Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
The Forums will be unavailable Tuesday, June 25 starting at 9 am ET as we prepare for a major design update!

The Honor Was Mine...

Replies to: The Honor Was Mine...

• haydenhayden Registered User Posts: 4,415 Senior Member
    This is a wonderful thread. Thank you for sharing all your stories. So uplifting.
  • Waiting2exhaleWaiting2exhale Registered User Posts: 2,916 Senior Member
    edited July 2016
    These are wonderful instances of how we have touched another, indeed, @hayden.

@raclut, I know so well the special attachment you have spoken of with your neighbor and her family. My children have also been deeply impacted by a young couple and their small children, so much so that one of the young children played a central part in my daughter's college essay.

I know your former neighbor, the mom, will think of you often, and maybe even share stories of you, her friend and neighbor, with all the new friends she makes.

I like to think that what is most true when we have deeply given, or shared, or touched and been touched, are the sentiments expressed in this line from the film version of Indian in the Cupboard: "When I leave you, I take you."
  • HImomHImom Registered User Posts: 34,238 Senior Member
    I wish we could give blood but none of us can as we all gave chronic health conditions which trouble our providers and they don't want us to do anything that could in any way weaken our somewhat fragile health. My brother and his family are regular blood donors.

It's great that taking in that bonus son helped your entire family, especially your sons.

I started a nonprofit because I was so devastated to be diagnosed with a serious progressive condition and get no support or good info. I wanted to provide the support I felt was lacking statewide. The org has been around for over a decade now. I've met tons of people through it and learned a great deal. We have touched many lives.
  • LizardlyLizardly Registered User Posts: 2,495 Senior Member
    I housed a foreign student and drove her to work, a lab job. She was happy to have a free place to stay and a ride in the morning. I was happy to spend time with someone so smart and energetic and open to learning new things. It was a delight to meet her a the end of the day and hear what she had seen and done and learned. We were from very different backgrounds and that made it more interesting. Her reactions surprised me. I also got a glimpse into her life as a young woman and heard about family, boys, clothes, all the other things on her mind.
  • SouthFloridaMom9SouthFloridaMom9 Registered User Posts: 3,446 Senior Member
    @retiredfarmer - loved your story, thank you!
This discussion has been closed.