right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
We've updated the Topics page of our website to better organize and share our expert content. Read more about it here.

ESA animal mauls another passenger on airline flight

mom2collegekidsmom2collegekids 84045 replies1015 threadsForum Champion Financial Aid, Forum Champion Alabama Forum Champion

Replies to: ESA animal mauls another passenger on airline flight

• ConsolationConsolation 22863 replies184 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    I think it is easier for large dogs to hold it longer. Toy dogs are notoriously difficult to housebreak. :)
    · Reply · Share
  • HImomHImom 34201 replies391 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    If they’re at least paper trained and have a pad that would help. I just feel that’s a very long flight, especially to be in an unfamiliar area in the dark.
    · Reply · Share
  • twoinanddonetwoinanddone 22703 replies15 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    I do know that a friend traveling with a cat (not a service animal, she paid for it to travel in a carrier in the cabin) was bounced from a plane because someone had a letter from her doctor that she was highly allergic to cats and couldn't travel in the same cabin.

The dogs/animals don't sit on your lap but have to be under the seat in front or behind your knees. My niece travels with her dog, who probably weighs 30-35 pounds, and he can't be blocking her feet. He is a wonderful dog, but I still think it is a scam and shouldn't be allowed.
    · Reply · Share
    edited June 2017
    My nephew's ex-GF was regaling us on how easy it was to buy the ESA vest online and get an MD note so she could bring her dog onboard free to fly from CA to HI. Abuse of the system is rampant. There are dogs frequently brought to the shopping malls, markets and clothing stores. If you have severe allergies to dogs, I guess you have to avoid all these places. So far, I've only seen dogs taken everywhere but won't be surprised if folks start bring other animals as well.

I've not sat beside anyone who had an animal in a seat on a plane and would immediately get up and get "reaccommodated." I am mildly allergic to fur and pets and a long plane ride near one would NOT be good for my health.
    edited June 2017
    · Reply · Share
  • anomanderanomander 1670 replies4 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Wow, I don't know what sort of outcome I would support but it just seems very wrong that the guy who got bitten is sent off to the hospital while the dog and its owner go on their way.

I'm allergic to cats; I get miserably stuffy and sneezy and itchy eyes. It would totally suck for me to be near one on a long flight. I wonder whose rights would take precedence, mine or a cat owner's? If the cat was a couple rows away I wouldn't even know why I was suffering an allergy attack.
    · Reply · Share
    When and where are we supposed to report our allergies so we don't gave bad allergy attacks throughout our long 5-11+ hour flights? Even if we can't see the animal, if the dander and allergens and being circulated throughout the plane, it can be a significant problem for someone who is highly allergic.
    · Reply · Share
  • IgloooIglooo 8142 replies209 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    What would be the ground for a lawsuit?
    · Reply · Share
  • greenwitchgreenwitch 8725 replies41 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    BB, which airline was that? It seems that there are no hard and fast rules. The only airline I've heard of that doesn't allow animals in the cabins with allergic passengers is Turkish Airways. And, you have to make your reservation and state your allergy before anyone else makes a reservation to travel with a pet. Any pet. They may be exempt from USA rules about animals.

I have heard stories of allergic people being removed from planes because they were "sick" and so shouldn't be flying. Nice. It seems that whoever boards first has an advantage and with ESA people preboarding with their pets, they usually have the advantage.

I flew tonight and there was a leashed but uncrated dog on each flight. Where does the bulldog go? Or the med/small dog that was cute but wouldn't be able to fit under the seat? Shouldn't people at least have to buy an extra seat like the COS or someone traveling with a cello?
    · Reply · Share
  • greenwitchgreenwitch 8725 replies41 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    The dog's owner was a veteran and the victim was worried and asked beforehand if the dog would bite him. They had just been seated. The flight was heading to San Diego so at least the victim could get off and get medical attention quickly.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4575742/Veteran-s-emotional-support-dog-bites-Delta-passenger.html
    · Reply · Share
    This is an interesting article about how a reporter was able to take a claimed ESA all over, including on a plane. The animals were: snake, pig, turkey, turtle and alpaca.

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2014/10/20/pets-allowed
    · Reply · Share
  • MaterSMaterS 1812 replies51 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    My daughter had a severe cat dander allergy episode on a flight. But there wasn't even a cat on the flight, just someone nearby with enough cat dander on their clothing for her to have a reaction.

From my experience every airline accommodates allergies differently. For peanut allergies Southwest is the best and Delta is the worst.
    · Reply · Share