Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Travel survey: What are your favorite places on earth?

whatisyourquestwhatisyourquest Registered User Posts: 612 Member
I love to travel and was wondering about the experiences of CC folks. Maybe I've missed a fantastic place, so far -- or there are others that I should avoid (not waste time and money on).

Here are some broad categories and my selections...

Stunningly beautiful: Santorini. Salzkammergut, Austria

Fascinating culturally: Bali. Paris. Florence. Barcelona.

Let’s party: Majorca. Mykonos.

Major disappointments: Phuket. Tamarindo, Costa Rica.

Bucket list: Iceland. Aruba. Amalfi Coast.

Feel free to add categories. Obviously, there can be some overlap. For instance, Barcelona is simultaneously beautiful, cultural, and fun.

Replies to: Travel survey: What are your favorite places on earth?

• FallGirlFallGirl Registered User Posts: 7,488 Senior Member
    Beautiful: French Riviera (Nice, Monaco, etc), Vancouver
    Fascinating Culturally: Prague, Thessaloniki
    Favorite Cities: NYC, Chicago, Hong Kong
    Bucket list: Iceland, Northern Italy, Napa Valley
  • conmamaconmama Registered User Posts: 2,875 Senior Member
    Fun! And I like these because it either validates what others say and it puts on my bucket list or not. Two that you have on there are Santorini and Barcelona! Now I want to go. I've not traveled as much as you and I'm just listing a few, but here goes.

STunnjngly Beautiful: Rio de Janeiro, Amalfi Coast...specifically Positano

Fascinating Culturally: South America

Disappointments: Rincon, Puerto Rico

Bucket List: Florence, London, Now Santorini and Barcelona, Quebec City. At home, San Antonio Riverwalk

• whatisyourquestwhatisyourquest Registered User Posts: 612 Member
    edited June 23
    @FallGirl I agree about Vancouver being really beautiful... I've never been to Prague, although I'm a big Kafka fan. Budapest, either. I lived in Vienna for a while, but the Iron Curtain hadn't fallen yet, so traveling to the Eastern Bloc countries didn't happen.

@conmama I love Rio too, and have spent a lot of time in Brazil. My wife is Brazilian... The Rio beaches and surrounding hills and mountains are amazing. Too bad that there is so much crime in Rio though... Another bucket place is Fernando de Noronha, My wife says it's the most gorgeous place in Brazil... Thanks for endorsing the Amalfi Coast! Can't wait to visit... I didn't like the Riverwalk, even though I'm originally from Texas. The restaurants there are ridiculously expensive. Some places charge $50 for a Mexican food entree.
    @FallGirl , I need to add Napa to my bucket list! Some of the places I've been on your list but it's been so long, I barely remember. I'd love to learn more about Hong Kong. DH wants to go there, but I'm skeptical.

@whatisyourquest ...My cousin, who is from another part of SA, moved to Rio to go to college and married a Carioca! We've been twice and the topography is hard to be matched, it's so unique. The first time I was there was almost 35 years ago and my cousins wouldn't let us wear cologne, carry a camera or wear any type of jewelry except wood. But we had a blast as it was over NYE. We lunched at the restaurant where The Girl from Ipanema was written, joined in to a band and danced down the streets, stopped our car on the highway towards midnight because there was a traffic jam and everyone abandoned their cars....haha. We even drove thru a flavela. Very interesting city.
  • NEPatsGirlNEPatsGirl Registered User Posts: 2,228 Senior Member
    My favorite places: Old San Juan, Northern Italy, North shore of Oahu, Coral Bay area of St. John, Isla Mujeres, Tulum, and Cape Cod National Seashore for some of the best beaches in the world (and just down the street from me).

Disappointing places: Definitely San Antonio (Riverwalk especially), NOLA, Roatan, Cancun, Fajardo PR

Bucket List: Barcelona, NAPA valley, Iceland, Greek Isles, Italian Riviera
    Ok...that's two disappointments for Riverwalk, please tell me why? Or you can PM me. It looks so much fun.
  • whatisyourquestwhatisyourquest Registered User Posts: 612 Member
    @conmama Lucky! I've never been to Rio for New Year's. I've been to Buzios, the nearby resort area then though. New Year's is the favorite holiday of the Brazilians I know. They wear white and "jump the waves" for good luck. You must have seen the blowout fireworks displays at Ipanema. I've just seen YouTube videos. Very cool.

@NEPatsGirl Thanks for the tip about Coral Bay, St. John. I've never been there and want to explore the Caribbean more... Interesting that you too found the Riverwalk disappointing.
  • MaineLonghornMaineLonghorn Super Moderator Posts: 31,802 Super Moderator
    I'm from Austin, so I've been to the Riverwalk quite a few times. I like it, but I wouldn't make it a destination trip from out of state. There's just not that much to it. You go to some shops and restaurants and then take a boat ride on the narrow "river" - more like a creek. I've also never understood the fascination with San Antonio in general, although I do love visiting the Alamo, since one of my ancestors was Sam Houston's quartermaster (he wasn't at the Alamo, fortunately).

I like Austin and other parts of the Hill Country better. But I'm probably prejudiced.
  • MaineLonghornMaineLonghorn Super Moderator Posts: 31,802 Super Moderator
    South Africa is my favorite country. Safaris in Kruger National Park or the adjacent game preserves (which have no fences between them and Kruger) are out-of-this world, and Cape Town is incredibly beautiful - the mountains right next to the ocean are breathtaking. It looks like I will be going back for the fifth time in 2018. :)
  • abasketabasket Registered User Posts: 16,769 Senior Member
    To me, the Riverwalk is someplace to stay/see if you need to be in San Antonio anyway. It's a cool spot to spend a little time - but not enough to vacation to. Walk, shop, eat, look around, take the short boat ride. One afternoon/day, done.
  • sorghumsorghum Registered User Posts: 3,312 Senior Member
    edited June 23
    Beautiful: Danube Delta (Romania/Ukraine); Etosha National Park (Namibia)
    Fascinating Culturally: Sri Lanka, Cambodia, Iran
    Favorite Cities: Budapest, Tel Aviv
    Disappointments: The only place I ever went that I really didn't like was Karachi. Well, San Francisco kinda sucks too (2017).
    Bucket list: Ireland, Costa Rica, some of the national parks in Zambia
  • emilybeeemilybee Registered User Posts: 12,139 Senior Member
    Bermuda
    Paris
    Barca

Tons of cities I love to visit in NA.

Re:Riverwalk. We were just there last mouth. It's very pretty. Took the boat ride, went to the Museum of Western Art, La Villeta and walked over to The Alamo at night when it's all lit up. Stayed at lovely boutique hotel (La Valencia) on the walk but at the quiet end. Excellent restaurant right beneath our hotel. Weather was absolutely gorgeous. Did a ton of walking. Loved the flora along the walk. We were there 1 1/2 days then went to Austin for family function. We were there 4 days. Loved Austin.
  • 88jm1988jm19 Registered User Posts: 583 Member
    Favorite places:
    -- Hawaii, Italy (Florence, Rome), Spain (enjoyed everywhere we've visited...Barcelona, Madrid, Seville, Cadiz, Ronda)...then Paris, London, Berlin, Stockholm...heck, everywhere we've visited in Europe.

As someone who made my first trip to Europe 4 years ago, my husband and I have made 4 extended trips there. We plan to take 1-2 trips there per year while we are in good shape. Next up is Amsterdam and Portugal. Then probably Prague and Budapest.

We're also thinking about Tokyo for the Olympics in 2020. I've never been to Asia.
  • GatormamaGatormama Registered User Posts: 747 Member
    edited June 23
    Stunningly beautiful: Hawaii (Hana particularly), Montana (the Rockies in general), Caribbean
    Best cities: NYC, Sydney, New Orleans
    Disappointment: Ireland (lots of rain, that good ol' dank British Isles vibe)
    Bucket list: Thailand
  • ScreennamekiddoScreennamekiddo Registered User Posts: 67 Junior Member
    edited June 23
    The most beautiful place I've visited is, The Nā Pali Coast State Park of Kauai.
    The best place place to spend the day walking all over town is Madrid.
    Incredible late night star gazing was near Las Cruces, New Mexico.
    The Best food with the most irritating waiters is Milan Italy.
    My favorite and the most friendly city is Chicago!
    And last but definitely not least, NYC is the best place to experience people from all over the world.