right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
We’ve got a new look! Walk through the key updates here.

Returning a gift to Amazon

poetsheartpoetsheart 5469 replies102 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 5,571 Senior Member
Have any of you tried to return a defective item that someone bought for you through Amazon? My D purchased a DVD boxed set I mentioned I wanted, and had it sent directly to my house. The problem is one of the DVDs is defective and will not play in either my Blue Ray player or my computer. The player just says "no disc", which I presume to mean it can't find/detect the disc, even though it has been loaded. The other disc plays perfectly.

Amazon no longer seems inclined to allow customers to speak directly to them by way of an 800 customer service no., and the return options listed don't seem to allow a giftee to exchange or return items purchased by someone else. Am I overlooking something obvious? I'm a bit miffed. Well actually, more than a bit. Why can't I just talk to someone @ Amazon the way I did in few years ago when I experienced a problem?

I'm merely venting, I guess, and looking for commisserators or someone who can help me. 8-|
9 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Returning a gift to Amazon

• ignatiusignatius 3356 replies21 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 3,377 Senior Member
    You can talk to customer service at Amazon. Start here: https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/contact-us/general-questions.html?skip=true Work your way through the questions - sometimes I just click "other issues." You'll end up with two options: email or phone.

I order a lot and talk with Amazon a lot as I'm particular about the condition my books arrive in.
    · Reply · Share
  • SnLMomSnLMom 626 replies18 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 644 Member
    I spoke with a customer service rep about a week ago to discuss a missing delivery. Once I filled out their very brief online form, I was given a 3 choices of how they could contact ME: email, phone, or live chat. They actually recommend phone, which is what I chose. My phone rang the instant I pressed enter. It worked beautifully!
    · Reply · Share
  • poetsheartpoetsheart 5469 replies102 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 5,571 Senior Member
    Never mind. Problem solved. Thanks.
    · Reply · Share
  • kiddiekiddie 3259 replies209 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 3,468 Senior Member
    I want to add that I received a holiday gift last year that was purchased at Amazon by a relative. I was able to call and get it returned and get a credit on my Amazon account without the gifter knowing about it (I think I might have had to pay return shipping as the item was not defective).

I always select the call me contact option and the phone rings instantly (although you sometime have to wait for an agent)
    · Reply · Share
  • AllThisIsNewToMeAllThisIsNewToMe 2037 replies254 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 2,291 Senior Member
    No! I disagree with calling. Do the instant chat instead! Then you take a screen shot of the conversation for your records. They've helped me several times.
    · Reply · Share
  • guidedbywireguidedbywire 428 replies19 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 447 Member
    It very, very easy (no call needed and no notice to the gifter) if the person purchased the gift through one of your published wish lists.

I always make sure everyone in my family knows how to find my comprehensive and extremely up-to-date wish list at all times!
    · Reply · Share
  • BunsenBurnerBunsenBurner 38241 replies463 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 38,704 Senior Member
    Calling is last century. :) Use Amazon's online chat. Works like a charm. They let me return an item that I have not even recieved yet because FedEx botched express delivery, and the recipient was heading to the airport.
    · Reply · Share
  • anomanderanomander 1645 replies4 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 1,649 Senior Member
    Just responding for others since OP figured it out. IIRC there's an option on Amazon's site to return gifts, but they need a code (probably the order number, but I forget exactly) from the packing slip. So just hang on to that piece of paper. In my case the slip didn't have the code for some reason so I ended up asking the giver (my sister) to pull up the order on her account and email me the code which I then entered on the Amazon return page.
    · Reply · Share
  • kiddiekiddie 3259 replies209 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 3,468 Senior Member
    I did the return without a code/packing slip (the old fashioned way on the phone with a real live person) by having the gifter's account looked up (as mentioned it was a relative so I knew name, address, email, etc.) - it had been shipped to their address not mine (and wrapped up for Christmas)
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity