Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Travel survey: What are your favorite places on earth?

Replies to: Travel survey: What are your favorite places on earth?

• HImomHImom Registered User Posts: 29,700 Senior Member
    edited August 11
    Waterton and the Prince of Wales Hotel in Ontario Canada are amazing! We were just there and the views are perfect! It really looks like the video and their photos. Glacier Park and Many Glacier Lodge are lovely as well, in Montana.

http://www.glacierparkinc.com/lodging/prince-of-wales-hotel/
  • shawbridgeshawbridge Registered User Posts: 5,258 Senior Member
    Beautiful: Canadian Rockies (Banff/Yoho and especially Lake O'Hara), Yosemite, Bali, Vietnam, Croatia (including Dubrovnik but most of the country, which is basically coast -- @doschicos, I travel all over the world and Croatia is one of the places I'd like to go back to -- didn't get to Plitvices), parts of Peru. Parts of Gold Coast of Australia. Grand Tetons. Yellowstone of the trail). Sausalito/Marin County. Much of Northern California. Zion National Park. Parts of Arizona (sunsets in Tucson, Chiricahua National Monument). Martha's Vineyard and Nantucket -- very magical places where time seems to stop or run at a slower pace. I've been all over Mexico over 35 years. Many nice places but maybe not all safe at this point. Parts of Baha California Sur on the Gulf of Cortez (e.g., Los Barriles), loved snorkeling in Cozumel years ago, Tulum, some towns in Riviera Nayarit. King's Canyon NP in Australia. Canmore, Alberta (town just ringed by huge mountains).

Much of Italy north of Rome: Many hill towns (e.g., San Gimignano) in Tuscany and Umbria. Siena, Florence, Padova, Trieste, Capriva del Friuli.

Amazing: El Rosario, MIchoacan State. Mexico; Great Barrier Reef; Machu Picchu, Lake O'Hara area, Angel's Landing in Zion NP. I proposed to ShawWife on top of Half Dome in Yosemite.

Guided tours in Israel -- the place is just chock full of history.

Cities: Jerusalem is the prettiest city I've been to or maybe Dubrovnik. San Francisco could be if it weren't so gritty/dirty. Vancouver is great.

I liked Stockholm and Copenhagen. Oxford and Cambridge are lovely university towns. I really enjoy London. NY is a great city to visit for short bursts (though I did live there for 6 years and was happy to leave).

Places I am not crazy about: Kuwait, Jakarta, a number of inland US cities, Frankfurt. Caracas/Venezuela generally. Switzerland is lovely but way too buttoned up.

Places that seem overrated: Toronto, San Antonio (I concur). I've never really like New Orleans but have only been there on business. Similarly, never been a fan of Atlanta but have always been there on business. Venice (never my favorite place, though I've been there quite a number of times). Didn't love Cambodia but was only there for a few days in a trip with Vietnam and Koh Samui in Thailand.

Places I'd like to go: the Greek Islands, South Africa, Nepal, the Amazon, San Cristobal de las Casas, Brazil other than SP, Ecuador/Galapagos, hiking in Scotland, Petra, Myanmar, Laos.
  • BunsenBurnerBunsenBurner Registered User Posts: 32,756 Senior Member
    My favorite place on Earth right now is our backyard deck. The sliver of the lake that can be seen from it is amazing. This summer was a gift from Mother Nature!

@shawbridge - you should revisit Atlanta. It has a cool downtown and great food. Mr. was there on business and I just tagged along. I had a much better experience than he did. :) Come visit Seattle - it is lovely in the summer (I find it charming even when it is grey and nasty, but I am biased).
    @BunsenBurner, interesting about Atlanta. Haven't been to Seattle in years. One of my former students was a muckety-muck there. It was beautiful and grey. Looked generally like a lovely place.

Spent a long weekend in Portland last year with ShawD. I thought it would be a good place for a kid starting out to live. Not that expensive, pretty easy to get around, lots of nice scenery. Something of a smaller version of Seattle, no? But grey and rainy for about half our time there.
  • BunsenBurnerBunsenBurner Registered User Posts: 32,756 Senior Member
    Yes, Portland is a great place for youngsters. And
    oldsters, too. The folks who come to work in Seattle fall into 2 categories: the ones who hate it and leave right away and the ones who get so used to the grey that feels normal to them and they love it. The greenery definitely helps! :)
  • doschicosdoschicos Registered User Posts: 14,692 Senior Member
    I've been to Atlanta a few times and it has always struck me as a better place to live than visit. Traffic sucks, though.
    @whatisyourquest, Croatia is lovely. The food is so-so except the octopus, which is the best I've had anyplace. Squid very good too. Otherwise, nothing to write home about, but I'd generally say the same thing for Greece. Not clear why the fish in Croatia isn't fabulous as the whole country is coast -- and very beautiful coast at that. To me, the cost seemed lower than Italy and the parts of Greece I've visited. But, my cost comparison is just recollection. Among the nice things about Croatia for Americans: people speak English. Not so much in Greece or Italy. Post the wars, they realized that they would need to rely on tourism and hence Germans and English-speakers.
  • doschicosdoschicos Registered User Posts: 14,692 Senior Member
    edited August 29
    I admit that food quality/cuisine ranks very highly when choosing my vacation destinations. Doesn't need to be expensive just needs to be good. :D
  • Middleman68Middleman68 Registered User Posts: 172 Junior Member
    New York's Finger Lakes. Tranquil and endlessly beautiful.
  • jShabbyjShabby Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
    I have been dreaming of going to Cabo San Lucas in Mexico ever since. I find the place perfect for couples. I have been to Boracay too and it's a cool getaway with friends. Loving the night life there. It's in the Philippines, btw. I've been there just once and wanting to come back again soon.
  • woodlandsmomwoodlandsmom Registered User Posts: 340 Member
    edited October 19
    Best places: Pagosa Springs, CO (beautiful, great hiking, relaxing), London (easy to navigate with the tube, lots to see in the immediate area and the pubs are fun) Germany and Austria (went to Hallstadt, Austria and the mountain comes out of the lake in this beautiful little town and it also has ice caves) we also went to the Eagle's nest where Hitler visited with Eva Braun and it was interesting historically speaking. Italy (food, people, climate, leather...my favorite part is Tuscany where there are beautiful old churches and charming outdoor cafes)

Good places for kids: South Padre Island (pretty clean beaches and it is shallow a long way so all ages can boogie board, simple seafood restaurants) Hyatt Hill Country in San Antonio (lazy river, golf, lots of quaint sitting areas, games on the lawn like twister and croquet, s'mores at night and country music by a fire pit)

Great place with my husband: Napa (great wine, beautiful weather, awesome food although it was a little too sophisticated for my redneck pallet with rabbit, beet salads, lamb, etc. but I usually found something delicious to eat)

Bucket List : Australia, Prague, South America
  • whatisyourquestwhatisyourquest Registered User Posts: 603 Member
    @woodlandsmom I agree that Hallstatt is beautiful... I mentioned the Salzkammergut in the OP. There are many beautiful lakes and picturesque villages in that area (Wolfgangsee, Attersee, Traunsee, etc). On a calm day, the mountains reflect perfectly in the water. Like when Forrest Gump was on his cross-country run.
  • HImomHImom Registered User Posts: 29,700 Senior Member
    Waterton in Canada is gorgeous as is Yosemite, especially when you go off season, like now. Just saw both of these in July and October.
  • ChoatieMomChoatieMom Registered User Posts: 3,645 Senior Member
    Maine. Anyplace in Maine.