Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Anyone else's facebook stream full of wealthy kids on missions trips holding a poor brown kid?

Replies to: Anyone else's facebook stream full of wealthy kids on missions trips holding a poor brown kid?

• msteemstee Registered User Posts: 3,136 Senior Member
    @concernedmom17 I'm amazed that you have 100 FB friends on mission trips! I have one FB friend on a mission trip. She is post college, though, married. Doing the missionary thing. By mission trips, are they Christian missions? Are they building houses, schools, wells? Singing? Just curious. Nothing wrong with traveling and spreading goodwill, IMO. Our church is planning to go to an African country and sing next Christmas break. I don't plan to go, but I think it would be fun.

@GMTplus7 Love the White Savior Barbie. I love Barbie. She can do anything.

• RightCoasterRightCoaster Registered User Posts: 2,861 Senior Member
    My Facebook feed is packed with parents traveling all over the country with their kids to baseball, lax,hockey,cheerleading,field hockey,track,soccer etc events, tournaments and prospect days.
  • HannaHanna Registered User Posts: 14,905 Senior Member
    Oh, black and brown kids in the U.S. also serve as props in white people's social media. This isn't unique to Haitian and African kids.
  • rosered55rosered55 Registered User Posts: 4,288 Senior Member
    My younger daughter went on a mission trip the summer after 8th or 9th grade. Notable facts: 1) She did not write about it on college applications. 2) Her reports confirmed my suspicions: the trip had more than one purpose for its organizers, and at least as important a goal as "helping" the residents of the Indian reservation to which the students traveled was the goal of converting the students who went on the trip.
  • soozievtsoozievt Registered User, ! Posts: 31,719 Senior Member
    My kids never did these. However, I am not against such trips. Not everyone does things (whether service trips or something else) to look good on a college application. Sometimes kids truly are interested in a certain activity for its own sake. There are travel programs that add a service component that is meaningful for some kids. Even though my kids never participated in these things, I do know that the activities they chose to do they did out of interest and not to get into college and I don't think they are unique in that way. Yes, I am sure there ARE indeed kids who pick such activities (or other ones) for the purpose of college admissions. But I don't look down on the choices some make because some really do such activities due to genuine interest and enjoy and get something out of the experience. I don't frown upon that.
  • concernedmom17concernedmom17 Registered User Posts: 23 New Member
    edited June 2016
    @mstee Up to 100 because it seems to be 4 or 5 local groups from churches and high schools scheduled trips right after the semester ended? And there are also family pairs who seem to be on bespoke noblisse oblige trips.
  • HannaHanna Registered User Posts: 14,905 Senior Member
    I'm not sure you need to promote your charitable works on social media at all, but I'm pretty sure the kids in these pictures didn't help build any houses. As depicted in these images, they are recipients of generosity, not role players in their own story.
  • romanigypsyeyesromanigypsyeyes Registered User Posts: 33,923 Senior Member
    Look, I was president of a basketball league in Detroit (I grew up just outside of Detroit). I also coached basketball and a few other sports in that league. Yes, the overwhelming majority of them were black and brown kids. I was with that league for 15+ years between being a player, a coach, and a president.

I *get* that there are people who do stuff in their backyard and abroad that is actually doing good in the community. But you're kidding yourself if you think those 10 day trips are doing more good than harm. There are volumes written on how detrimental the white savior BS is to communities- especially abroad.

That's not being negative- that's being realistic.
  • PizzagirlPizzagirl Registered User Posts: 40,488 Senior Member
    "And there are also family pairs who seem to be on bespoke noblisse oblige trips."

I don't know. I don't like to second guess motives. Some people really are social justice warriors (in the non-annoying sense of the word). They go on to work for non-profits, NGOs, Peace Corps, UNICEF, etc. Or they become ministers/rabbis/etc.
  • westcoastmomof2westcoastmomof2 Registered User Posts: 229 Junior Member
    I am proud of the fact that my 16-year-old loves to do service trips. His youth group leader has a "pick it and stick it" motto, meaning he leads groups to the same locations year after year and builds upon the work and relationships developed through past goodwill. My son has done multiple trips to Skid Row and Mexico, and is super excited to go to Swaziland next summer (a village that the church has been visiting yearly for 19 years now). They also do local service projects. These are not luxury vacations - the kids work their tails off. For those of you begrudging the FB posts or college essays of kids choosing to spend their weekends and vacations in service to others who live in extreme poverty, with AIDs, with mental illness, etc., you may not understand how truly life changing those experiences can be for our privileged kids. They are being blessed as much or more than they are doing the blessing. The FB (or more likely, Instagram)) posts are not prompted by pride, but by them feeling humbled by the experience. Teenagers post about everything - of course they are going to post about a service experience. Give them a break! Somehow, I am guessing you are not offended by FB posts of all the kids in front of the Eiffel Tower enjoying Europe this summer (which, BTW, I have no problem with; my older son chose the big Europe trip over missions).
  • NJresNJres Registered User Posts: 6,145 Senior Member
    No havent seen that one, but I did read a long post that sounded so unbelievable, about the hot, sweaty, buggy, conditions and the lady next door dying and I thought it sounded too horrrible to be possible, must have been made up, but then I remembered who the author was...Maggie Doyne, and her charity Blink Now, and I realized it was all true. And she does post some pics of herself with many brown children, her adopted children, but they are in Nepal not South America.
This discussion has been closed.