Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Anyone else's facebook stream full of wealthy kids on missions trips holding a poor brown kid?

Replies to: Anyone else's facebook stream full of wealthy kids on missions trips holding a poor brown kid?

• SouthernHopeSouthernHope Registered User Posts: 2,247 Senior Member
    A "mission trip" I can kind of understand....many of these kids go with their church friends and I truly think their eyes are open to the larger world...it makes them more sympathetic to refugees, for one, once they realize how incredibly tough these lives can be. I think it's nothing but good.

That said, while I am not wealthy, I do move around those circles sometimes and I do believe that some of these kids (with the private companies) are looking for both an exotic trip and the perception that this will help them with college.
  • katliamomkatliamom Registered User Posts: 12,866 Senior Member
    edited June 2016
    @BunsenBurner Funny you mentioned volunteers' skills.

I've just been persuaded to join a group that does remodeling projects for needy families (usually impoverished older people) in my city. "But I can't DO anything!" I protested, because I in fact don't know any basic carpentry, or plumbing, and I'm too short to even paint walls effectively. But the organizers talked with me at length, gave me a questionnaire and told me, based on their needs and my abilities, what jobs I would be assigned to. I was impressed. This is a serious operation, run seriously.

(My duties will be more along the clean-up and yard work variety.)
  • saxsax Registered User Posts: 5,428 Senior Member
    Katliamom. You'll be a gopher! Go for this, go for that! Always needed.

Pretty soon you'll be swinging a hammer X_X

A sounds like fun!
  • katliamomkatliamom Registered User Posts: 12,866 Senior Member
    edited June 2016
    I'm looking forward to it, and think it will be a great learning opportunity for me. In fact, that's how I first learned about gardening - I volunteered with a group of parents to redo landscaping at my kid's elementary school. Fast forward to today (kiddo is out of college) and I'm a pretty decent amateur gardener.
  • austinmshauriaustinmshauri Registered User Posts: 8,614 Senior Member
    Pizzagirl wrote:
    I'm not sure I see the difference. If I show the picture of the house I built without the people, I'll be accused of whitewashing (ha ha) the project. If I show the house and the kids, I'll be accused of using them as props.

I wouldn't use photos of anybody in promotional materials unless I had a photo release.
  • KajonKajon Registered User Posts: 4,479 Senior Member
    I find many of the posts in this thread to be bothersome and hateful. Thanks for the voicing your true thoughts and obvious disdain for white kids who dared to be born into families with financial means above the norm. And OMG they then had the audacity to post a picture on Facebook. Wow....perhaps there should be a press release explaining to these kids that they need not bother doing anything beneficial to the greater good because it certainly cannot be genuine and that they are not respected or needed in society.
  • garlandgarland Registered User Posts: 16,057 Senior Member
    We live in the self-perception era: if I feel I did good, then I did good. Please don't harsh my vibe with facts. Oy.
  • IgloooIglooo Registered User Posts: 8,178 Senior Member
    Why should anyone else care? In my two experience, it affected me directly. In the painting job, I had to clean up the mess left by the volunteering kids and the chaproning parent. You could say I didn't have to. Just walk away. I couldn't. I felt bad to people who were at the receiving end. Instead of help, they got more work to do. I knew to avoid that group the following year. In the case I was the inadequate volunteer, I wished I'd known better. I wanted to be useful and would have liked to have had a job where I can be more useful.
  • bhs1978bhs1978 Registered User Posts: 675 Member
    I think this thread can officially be voted in the worst thread on CC. So many JUDGEMENTAL people who have nothing better to do than bash kids who are on SERVICE/MISSION trips. Get over yourselves.
    The fetishment of the word "service" is breath-taking.
  • HannaHanna Registered User Posts: 14,902 Senior Member
    "do post pics of my kids w/o permission on their personal social media accounts. Not going bananas here."

That's fine. Other parents would, especially if we're talking about preschool and elementary aged children. Teachers, etc. posting those pictures without parental permission are taking a foolish risk.
    Good try, @GMTplus7 --- but getting in between people and their righteous images of themselves is a dangerous business, lol.
  • twicearoundtwicearound Registered User Posts: 208 Junior Member
    Opinions don't equal facts. And multiple links to support opinions is similar to yelling as if someone doesn't hear you. I "hear" you. I just disagree. Doesn't make me or others who disagree delusional white savior people @GMTplus7. Yikes.

And yes @Hanna "some" is the key and point here whether we're talking about some parents taking offense, some teachers taking foolish risks, or some youth service mission trips being contrived vs worthwhile. Much of this is subjective.
This discussion has been closed.