Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Authorities: Texas mom left 2 kids hot car

utex2011utex2011 Registered User Posts: 55 Junior Member

Replies to: Authorities: Texas mom left 2 kids hot car

• Nrdsb4Nrdsb4 Registered User Posts: 16,135 Senior Member
    I read about that the other day. It's just impossible for me to get my head around what she did.
  • techmom99techmom99 Registered User Posts: 3,014 Senior Member
    Some people should be forcibly sterilized. She actually thought a 3 year old could unlock a car door and retrieve a one year old (who may have been in a car seat) and get back into the house - this is part of the reason why I oppose legalizing pot, it can impact your judgment and reaction abilities. The death penalty is too good for this horror show, unless they put her in a hot car...
  • katliamomkatliamom Registered User Posts: 12,284 Senior Member
    edited June 2017
    "Some people should be forcibly sterilized."

That's what Hitler said. (And did.)
  • JustaMomJustaMom Registered User Posts: 2,578 Senior Member
    Trust me @techmom99 smoking "pot" didn't make her a dumba$$ - she was a 24 year old making babies before her brain had fully formed, and able to make rational decisions.

RIP little babies, I'm ever so sorry for your short time on this earth.
  • partyof5partyof5 Registered User Posts: 2,563 Senior Member
    How awful that those poor babies had to die suffocating from heat being locked in a car. Does she have mental issues?
  • hrh19hrh19 Registered User Posts: 817 Member
    My heart breaks for the children, their father, and their grandparents/extended family. This is so sad.
  • utex2011utex2011 Registered User Posts: 55 Junior Member
    Some people should be forcibly sterilized. She actually thought a 3 year old could unlock a car door and retrieve a one year old (who may have been in a car seat) and get back into the house - this is part of the reason why I oppose legalizing pot, it can impact your judgment and reaction abilities. The death penalty is too good for this horror show, unless they put her in a hot car...

Very true. Taking pot around kids is something that shouldn't be done and I'm not sure if that had any contribution with what happened, but it certainly doesn't help.
    I know people who smoke and they seem perfectly competent

They might "seem" competent, but could they drive a car well, take care of their children well, etc.?

Here's some facts about pot showing that it can greatly affect judgement: http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/dope/body/effects.html
  • ConsolationConsolation Registered User Posts: 22,788 Senior Member
    edited June 2017
    @utex2011, I know plenty of people who smoke pot and NONE of them would leave their children or their dogs or any living being in a locked car in the sun in the summer. They also do not drive when high. Even this scumbag apparently waited until she got home...AFTER she made the decision to leave her kids locked in the car. It's like asking whether a person who has wine with dinner can take care of their children.

And "take pot"? Seriously?

• romanigypsyeyesromanigypsyeyes Registered User Posts: 33,723 Senior Member
    edited June 2017
    Oh come on. My mom smoked weed my entire childhood and still does. Never ever ever ever was I ever in danger.

Pot is way less impairing than alcohol.

This mother was incompetent. I do not know if she actively meant to kill her children but it had zero to do with the weed.
    Oh come on. My mom smoked weed my entire childhood and still do. Never ever ever ever was I ever in danger.

Pot is way less impairing than alcohol.

So you think it's ok your Mother broke the law?

Marijuana is impairing. That is a FACT.
    edited June 2017
    I know plenty of people who smoke pot and NONE of them would leave their children or their dogs or any living being in a locked car in the sun in the summer. They also do not drive when high. Even this scumbag apparently waited until she got home...AFTER she made the decision to leave her kids locked in the car. It's like asking whether a person who has wine with dinner can take care of their children.

How do you know none of them would do that? I bet some people probably said the same things about this mother.

Drinking a glass of wine and doing drugs is not a valid comparison.

I am not sure what you are trying to infer.
  • romanigypsyeyesromanigypsyeyes Registered User Posts: 33,723 Senior Member
    Whatever. I'm not re-litigating the stupid ban on weed.

Oh, and I break the law all the time too just because I don't have a medical marijuana card. I qualify as I have a debilitating illness but I'm not paying the $100+ and waiting several months for the state to tell me whether or not I can consume a plant.

People who fight against pot have way too much time on their hands. Go tackle a real problem.
This discussion has been closed.