from existing EU members that it is unlikely to happen in the near future. I.e. the chance of it happening cannot get much lower than the existing extremely low chance.
  • janesmithjanesmith Registered User Posts: 363 Member
    My son was supposed to fly to Istanbul yesterday for a meeting, but it was cancelled. I'm supposed to go to Turkey in a couple of weeks; not cancelling yet.
  • BunsenBurnerBunsenBurner Registered User Posts: 38,635 Senior Member
    An update from BBC:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-36670576

The terrorists were from the former USSR territories.
This discussion has been closed.