Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

New iPad Pro

2»

Replies to: New iPad Pro

• MomofWildChildMomofWildChild Registered User Posts: 22,393 Senior Member
    I don't feel the iPad is a good laptop replacement due to storage (on laptop) of data, document editing, etc. Yes, you can buy programs to let you do that, but to me it isn't the same. That said, I get by pretty well on short business trips with just the iPad. I am able to see redlined documents in a program called Docusign.
  • anomanderanomander Registered User Posts: 1,553 Senior Member
    Definitely no way an iPad replaces a laptop. I have a MacBook Pro and an iPad Air 2. I'll carry the iPad for 1- or 2-day business trips when I know I don't have much "real" work to do, but for longer trips I bring the laptop.

The issue for me is needing to work with multiple windows at once, including dragging/dropping and copy-paste. Also searching for particular files, working with applications on the laptop, etc. More sophisticated email and calendering tasks are also easier on the laptop (or just not possible on the iPad). There's a myriad of things you can't do, or at least can't do easily, on the iPad.

Although I should add it depends on what you need to do for work. I'm sure some people can get by just fine with an iPad as a laptop replacement. For me personally, no way.
  • somemomsomemom Registered User Posts: 10,880 Senior Member
    I plan to use the ipad for things like being out of the office for the afternoon, where these old eyes just aren't comfortable quoting numbers on my phone, I ought to be able to "keep the wheels on" the business stuff for an afternoon or during travel, but still plan to have my laptop, too.

Give us a case review in a week or two Jym
  • jym626jym626 Registered User Posts: 55,618 Senior Member
    @anomander - the new ipad pro has a split screen option. I can have cc open on the main screen and my emails on the right side. And you can scroll through other apps/windows on that right side thing. Kinda fun! When the new ios11 comes out in the fall, it will allow the cut/past/dragging, etc. Watch the ipad pro video for a sneak peek. I still wouldn't consider the ipad a replacement for a computer, but the new features are cool and the screen picture is incredible sharp.
    I am glad I had DH buy the case yesterday, as every apple store in the area now shows no availability, with the next shipment due in July 31.Lucked out on that one..... I think.
    Still getting used to the case with the back kickstand. Preferred the style on my zagg where the iPad sat in a slot on the keyboard. But the zagg fell apart and/or stopped working frequently (they replaced it twice). I sent them an email with photos just to let them know what happened to the latest one, but wasn't expecting anything. They sent me a $10 gift card, but the only thing in their lineup for the new iPad is a $59 or so glass shield. I'll pass.
    My new Favormates keyboard case has the slot for the iPad and was about $55. I'm very happy with it so far. not sure they have the size for your new iPad.
  • apraxiamomapraxiamom Registered User Posts: 667 Member
    I got one on Amazon. Supracase? Around $14 and works great!
    edited July 2017
    Still not seeing a case with backlit keyboard on amazon yet. And the auto connection with the iPad that doesn't require Bluetooth or recharging is sweet. Did just see one with a keyboard on Amazon. Don't think it's backlit and it's Bluetooth, which is ok by I like this smart connect much better.
    I'm perfectly happy with the bluetooth connection. The keyboard is backlit on mine. Won't work for yours, though.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06Y2B91HJ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    I had issues several times with the Bluetooth not syncing on my old iPad/case. Was able to turn everything off and on but it was a PITA . And the several times the case died and wouldn't respond I had to go through all that, and confirm too that the case was charged, before zagg CS acknowledged it was dead.
  • Mezzo'sMamaMezzo'sMama Forum Champion Music Major Posts: 3,549 Forum Champion
    Have kids who work for Apple and one of them has had an iPad Pro since January. She loves it and uses a Logitech keyboard case. I use a Speck case with my iPad Mini and although it's taken several months for the "smell" of the case to finally go away, I really like it!
2»
This discussion has been closed.