Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Maintenance will occur on the site beginning at 10:00 am PT tomorrow morning. While it is very unlikely, this may result in intermittent down time. Thank you in advance for your understanding!

Travel survey: What are your favorite places on earth?

Replies to: Travel survey: What are your favorite places on earth?

• Rivet2000Rivet2000 Registered User Posts: 248 Junior Member
    Heron Island, Australia
    Lamanai, Belize
    Barcelona, Spain
  • parsocparsoc Registered User Posts: 47 Junior Member
    Favorite place is 2 hours hike upstream in the Virgin River narrows in Zion National Park. No place like it. And pretty much any reasonably able-bodied person can get there (not like some of the favorites mentioned in this thread!)
  • powercropperpowercropper Registered User Posts: 1,419 Senior Member
    Strikingly beautiful--Lake Tahoe. Visited one week after 20 feet of snow fell. The peace and quiet of the snow surrounding the deep lake water and the tall mountains combined to create a magical vista. Better than the Grand Canyon!

Playa del Carmen Beach--the color of the ocean just blew me away , the sand was magical, and the overall view while sitting on the beach overwhelmed my heart.

North Vancouver--enjoyed my visit to Vancouver, the overall cleanliness of the city, friendliness of the locals, and natural beauty found so close to downtown made for a memorable vacation. The snapshot in my head, though, is at a spot on the lake. Pretty sure it was in or near North Vancouver. A park and marina was situated next to a small street of shops, and the memory of walking around that area warms my heart. As I looked out at the sailboats on the lake, I spied an artist painting exactly what I was seeing. It somehow validated how perfect this scene was.
  • whatisyourquestwhatisyourquest Registered User Posts: 606 Member
    edited June 23
    @MaineLonghorn I prefer the Texas Hill Country over San Antonio, too. We've had several family vacations at Concan on the Comal River. It's nice to go tubing, bbq in the evening, and watch the fireflies light up and the deer coming in to graze.
    edited June 23
    I found the Grand Canyon less awe-inspiring than most people. There is a scene in the movie Guilt Trip, in which Seth Rogen and Barbra Streisand look out at the Grand Canyon, and ask "how long do we have to stand here, out of respect?" Ha. It was like that for me. I much prefer Bryce Canyon and Arches National Park.
  • preppedparentpreppedparent Registered User Posts: 2,364 Senior Member
    edited June 23
    Best shopping, eating and movie buff history (Bruce Lee): Hong Kong, hands down
    Prettiest Beach: Half Moon Bay, Turks & Caicos
    Best High Tea and Fun Shopping: Harrod's of London, Georgian Room
    Best Bagpiping/Shortbread: Highlands, Scotland, Loch Lomond, Loch Ness and Helen Dean's shortbread
    Best Catamaran Ride: Thira, Santorini
    Best Hideaway from the hustle and bustle of the City: Catalina Island
  • preppedparentpreppedparent Registered User Posts: 2,364 Senior Member
    Oh and
    Best Nature Retreat: Humboldt Redwoods State Park and Big Sur
  • intparentintparent Registered User Posts: 30,063 Senior Member
    Tikal in Guatemala. Now I'm inspired to go to more World Heritage sites.
    edited June 23
    @1Dreamer About Phuket... On the positive side: we stayed in a fantastic private villa, the Thai people are very warm and welcoming, we ate lots of great food, and the trip was relatively inexpensive.. On the negative side: there was a lot of trash on the beaches and we found Patong to be awful... You can hire a boat to take you to the best beaches [Phi Phi and Maya Bay (made famous by the movie The Beach with Leo DeCaprio) are two of them] but there are hundreds of other people (primarily Australians and Russians) doing exactly the same thing. Unfortunately, many of these tourists throw bottles and other trash off the boats and into the water. We saw it happen... I've read that Thailand is now limiting access to these beaches, exactly because of this overcrowding and uncleanliness.

Regarding Costa Rica, we only went to Tamarindo. There's lots more that Costa Rica has to offer, so I don't want to dis Costa Rica in general. But we found the beaches in Tamarindo to be pretty poor, especially compared to those of Punta Cana and Moorea (phenomenal!) and the vibe in Tamarindo was way too Americanized - not much local flavor. At least, that was our experience.

Many favorable comments here about Prague. It's shot up my list for future travel.

I agree about Barcelona. It has everything! Most people make a beeline to La Sagrada Familia. But my favorite Gaudi building, by far, is Casa Battlo. Park Guell is very cool too... Barcelona has lively beaches as well and good waterfront restaurants in Barceloneta.

There is a spectrum of people in Brazil, as there is everywhere. Many in the attractive category, as you mentioned. A lot of the appeal of Brazilians though comes IMO from how comfortable they feel in their skin. The women never wear what my wife calls a "parachute" for bikini bottoms.

@preppedparent Funny that you mentioned the Santorini catamaran. We did it just last week. Loved the whole experience and took tons of pictures.
  • 1Dreamer1Dreamer Registered User Posts: 398 Member
    ^^^Interesting, but ugh. That is disappointing. Thanks for the response and feedback. I'll keep it in mind.
  • NoVADad99NoVADad99 Registered User Posts: 2,291 Senior Member
    edited June 23
    Agree on Riverwalk. Been a couple of times, and I still think that it's just a ditch of dirty water surrounded by tourist trap restaurants and bars.

Most beautiful place: Kauai. Each side of the island has its unique places. Certainly the most lush and laid back of the big islands. The Canadian Rockies is a close second. Driving the Ice Fields Parkway between Banff and Jasper offers such spectacular views of the mountains, lakes, and glaciers.

Best city: Paris. No other city has so much to offer as the City of Lights. Spend some time there and try to enjoy the little things that Parisians do.

Other favorites: Maine. Bar Harbor and Acadia National Park.

Bucket List: Antarctica, Andes, Norwegian coastal cruise, Trans-Siberian Railway, Japan.
  • MagnetronMagnetron Registered User Posts: 2,201 Senior Member
    Here are some broad categories and my selections...

Stunningly beautiful: North Cascades, Wind River Range, Yellowstone, Whistler, Swiss Alps, Pyrenees (see the thread?)

Fascinating culturally: Andorra, Jura region of Switzerland

Let’s party: Costa Brava Spain, Amsterdam, Cabo

Major disappointments: Rome, Barcelona, every time I've been to Texas

Bucket list: Alaska (I've been to 49 states), Oaxaca, New Zealand, float the middle fork of the Salmon River in Idaho.

Plan on avoiding: All of Asia, Africa, the Middle East
  • mathmommathmom Registered User Posts: 29,714 Senior Member
    edited June 23
    Beautiful: Scotland, Petra (Jordan), Monterey/Carmel area, Uganda, Wadi Rum (Jordan), Tanzania, Sierra Nevada hiking
    Best architecture: Oxford, Bath, Los Angeles, Chicago
    Fascinating Culturally: Petra, Rome, Paris, London
    Favorite Cities: NYC, Chicago, Los Angeles, Rome
    Best Food: Germany (surprisingly wonderful fish and salads), Scotland (not just haggis which I like), San Francisco
    Great wine: Burgundy, Champagne, Sonoma, Napa, Carmel Valley area
    Bucket list: Iceland, China, Australia