Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Be careful helping a lost child

ucbalumnusucbalumnus Registered User Posts: 71,609 Senior Member

Replies to: Be careful helping a lost child

• bgbg4usbgbg4us Registered User Posts: 941 Member
    ^^ I happened to catch that story on the Today Show today. The parents beat up the man helping the child, thinking he was walking away with her; and posted his picture on social media saying he's a child abductor. But why would he walk away from people carrying her, rather than just standing in one site trying to find her parents?? strange story
  • anomanderanomander Registered User Posts: 1,554 Senior Member
    I saw that story too. The saddest part is the parents refuse to listen to the police trying to tell them that they're mistaken, and are continuing their mission to ruin the guy's life.
  • bjkmombjkmom Registered User Posts: 7,295 Senior Member
    It seems to me that if he's being charged with attempted kidnapping, then perhaps they should be charged with neglect for not knowing where their child was. Both are equally ridiculous. People in glass houses...

But I've got to admit: his choice of actions is bizarre. In this day and age, we know not to pick up a strange child. I'm not 100% sure I buy his story.
  • rom828rom828 Registered User Posts: 1,478 Senior Member
    The guy helping was in the company of a deputy and there were witnesses that he was asking around for her dad. He Her father and his friends are young and they were probably scared and over reacted as any parent would. And then the lack of maturity won't allow him to admit a mistake. SMH.
  • ConsolationConsolation Registered User Posts: 22,784 Senior Member
    The first thing I saw about this, sometime yesterday, was a TV report that left out a lot of details: like, ALL of the exculpatory facts. Thankfully, it did not identify the assault victim. Based only on that report, I thought his story sounded sketchy. Based on the facts in this article, it seems clear that he was well-meaning.
  • gouf78gouf78 Registered User Posts: 7,099 Senior Member
    edited June 2017
    "“I don’t know (Patel’s) intent,” he said. “Our kid was not wandering around the park". It was not long enough for me to slide my shoes off and put the cleats on that she was gone.”

Hope they don't pull that 20 second rule about watching kids around a pool.

Obviously a first time parent. Kids are FAST. Mine once crawled out of her stroller (and she was buckled in!) and took off top speed down the mall with me in hot pursuit. I had to leave everything (stroller, packages all) just abandoned to grab her. Ugh.

The article said Strickland did not condone the facebook posts and most had been taken down. Good.

Years ago my H and I were at the mall (it's always a mall for us) and we saw a little boy of about 3 or 4 y/o crying his eyes out and wandering down the mall. No idea why someone didn't help him sooner.
    Turned out his parents were in the anchor store (a long ways actually). We took him to the information desk (so yeah we wandered back in the direction from which he came) to wait for what we knew would be frantic parents (didn't disappoint!) The original plan was to have an announcement over the loudspeaker (but the parents showed up).
    He didn't know his last name at all which is something that hadn't really occurred to me at the time as a safety factor.
    We went right home and taught our kids home addresses, phone numbers etc just to be sure.
    These days arming your kids with a parent's cell phone number might help--"if found, please return to..."
    We always had the "if we get separated...wait RIGHT here!"

• MarianMarian Registered User Posts: 12,995 Senior Member
    Somebody's got to say the obvious:

There wouldn't have been any trouble if the person who found the child was a woman. And that's just so wrong.

Many years ago, my son (then age 2) got away from my husband in a shopping mall (it's always malls for us, too), and a woman prevented him from going on an escalator and just held him there until his dad showed up. Obviously, there was no problem at all with this. My husband was grateful for the help. But reverse the genders of the adults, and maybe there would have been a problem -- or at least concern about one.
  • gouf78gouf78 Registered User Posts: 7,099 Senior Member
    Well..another time I had to haul my tantrum stricken two year old out of the store. I actually wondered at the time why nobody stopped me while carrying out a crying, kicking kid under my arm. Maybe it was the look on my face but at the time I thought "I could be anybody and nobody would look twice."
  • jonrijonri Registered User Posts: 7,180 Senior Member
    This was the part I didn't understand:
    At the request of the city of Lakeland, Patel was issued a trespass warning.

How was he trespassing?!!
  • Iron MaidenIron Maiden Registered User Posts: 2,054 Senior Member
    I'm sorry, but if I see a lost child or a child hurt or alone needing help I'm not going to hestitate!
  • HImomHImom Registered User Posts: 32,644 Senior Member
    I always go to the aid of distressed kids and try to comfort them and re-unite them with family or wherever they belong. Kids ARE speedy and can become separated quickly. Sad when folks trying to be helped are physically and otherwise attacked.
  • oregon101oregon101 Registered User Posts: 5,136 Senior Member
    edited June 2017
    I went through a few years where it seemed all I did was find lost kids.

I would usually tell the child that we were going to stand very still and wait for his mom or dad to find us.
    If I had to I would hold their hand.

Once I was driving home from and interview in a camel straight skirt, camel high heels and white
    wool jacket. Never had looked so good! I saw two little boys about 5 on the side of this super busy
    highway throwing stones at cars. I pulled over, talked really sweet to them, got them to take me to their
    house up the muddy bank. Their mother answered and was furious at them and did not so much as look at
    me.

The there was the 18 month old in her walker in the very middle of the street. (H was not even going to stop!) I got her up the steep stairs to her house and mom answered with the vacuum running and started screaming at the 6 year old brother who was suppose to be watching her. An 18 month old in a walker in the street....?
    No thanks there either.

This guys very innocent mistake is that he walked with the kid instead of just standing and
    waiting or sending someone else to make an announcement. I worked with sexually abused
    very very young kids so I knew how to proceed. Not something most of us need to think about.
  • romanigypsyeyesromanigypsyeyes Registered User Posts: 33,721 Senior Member
    I'm a woman so I'm privileged but I will always take care of a lost child. My dad and Mr R would never think twice either.

Mr R works with toddlers every day. It's his instinct to calm a distraught child.

This is absolutely ridiculous.
    After being told Strickland’s testimony, Patel said he did not “fault” Strickland and declined to press charges for simple battery.

He's a much better person than I will ever be. I'd be pressing charges and seeing if I could sue for slander. Those stories will be on the internet forever.

I was the kid that wandered away. The worst is when I wandered away from my mom in Heathrow International at the age of 2. My mom was anything but a bad mother. I was just a bad kid. I was big for my age and was able to climb out of things easily. It got to the point where my parents just wouldn't take me places. But I'm forever grateful for the people that I'm sure helped me get back to my frantic mom.
This discussion has been closed.