right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
We’ve got a new look! Walk through the key updates here.

Anyone else's facebook stream full of wealthy kids on missions trips holding a poor brown kid?

concernedmom17concernedmom17 21 replies2 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 23 New Member
edited June 2016 in Parent Cafe
Summer began 2-3 weeks ago and there are over 100 wealthy rising junior and senior on mission trips in Central America and Africa and Asia. I know this because they and their parents have all posted that cliche pic of a brown kid, aged 2-6, on their knee, with a variation of "This little guy made it so hard to leave."

It all looks and feels so contrived. How is this [still] a thing? I assume any mention of these trips in an application triggers rolling eyes by now. What really irks me is that there are inner-city youth 10 minutes away that would love it if these same teens came around and talked to them.
edited June 2016
109 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Anyone else's facebook stream full of wealthy kids on missions trips holding a poor brown kid?

• GoNoles85GoNoles85 730 replies51 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 781 Member
    Yeah, but if one helps an inner city youth one doesn't get any "credit" for it. If one travels across the globe and manages to "help" (cough, cough) a brown kid long enough to have someone snap a picture of it and then immediately goes to the tougher part of the trip, you know, hiking, back rubs, sight-seeing, shopping and so forth, and then, by chance, someone posts a bunch of pictures of it it shows how committed to helping others junior is.

One has go to have one's priorities straight.

What else is funny is a world leader was on the cover of Time magazine or won the peace prize or something because he/she opened the borders to immigrants desperate for help leaving their war torn country and then a few months later that same leader has been blamed by some for his/her lack of leadership being the root cause of the Brexit vote.

Everyone loves cheap energy but no one wants the nuclear power plant in their backyard.
    · Reply · Share
  • romanigypsyeyesromanigypsyeyes 33157 replies766 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 33,923 Senior Member
    No. These aren't the type of people (either in philosophy or socioeconomic status) that either my parents or I are friends with.
    · Reply · Share
  • HiToWaMomHiToWaMom 1382 replies16 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 1,398 Senior Member
    @GMTplus7 ^^^ Brilliant!!
    · Reply · Share
  • GMTplus7GMTplus7 14270 replies297 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 14,567 Senior Member
    @Gourmetmom

But do people really need to spend a couple grand to fly to Costa Rica or Kenya to do it?

· Reply · Share
  • raclutraclut 3672 replies232 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 3,904 Senior Member
    edited June 2016
    Admissions is so competitive that everyone is trying to stand out. Mission trips are getting quite common. Another thing that is getting common is for families to start a foundation to put on a college application. If you go to any college orientation you will hear admissions staff saying we get a lot of applications from students who have done lots of community service and other philanthropic activities. For the parents it may seem their child has a unique application but the admissions staff sees a lot of common patterns in all the apps that they receive. Everyone is trying to present their unique story to show what makes them stand out and why they should be admitted. I've seen female students create organizations to encourage girls to consider stem careers and learn programming. A lot of different versions of the same thing.
    edited June 2016
    · Reply · Share
  • PizzagirlPizzagirl 40168 replies320 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 40,488 Senior Member
    This isn't on my FB feed, though I do know of one young woman in my circle who did so (and went to Yale). But I doubt that was her big schtick. She was the real deal on a lot of other dimensions.
    · Reply · Share
  • GourmetmomGourmetmom 2777 replies45 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 2,822 Senior Member
    http://mcc.gse.harvard.edu/files/gse-mcc/files/20160120_mcc_ttt_execsummary_interactive.pdf

If you haven't read this report, I urge you to because it describes how the future ought to be for high schoolers - less "doing" for the disadvantaged in a detached way, and more peer relationships and community involvement. These canned (and expensive) service trips for youth don't make sense in many cases, although for some it may ignite a flame that leads them become engaged later on.
    · Reply · Share
  • romanigypsyeyesromanigypsyeyes 33157 replies766 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 33,923 Senior Member
    Eagledad, there are people who craft their whole essays around their "mission" trips (or whatever they want to call them). That's the problem.

(Well, I have problems with the whole "doing service" for a few days and leaving, too, but that's a whole other story.)
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity