Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

The Honor Was Mine...

13»

Replies to: The Honor Was Mine...

• Waiting2exhaleWaiting2exhale Registered User Posts: 2,911 Senior Member
    @HLmom, "I wish we could give blood...."

That is such a powerful statement right now for me, filled with both a literal as well as metaphoric sense.
  • bevhillsbevhills Registered User Posts: 1,437 Senior Member
    To those of you who donate blood: Thank you. To those of you who volunteer to give bone marrow...thank you.
  • HImomHImom Registered User Posts: 34,234 Senior Member
    My relative was dismayed to learn that the local oyster industry was badly harmed by an oil spill but couldn't get a bank loan to replenish their stock so they could stay in business. She and her spouse loaned them the money that she was sure they'd recover from the company that spilled the oil, saving the oyster company (they repaid her every penny when they recovered as predicted). We visited her and purchased some of the sweetest oysters ever at that farm.

I love the story about the guitar--music surely is a universal language and I'm sure that memory will live on in all your lives.

I was saddened to be told by the bone marrow registry that they couldn't leave me on the donor list because of my chronic health issues--not sure whether for my protection or the potential recipients or both.

So many sweet stories on this thread.
  • bevhillsbevhills Registered User Posts: 1,437 Senior Member
    I am honored to know the people here. That's it..
  • HImomHImom Registered User Posts: 34,234 Senior Member
    edited January 2017
    My allergist has been such a giving person all her life and career. Sadly she is having some personal health crises and is closing her practice. I bought her some warm clothing (down jackets, footed socks, a hat, scarf, other clothing) as she will soon be moving to a very cold place for medical treatment and has no warm things of her own (she was just going to borrow her sister's things). It has been such an honor to know such a selfless person and we hope she will recover soon and fully. She has been our advocate for over a decade and helped us get into the Stanford program to hopefully get effective treatment for D's chronic disease, that will make a difference in her health. She seemed so surprised and touched to be given things to help her in her journey.
  • musicmom1215musicmom1215 Registered User Posts: 2,687 Senior Member
    I was leaving a meeting one evening and stood outside to talk to a few friends as we were getting into our cars. It was nearing 10:00 at night and, of course, was dark. As we were talking, I noticed a woman in her 50s or 60s walking down the street carrying two or three grocery bags from the store that was at least a mile away. When I got in my car, I felt compelled to stop and offer her a ride. I knew her bags had to be getting heavy. She didn't hesitate to take me up on my offer and I drove her home about a mile away. We had a nice chat, and it really made me think about how fortunate I am to not have to WALK miles to buy groceries. I really take so many things for granted.
  • dragonmomdragonmom Registered User Posts: 5,984 Senior Member
    I used to give blood regularly, but my tiny veins make it a long, difficult process. I was finally told, very gently, that the bloodmobile's time was better served with folks who are faster and easier "sticks" if there's a line of donors.
This discussion has been closed.