right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
We’ve got a new look! Walk through the key updates here.

Honda? Acura? Better get a ride home !

saxsax 5272 replies156 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 5,428 Senior Member
edited June 2016 in Parent Cafe
http://money.cnn.com/2016/06/30/autos/takata-honda-airbag-warning/index.html

Check your year and model. The Fed says there's more than a 50% chance your airbags going to explode. "Critical and grave danger"

Yikes!

edited June 2016
20 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Honda? Acura? Better get a ride home !

• katliamomkatliamom 12722 replies167 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 12,889 Senior Member
    Oh good grief. My daughter is thinking of buying her grandpa's Accura from that period.
    · Reply · Share
  • BunsenBurnerBunsenBurner 38240 replies463 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 38,703 Senior Member
    First, the chance is NOT 50%, it is 50% IF the airbag is deployed in an accident. Still, I would not want to take that chance.

Second, get the recall work done ASAP. The recalled part is replaced by the dealers for free. We just got our Matrix back from the shop. Done.
    · Reply · Share
  • saxsax 5272 replies156 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 5,428 Senior Member
    edited June 2016
    @ucbalumnus

The reason I posted is because this is a much smaller list that the Federal Government is telling you to NOT DRIVE THESE CARS especially if you live in Texas, Florida and the Gulf Coast.

People need to realize it is a small subset and according to the govt you should not drive these cars until you fix them.
    edited June 2016
    · Reply · Share
  • scmom12scmom12 3058 replies21 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 3,079 Senior Member
    edited June 2016
    I just check our two Hondas. Both under recall (parts anticipated late summer as we are in region A). Luckily both are for passenger side only but would love to get D's fixed before she returns to school since she often has passengers. H seldom has passenger in his car.
    edited June 2016
    · Reply · Share
  • twoinanddonetwoinanddone 21930 replies14 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 21,944 Senior Member
    I had mine replaced about 18 months ago. Honda Accord 2002. I was in the first group recalled because at the time my car was registered in Florida and part of the issue is 'sea air' may rust out the part. However, I was in Colorado at the time so there was no back up at dealership for parts. They ordered it and it was replaced quickly. My father's 2012 CRV's was replaced, and my mother's 2001 Accord is on the list.
    · Reply · Share
  • SnLMomSnLMom 625 replies18 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 643 Member
    My Ds 2001 Accord was totaled in a collision last year before the airbag was replaced. She was fortunate that it was all rear end damage!
    · Reply · Share
  • HImomHImom 33854 replies387 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 34,241 Senior Member
    Called our local Honda dealership and was told to check recalls.honda.com to see if our vehicle is included in the recall. I have been trying to go on the website, but get the "server is too busy" message. :-O On the plus side, of all the miles and vehicles our extended family have driven, the airbag has only been deployed ONCE, when my mom was driving. She as at a total stop and rear-ended and the airbag deployed and fractured her sternum! I like to think our chances are pretty decent of not having an airbag deploy for any of us, but who knows?
    · Reply · Share
  • NJresNJres 5965 replies187 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 6,152 Senior Member
    Our 2009 CRV was recalled in Feb 2009, although notices didn't go out until April. We went to our local dealer (who did not sell us the car) and got on a waiting list for loaners, and much to my surprise got a car in 4 days. We drove the loaner for less than one month, and the parts came in and the repair was done in a few hours. We feel very lucky that the repair was done now that they keep adding to the recall and wait times are increasing.
    · Reply · Share
  • HImomHImom 33854 replies387 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 34,241 Senior Member
    My Honda Accord is a 2009. The dealer confirmed that the passenger airbag does need to be replace but NO parts are available yet and they are focusing on the 2001-2003 models where people have been hurt (killed), as well as the driver's side airbag (where the part is available).
    · Reply · Share
  • JazzyTXMomJazzyTXMom 347 replies6 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 353 Member
    I was at an Acura dealership recently and the salesman said that they have several pre-owned vehicles that they cannot even put out on the lot as they are waiting for the airbags to be replaced. He stated that owners have first priority on the scarce replacement airbags and dealers are second. Sounds like it's going to be awhile before they can sell those cars,
    · Reply · Share
  • OnwardOnward 2887 replies77 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 2,964 Senior Member
    Still waiting here with my Honda. I called the dealer the other day and they said they were hoping that the parts would be in sometime this summer but they didn't sound too optimistic.
    · Reply · Share
  • FallGirlFallGirl 7978 replies27 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 8,005 Senior Member
    My co-worker took her Honda in 10 weeks ago for the airbag fix and is still waiting to get it back.
    · Reply · Share
  • scmom12scmom12 3058 replies21 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 3,079 Senior Member
    So called about D's car and they will have part in next week. They are treating it like a special circumstance even though passenger side(2007) because she has been dealing with a leak that no one could find for a year - finally fixed. But her car has stayed moist (frost on inside of car during winter, puddles on floor when rain) since leak was draining behind passenger side dash - so very high humidity!
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity