Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Be Straw Free

1101112131416»

Replies to: Be Straw Free

• BunsenBurnerBunsenBurner Registered User Posts: 37,744 Senior Member
    I think the poster meant she has not seen the "refuse" included in the typical 3R US slogans.
  • TatinGTatinG Registered User Posts: 6,333 Senior Member
    90% of the plastic waste in the ocean comes from rivers in Asia and Africa.

From article in the Daily Mail reporting on research from an environmental research group in Germany.
  • jym626jym626 Registered User Posts: 56,580 Senior Member
    As many have said here the issue is plastic not straws
  • martharapmartharap Registered User Posts: 545 Member
    I haven’t read this thread from the beginning, but I’m trying to reduce my use of plastic by remembering to bring and reuse those flimsy plastic bags from home for produce. Also, not using them at all if I’m buying, let’s say, fewer than 6 of an item.

Last summer I saw an art exhibit of sculptures made exclusively of trash from the oceans of the world. Very sad; these sculptures were huge.
  • doschicosdoschicos Registered User Posts: 19,515 Senior Member
    This seems like a good, commonsense policy to me:

https://www.foodandwine.com/news/portland-oregon-plastic-staws-utensils-law-2019

"Who hasn't ordered French fries to go and watched as the guy behind the counter blindly reached into a tub of ketchup packets, grabbed as many as physically possible, and tossed a near lifetime supply into the bag. Back in the ‘90s, we called that amazing customer service! Today, we call it waste (as we probably should have all along). Plenty of places have been looking to reduce this kind of plastic waste — enacting things like increasingly-popular plastic straw bans. And last week, Portland, Oregon, passed a simple solution to cut the waste of single-use plastics: Restaurants will be required to ask if customers need these items before providing them"
  • doschicosdoschicos Registered User Posts: 19,515 Senior Member
    https://www.ozy.com/ain-navigation/pdb-93291/deadly-diet-93300

Whale Found With 88 Pounds of Plastic in Stomach
  • momo2x2018momo2x2018 Registered User Posts: 573 Member
    While I haven't seen them used here in the U.S., many places in Europe now use pasta straws - Plastic Waste v Food Waste!
  • TatinGTatinG Registered User Posts: 6,333 Senior Member
    A beachside cafe in Malibu claims to have invented the pasta straw. I ate there a few weeks ago. For cold drinks the straws work just fine. They are wide so that thick icy mixed drinks can flow through. However if the straw sits in the drink for a long time, they can get a little soft.