Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Favorite Hotels/Restaurants in Coastal Maine --Portland and Bar Harbor

oregon101oregon101 Registered User Posts: 5,162 Senior Member
We will be traveling the coast of Maine the 3rd week of September coming from Boston.
We are two nights in Portland Maine and 4 nights in Bar Harbor area.

Would love some opinions about accommodations.
My vice in life is not designer purses or shoes but really nice hotels with views if possible.
Location is also important as we like to take walks in the evening.

Also, any favorite restaurants?

Thanks!

Replies to: Favorite Hotels/Restaurants in Coastal Maine --Portland and Bar Harbor

• kiddiekiddie Registered User Posts: 3,172 Senior Member
    Love the West Street Hotel in Bar Harbor (rooms with Harbor view are wonderful - have stayed there a few times). You can walk through town from the hotel or do the scenic walk nearby (called the shore path). They have a wonderful infinity pool on the roof. Their restaurant Paddy's is also very good - serving a large variety from a good burger to fish and chips to salad, etc.

You need to keep in mind that after Labor Day is out of season for Bar Harbor and therefore some things will be closed for the year already.
  • emilybeeemilybee Registered User Posts: 12,924 Senior Member
    Two of our favorites in Portland - Fore Street for dinner http://www.forestreet.biz and Duckfat for lunch http://duckfat.com

For old style lobster house - we were taken to Gilbert's by Mainers who've lived there for generations. http://www.gilbertschowderhouse.com

Can't help you with hotels in Portland but my kid and friends have stayed in some lovely airbnb in Cape Elizabeth (right outside Portland.)
  • NoVADad99NoVADad99 Registered User Posts: 2,291 Senior Member
    In Bar Harbor area, drive down to the little fishing port of Bernard on Mt Desert Island. Thurston's Lobster Pound. I'm allergic to them, but my family loved the lobsters there.
  • PetitMananPetitManan Registered User Posts: 14 New Member
    Portland is quite the foodie town, so you'll have plenty of options! I echo Fore Street and Duckfat in Portland! Fore Street is excellent. Definitely get the poutine at Duckfat. Yum.

Also don't miss Holy Donuts. Best. Doughnuts. Evah....! Really amazing doughnuts made with potatoes. Sounds weird, but they are seriously good.

You might also try Central Provisions and East Ender (next to Duck Fat). Excellent food.

The Portland Regency Hotel is maybe a bit expensive but really nice and centrally-located. Walk everywhere.... It's in the old renovated armory building.

Enjoy Maine! :)
    I can second the vote for Thurston's lobster pound - you can watch the boats unloading the lobsters while you eat them. Have been to several lobster pound type places in New England and this one is the best! We usually get the lobster roll.
  • gclsportsgclsports Registered User Posts: 461 Member
    I second Fore Street. I went there on a business trip, and the food was a little outside my comfort zone that I worried I might not like it, but it was so delicious.
    And of course you have to "Eat at Reds" in Wiscasset for their famous lobster rolls.
    I'm taking notes on Portland. My wife and I will be there during foliage season.
  • MaineLonghornMaineLonghorn Super Moderator Posts: 36,298 Super Moderator
    Freeport, about 20 miles of Portland, is a fun town. The Tuscan Bistro, close to LL Bean, is one of our new favorites. Excellent food and good atmosphere. We ate there Saturday night!

In Freeport (our stop on the way from Boston to Bar Harbor to break up the drive), we like Azure Cafe (good sandwiches) and Linda Beans (for lobster rolls). Also, Wicked Whoopies for whoopie pies (used to have them shipped to my daughter at college).
  • emilybeeemilybee Registered User Posts: 12,924 Senior Member
    I'll second Azure Cafe. We had a lovely lunch on the outdoor patio when we stayed in Freeport kid's graduation weekend.

The line at Reds can be incredibly long - but maybe not so bad after Labor Day.
  • TiredofsnowTiredofsnow Registered User Posts: 713 Member
    The Portland Regency has some rooms with balconies looking out over the rooftops, and is in a great location. We have also stayed at the Portland Harbor Hotel, which has been under renovation. I second Duckfat and Holy Donut.

If you're beer drinkers, the Allagash brewery tour was fun.
  • oregon101oregon101 Registered User Posts: 5,162 Senior Member
    Wow--maybe we will sleep in our car so we can eat our way through Maine!
    I will definitely take this list with us!
  • MaineLonghornMaineLonghorn Super Moderator Posts: 36,298 Super Moderator
    DiMillo's is a restaurant in a huge boat (used to be a ferry, maybe?) on Commercial Street in Portland. The food's OK, not great, but I would HIGHLY recommend going up on their outside deck for drinks/appetizers one warm afternoon. Really, really nice experience. :)
  • KatMTKatMT College Rep Posts: 4,135 Senior Member
    edited June 2017
    I agree with @MaineLonghorn ... not a huge, huge fan of the food at DiMillo's, but the outside deck is pretty for afternoon drinks and apps. Nearby is J's Oyster, which is not upscale, but the food is wonderful! I third Duckfat! In South Portland I like the fried clams, lobster bisque, mussels,and the view of Portland at the Salt Water Grille. Also in South Portland 158 Pickett Street Cafe is amazing for great bagels with super yummy and creative toppings, and wonderful coffee.

In South Freeport I like the Harraseeket Lunch and Lobster.
This discussion has been closed.