right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
We’ve got a new look! Walk through the key updates here.

Terror Attack in Istanbul

TatinGTatinG 6292 replies109 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 6,401 Senior Member
Terror attacks are happening on a monthly basis. 36 dead, 147 injured. So common that hours later there hasn't been a thread star
24 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Terror Attack in Istanbul

• TatinGTatinG 6292 replies109 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 6,401 Senior Member
    edited June 2016
    *started until Now
    edited June 2016
    · Reply · Share
  • BunsenBurnerBunsenBurner 38240 replies463 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 38,703 Senior Member
    I was too busy to start a thread because I was trying to find out when (and if) my sister would be flying through that airport!!!!

My heart goes out to the victims. So senseless and so sad.
    · Reply · Share
  • InfinityManInfinityMan 446 replies4 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 450 Member
    If you saw the (NSFW) videos oc the attacks, you see how absolutely heroic the cops are.

@VaBluebird I hope she's safe. Let us know
    · Reply · Share
  • InfinityManInfinityMan 446 replies4 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 450 Member
    sorry meant @BunsenBurner
    · Reply · Share
  • BunsenBurnerBunsenBurner 38240 replies463 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 38,703 Senior Member
    edited June 2016
    BBC reporter is reporting from a plane on the tramack of the Ataturk airport:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-36658187
    edited June 2016
    · Reply · Share
  • emilybeeemilybee 13127 replies35 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 13,162 Senior Member
    "Terror attacks are happening on a monthly basis. 36 dead, 147 injured. So common that hours later there hasn't been a thread star."

Meh. Nothing can be done about it so just need to get use to it like we do mass shootings that happen on a weekly basis here.

Thoughts and prayers for the victims.

BB, glad your sister is ok.
    · Reply · Share
  • greenwitchgreenwitch 8623 replies41 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 8,664 Senior Member
    I have a friend who is a travel writer who landed in Istanbul an hour or two before the attacks. Very scary! But it could be anywhere couldn't it.
    · Reply · Share
  • romanigypsyeyesromanigypsyeyes 33157 replies766 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 33,923 Senior Member
    I was browsing for plane tickets to England when we saw the news break. My mom goes "You sure you want to go?" Yes. We can't put our lives on hold.

Terror attacks happen literally daily. We just don't give a hoot about them unless they're on US or European soil. People in the Middle East and Africa being killed in droves? Meh.

I do hope the injured recover.
    · Reply · Share
  • TatinGTatinG 6292 replies109 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 6,401 Senior Member
    The attention depends on where the TV cameras go.

The only thing an individual can do is avoid crowds as much as possible.
    · Reply · Share
  • SnowybunySnowybuny 234 replies12 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 246 Junior Member
    One of my friends lives in Istanbul and I have an acquaintance who also lives there. Thankfully both are safe. It's unbelievable how many terrorist attacks have occurred in Turkey this past year and how quickly they're forgotten by most people here.
    · Reply · Share
  • intparentintparent 36271 replies644 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 36,915 Senior Member
    My youngest is thinking about traveling after graduation (I agreed to give her some money for it, since she decided not to study or take a school trip abroad). She initially said she wanted to go to Turkey -- no way given the last year's events.
    · Reply · Share
  • capcap 912 replies17 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 929 Member
    I must admit that I am glad my daughter is no longer living in Turkey. She was in Ankara, but still....
    · Reply · Share
    The BBC article has a list of the major attacks that happened there in the past 2 years. It is quite a long list:

Major recent attacks:

7 June, Istanbul: Car bomb kills seven police officers and four civilians. Claimed by Kurdish militant group TAK
    19 March, Istanbul: Suicide bomb kills four people in shopping street. IS blamed.
    13 March, Ankara: Car bomb kills 34. Claimed by TAK.
    17 February, Ankara: 29 killed in attack on military busses. Claimed by TAK
    12 January, Istanbul: 11 Germans killed by Syrian bomber in tourist area
    23 December, Istanbul: Bomb kills cleaner at Istanbul's Sabiha Gokcen airport. Claimed by TAK
    10 October, Ankara: More than 100 killed at peace rally outside railway station. Claimed by IS
    20 July, Suruc, near Syrian border: 34 people killed in bombing in Kurdish town. IS blamed
    · Reply · Share
  • GMTplus7GMTplus7 14270 replies297 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 14,567 Senior Member
    I wonder how this recent rash of attacks affects Turkey's bid to join the EU?

· Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity