Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Infant overheats on delayed United flight

partyof5partyof5 Registered User Posts: 2,563 Senior Member
edited June 2017 in Parent Cafe

Replies to: Infant overheats on delayed United flight

• greenwitchgreenwitch Registered User Posts: 8,245 Senior Member
    Wow, how frightening. I've wondered why plane air is so bad when you first get on but it usually gets better while taxiing. If they have to cool people down with ice, there's a clue that the climate control should be turned on!
  • partyof5partyof5 Registered User Posts: 2,563 Senior Member
    Why was there even a debate,? Why take the risk?
  • doschicosdoschicos Registered User Posts: 19,130 Senior Member
    What a weird and horrible situation all around. I would have been dialing 911 from the tarmac if the airline wouldn't have dealt with the situation or let us off.
  • dietz199dietz199 Registered User Posts: 3,445 Senior Member
    There should be a good samaritan law like in CA where you can now break a car window to save a pet locked in a hot vehicle. The aircraft version is opening the emergency exits. This is nuts!
  • twoinanddonetwoinanddone Registered User Posts: 19,318 Senior Member
    I think the mistake was made in the mom and son getting back on the plane once they were off. It was REALLY hot that day, the flight was scheduled near noon, and I think the delays were coming from the other airports, that they were being held from taking off. United should have suggested the mom rebook to a later flight when it was cooler once she was off the plane.

I remember once when my daughter was an infant I was holding her (in my air conditioned home) and I could just feel her temperature rising. It went from normal to about 103 in just a few minutes. As soon as I got up to call the doctor and was moving around, it went down. Applying a cool cloth, down more. Babies get overheated very quickly and sitting on a hot plane is not an ideal situation.
    Here we are again!

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/mom-holds-tot-lap-flight-seat-sold-standby-traveler-article-1.3303834

United Airlines has apologized to a Hawaii woman forced to hold her toddler for an entire flight after his seat was sold to a standby passenger......

Yamauchi said she thought about contacting a flight attendant, but remembered that problems with seating led to Dr. David Dao being bloodied and dragged out of a United flight from Chicago to Louisville.

United apologized to the mother and her son on Wednesday, telling the Daily News in a statement that workers “inaccurately scanned the boarding pass of Ms. Yamauchi’s son.”

I wonder, in retrospect, if the same inaccurate scanning happened to the other family who had a standby customer claim their son's seat. Unlike this woman, they complained about it and were all booted off.
    A more thorough article: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/dr-gridlock/wp/2017/07/05/united-accidentally-gave-a-toddlers-seat-away-and-made-his-mom-hold-him-for-a-3-hour-flight/?hpid=hp_hp-more-top-stories-2_unitedflight602pm:homepage/story
    “I told him, I bought both of these seats,” she told the station. “The flight attendant came by, shrugs and says, ‘flight’s full.’”...

But at the time, Yamauchi said, she had only bad options.

“I was told if we refund you anything right now, we’re going to have to cancel the rest of your flight arrangements to Hawaii,” she told KITV.

She told Hawaii News Now that she considered protesting, but was scared to make a scene. “I started remembering all those incidents with United on the news. The violence. Teeth being knocked out,” she said.
  • romanigypsyeyesromanigypsyeyes Registered User Posts: 33,722 Senior Member
    The comments on this story on twitter were unbelievable (ok, not really, but still disgusting). A lot of "OH THE HORROR! A mother had to sit with her child on her lap!"

It's like they missed that this was a PAID seat that was taken and a child forced to sit unsafely on a parent's lap.
    I bet those twitter complainers would have a fit if they were similarly treated on a flight. They would probably have a fit if they had to sit in the same row as a lap toddler!
    Honestly, its a violation of FAA rules and United should be fined. They apparently gave the mother the run around for 5 days before apologizing and offering a (whoopee!) voucher.
    ^ And called it a "goodwill gesture."

*gag*
  • emilybeeemilybee Registered User Posts: 12,918 Senior Member
    United is beyond stupid.
  • MomofJandLMomofJandL Registered User Posts: 1,452 Senior Member
    I'm wondering whether the child's boarding pass was scanned at all. I can see a situation where a mother carrying a child hands over the boarding pass(es), and only the mother's pass gets scanned. If it was on the phone, that might be the case (although I've had problems even getting electronic boarding passes for 2 people, always have to print passes if it's not just me). Or maybe the boarding agent assumed the child was under 2 and did not have a pass and did not ask or look for it.

Now the gate agents think one passenger never boarded, so they give away the seat. Once the standby passenger is on the plane, what do you do? You have a mess is what you have. Either the cabin crew has to eject the boarded standby passenger, or the child has to sit on mom's lap. Bad situation either way. Whose fault? The boarding agent at least, and maybe the mom for not making sure both passes were scanned.

I'm not defending how United handled the mother's complaint, but can see how it could happen that would not involve malice or gross incompetence. Just humanity.
    One- it's not the mom's job to make sure the ticket is scanned. She's allowed to trust the airline staff to do their job.

Two- what is more than just "incompetence" is when the flight attendant came by and shrugged off the mom and forced her to UNSAFELY and against regulations to hold her child on her lap.

There is a less bad solution: revoke the standby customer's boarding pass and compensate him somehow. The paying customer whose only mistake was trusting the airline staff not to screw up should take priority.
This discussion has been closed.