Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

U Tennesee professor’s response to student who missed class for baby

Replies to: U Tennesee professor’s response to student who missed class for baby

• utex2011utex2011 Registered User Posts: 55 Junior Member
    You asked a simple question, and you don't like, nor can consider anyone else's answer.

The question was never answered.
    How can you not see the difference between getting drunk and oversleeping versus taking care of a child? One is irresponsible behavior and the other is the most responsible behavior there is. To not recognize that difference is very odd, frankly.

This girl was too busy on Twitter posting her 60,000 tweets and was irresponsible in finding childcare. If you get drunk and oversleep and miss a quiz that's irresponsible as well. Same thing, just different circumstances.
    You assume it's easy to find safe childcare, I assure you it is not. That is my experience of 22 years raising 4 children.

Actually it's very easy: https://www.care.com/edu/university-of-tennessee

• alwaysamomalwaysamom Registered User Posts: 12,175 Senior Member
    if you are generous with one student you have to be generous with the next student

Oh, the horror of being a caring and generous person!
    Oh, the horror of being a caring and generous person!

This has never been answered, but where does the caring and generousness end? This is why there are rules. If there is a quiz and you aren't there for the quiz you get a zero. It's as simple as that. I don't understand why this is so hard for some people to understand.
  • alwaysamomalwaysamom Registered User Posts: 12,175 Senior Member
    edited June 2017
    @utex2011 I certainly hope that you learn how to be more compassionate and understanding before you ever become a parent. Your hard views of rules in life just aren't reality for most people, and your inability to understand or even consider others' opinions are unreasonable. Caring and generosity don't end. They are, unfortunately, very lacking in much of today's society, which you have clearly illustrated. You joined the forum less than 12 hours ago and have done nothing but post antagonistic comments. I, too, will bid you good day because this 'discussion' is pointless.
  • HarvestMoon1HarvestMoon1 Registered User Posts: 6,227 Senior Member
    @utex2011 did you miss this part about the young woman?
    King has had a tough time recently. She lost her mother to breast cancer last year and she’s working hard to finish her degree....... King says she wants to work with children with special needs.

I have zero issue with a professor extending a little kindness to this young woman. It was an offer meant to apply in situations where she was in a bind -- I didn't interpret it as something the professor would expect to happen every week.

And the professor also explains in her email why she thinks it would be appropriate to have the baby visit the class:
    I work for the Department of Child and Family Studies, so how terrible would it be be if I was unwilling to have a child visit our class?

Sounds reasonable to me. Anyway, her class her call.
    @alwaysamom Actually I'm very happy being childfree by choice, but I love my relative's and friend's kids and take care of them from time to time.

You might not know it, but I'm a very compassionate person. I love helping others and do so when I can.

Actually I understood and considered opinions very well, but I just never got answers to any of my questions and even disputed some of the things written on here, which were obviously ignored.

So, I guess according to you there should be no rules and life should be all about caring and generosity.

I am not sure what field of work you are in, but the hard views of rules are definitely reality for me. I guess maybe I just didn't grow up sheltered like others.
  • MACmiracleMACmiracle Registered User Posts: 1,462 Senior Member
    You can't look at a list of names and profiles and assume there is even one that you would trust leaving a baby with.

Did you look at the process recommended in the website to find the caregivers? It's involved and time-consuming.
  • am9799am9799 Registered User Posts: 812 Member
    OP I don't know what you are talking about. I have several degrees and during all my schooling (a lot of years) I had to miss not one but a few quizzes, tests etc because of various emergencies. I did not have a baby or social media back then. I was a serious student. I never got a zero. Never. I would arrange with my profs to take them soon after. That actually was the "rule" in several colleges I attended: If you had an emergency you communicated with your professor.
    And in the jobs I worked you don't get fired if you don't show up one day. It is not as simple as that. You have sick days, you have personal days etc. You might get a short unpaid leave. You get fired if there is a pattern, other issues etc. There might be the kind of a job that you do get fired I don't know but none of the jobs I or my friends have you get fired by not showing up for one day.
    You can't look at a list of names and profiles and assume there is even one that you would trust leaving a baby with.

Did you look at the process recommended in the website to find the caregivers? It's involved and time-consuming.

Being a parent is time-consuming.

@HarvestMoon1

Yes I saw that and I am sorry her Mother died last year.
    I have zero issue with a professor extending a little kindness to this young woman. It was an offer meant to apply in situations where she was in a bind -- I didn't interpret it as something the professor would expect to happen every week.

Let's say another student was in a bind and missed the quiz because they set their alarm for p.m. instead of a.m, another was in a bind because of an accident on the freeway and was late and missed the quiz, another because they had to take care of her ailing pet. Where is the line drawn? That was my only question.
    OP I don't know what you are talking about. I have several degrees and during all my schooling (a lot of years) I had to miss not one but a few quizzes, tests etc because of various emergencies. I did not have a baby or social media back then. I was a serious student. I never got a zero. Never. I would arrange with my profs to take them soon after. That actually was the "rule" in several colleges I attended: If you had an emergency you communicated with your professor.
    And in the jobs I worked you don't get fired if you don't show up one day. It is not as simple as that. You have sick days, you have personal days etc. You might get a short unpaid leave. You get fired if there is a pattern, other issues etc. There might be the kind of a job that you do get fired I don't know but none of the jobs I or my friends have you get fired by not showing up for one day.

When I went to school not too long ago the only way you were able to retake anything was with a doctor's note.

Of course you don't get fired after one day. Nobody ever said that. I said if you don't follow the rules and don't do the work you are fired.
  • roethlisburgerroethlisburger Registered User Posts: 2,267 Senior Member
    Babies cry or make noise, which can be distracting and unfair to the rest of the class. If the kid was 7 instead of 3 months, I might look at it differently.
  • TanbikoTanbiko Registered User Posts: 280 Junior Member
    This is a Child Studies class. This baby can be considered as advanced laboratory equipment. If she cries it will be even better. Crying is a major part of child development.

In the real world, all good employers and managers accommodate their employees. They know that they will get more work out of them this way.
    @Tanbiko This hasn't been answered, but how is a professor holding a student's baby while trying to teach class going to help the students?

If she cries it will be even better? No, that will just be distracting for the professor to get through the coursework.

You're right, I guess it's ok for people to bring their babies to work.
This discussion has been closed.