Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
The Forums will be unavailable Tuesday, June 25 starting at 9 am ET as we prepare for a major design update!

The Honor Was Mine...

Waiting2exhaleWaiting2exhale Registered User Posts: 2,916 Senior Member
Have you ever had an experience where you sought to do something for someone, and found the act gave as much to you (and more) to you as you sought to extend a kindness?

I recently met a new immigrant to this country who exhibits the much vaunted fortitude, perseverance and determination of old. I sought to make her day a bit easier, and in doing so, she has reminded me of so much.

I see my mother's smile in hers. I see my much younger self eyeing a future I thought I could craft just because I turned 18. I am reminded of the power in a simple smile, an extended hand, a shared moment of laughter

Have you known such moments?.

Replies to: The Honor Was Mine...

• Waiting2exhaleWaiting2exhale Registered User Posts: 2,916 Senior Member
    "She was incredibly grateful in an outsized way for what I thought was a simple gesture of everyday politeness."

I've found that so often we can have the thought, and then tell ourselves we must not intrude on the next person's space, and so do not follow the thought or impulse.

Maybe you will have started a trend, @anomander....
  • HImomHImom Registered User Posts: 34,238 Senior Member
    It IS such a kindness when you are able to help an overly-taxed parent so they have more resources to deal with a tired and stressed youngster. It will be a better world when more folks return to simple kindnesses like this. When I have the energy and am seated by youngsters, I will sometimes make them little origami items for their amusement and give them to the adult who is tending them. It's just a tiny way of trying to lighten the load. ;) I remember those l-o-n-g days, as we traveled 5+ hour flights with our kids since they were 6 months old!
  • VeryHappyVeryHappy Registered User Posts: 18,587 Senior Member
    Random acts of kindness. I love 'em!
    There need be no qualification of the impetus for the kindness.

I just call these instances kindness, an extension of self, no matter how we have come to make contact with that other person or persons; no matter to what degree we are able to share of ourselves.

@alwaysamom: I met two women recently who are part of a group which sponsors refugees. They were shopping for "Everything - from the ground up," one of them told me as she selected items at a resale store. I think that work is incredible.

• bookwormbookworm Registered User Posts: 8,820 Senior Member
    Ya, I finished work early and was driving to gym. I d cid d to go ,check out a former patient at an SNF. Well, he had fallen leaving bathroom. I got staff to get him up, check that he was OK, etc, everyone benefitted. Then his daughter came for a visit. I'm sure she was happy he wasn't on the floor.
  • 1214mom1214mom Registered User Posts: 4,580 Senior Member
    Skilled nursing facility?
  • lookingforwardlookingforward Registered User Posts: 32,507 Senior Member
    Beautiful, waiting2exhale and all of you. Thank you.
This discussion has been closed.