Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Maintenance will occur on the site beginning at 10:00 am PT tomorrow morning. While it is very unlikely, this may result in intermittent down time. Thank you in advance for your understanding!

Non-negotiables in real estate

Replies to: Non-negotiables in real estate

• busdriver11busdriver11 Registered User Posts: 14,199 Senior Member
    12%, that's just crazy, wow!

In our case, our mortgage is at 2.875%. In May, it adjusts (max of 4.875%), but I think it will be closer to 3.5-3.75%, and then it stays that way for 5 years. I know these are still low rates right now, like doschicos says, but the best deal I can find right now is a 15 year fixed at 3.75%, with about 18K in closing costs. The mortgage payment would jump about 3K per month, and those closing costs are painful. Thinking about taking our chances, and just trying to pay it of as quickly as possible, particularly if it jumps up significantly after five years.
  • HImomHImom Registered User Posts: 29,728 Senior Member
    edited December 2016
    Wow, I've never had rates as low as yours! I still remember when I earned 9% in a savings account in the 1980s. I guess I'm dating myself!

At this point in our lives, we are content to have no debt. We will try to help our kids buy a place but we like sleeping well at night and are trying to simplify our lives.

I suppose if we needed to remodel for aging in place, we'd have to consider whether we can pay it all at once or take out a loan. Which brings us back to thus thread--Want housing where we can age in place.
    I think we would all LOVE to get 9% in a savings account!

Both you and Bunsen are really lucky to not have a mortgage. How freeing to have no debt. That way she doesn't have to rush like crazy to find something, just to buy before the rates skyrocket.
  • doschicosdoschicos Registered User Posts: 14,711 Senior Member
    If we did buy a new home, I'd really like it to be more environmentally friendly.
    ^^Ah, just live in a tent, have almost zero carbon footprint. :D
    edited December 2016
    As long as it's a tent with a gas cooktop, two bathrooms and a laundry room. :) Don't they call that glamping? I'd need to move somewhere much warmer. How much space do you have in your backyard, @HImom? ;)
    Funny! I think we're all planning on moving in with Himom! But Bunsen is planning on working many more years here, so she can't move with us. :(
  • nottellingnottelling Registered User Posts: 4,329 Senior Member
    Re glamping -- the LA Times recommends, as a holiday gift, that you sign your sweetie up for a four-day camping trip. You stay in pretty basic canvas tents with cots and lanterns. Only $6000 PER PERSON for four nights. Scroll down on the link below.

http://www.latimes.com/projects/gift-guide-2016-la-experiences/

So camping isn't solving any budget problems!

edited December 2016
    Bunsen can airbnb with us for her vacations. :D

Actually, 2 of my siblings now have airbnb units in/attached to their dwelling and its been a good source of income.
    6K for four nights of camping? Ya'll can stay in a tent in my yard for half the price! :O)
  • lookingforwardlookingforward Registered User Posts: 24,915 Senior Member
    Living in an old home now, the next one just has to be...perfect.
  • HImomHImom Registered User Posts: 29,728 Senior Member
    Personally, I'm not into bugs if I can avoid them on vacation. H and I prefer hotel rooms and restaurants, especially if there are bears and snakes.

Glamping holds no allure for us. We've done enough real camping when our kids were young, thanks. Canvas doesn't protect against temperature swings and I'm too darn sensitive to frigid temps. Y'all can make reservations. Heck for $6000 for 4 days in our yard, I will buy folks brand new Costco tents!
    Macadamia nut candies on our pillows?
  • nottellingnottelling Registered User Posts: 4,329 Senior Member
    It's $6000 for 1/2 a tent for four nights; $12,000 for the whole thing!

But back to BB's question: I noticed no one so far has said at least one fireplace. Would you miss it if it were gone?

I forgot to mention sufficient wall space for art.
  • MommaJMommaJ Registered User Posts: 5,640 Senior Member
    edited December 2016
    City-supplied water and sewer service. I never want to cope with well water or a septic system again. There are enough things to deal with in a house without two extra major systems, both of which cost a bundle if they need replacing.

I second having a laundry room on the main level.
This discussion has been closed.