Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Be Straw Free

Replies to: Be Straw Free

• TranquilMindTranquilMind Registered User Posts: 1,102 Senior Member
    I don't drink sodas, so not an issue.
  • oregon101oregon101 Registered User Posts: 5,371 Senior Member
    Stainless steel straws can hurt a child's upper palate and throat if they fall on it.
    Awhile back one of the fast food places had to stop serving straws that were not bendable.
  • MomofWildChildMomofWildChild Registered User Posts: 22,526 Senior Member
    Straws aren't just for sodas, right? How much water is used to wash out these reusable straws? Trade offs for everything.
  • LBowieLBowie Registered User Posts: 1,842 Senior Member
    Just wanted to say I found a straw on the ground while walking the dog this morning and made sure to pick it up and throw it in the garbage.
  • ECmotherx2ECmotherx2 Registered User Posts: 2,087 Senior Member
    I live in a beach community and there is a serious effort to get the restaurants and bars to convert to paper straws or at least not give them out unless asked for. The plastic cups are also a huge issue with marine life.
  • IgloooIglooo Registered User Posts: 8,056 Senior Member
    Why does one need a straw in drinks with ice?
    ^^So the ice doesn't flop up and land on your shirt or in your face while your drinking the drink! Ah, yes, lids. Aren't they as much plastic as the straws?
  • IgloooIglooo Registered User Posts: 8,056 Senior Member
    edited July 2017
    ^That doesn't happen to me when I drink ice drinks. It's not being plastic. It's the shape of a plastic straw that causes problems with wild life. Zoos around here have banned straws as long as I can remember.
  • NJresNJres Registered User Posts: 6,087 Senior Member
    The prettiest girl I ever saw was sippin cider through a straw. But otherwise I rarely use them. I initially thought this thread was about seeding lawns and then spreading straw over the seeded area. Oh, that straw.
  • MommaJMommaJ Registered User Posts: 5,742 Senior Member
    I use straws solely for takeout iced coffee so the ice won't clink against my teeth and cause coffee to run down my chin. Not giving that up. Our town's recycling web page advises to include straws in our single stream recycling bins, so I bring them home, rinse them off (along with the plastic cup and lid), and bin 'em, religiously. I assume if they meant only paper straws, they would have said so--bedsides paper straws can't really be cleaned off, and I know food residue is not welcome in recycling bins. My conscience is clear. On that score, anyway...
  • lefthandofdoglefthandofdog Registered User Posts: 1,457 Senior Member
    Timely article. I've been looking for reusable straws and managed to find some plastic reusable ones that came with a long pipe cleaner. They are said to be top rack dishwasher safe, but I don't see the inside getting cleaned from that.

I love ice in my water or Diet Coke (not a coffee drinker.). Loads of ice. It keeps the drink cold and I'm getting more fluid that way - diluting the Coke is one of the perks, IMO. Just made the best purchase a cold drink lover could make - a Yeti cup. Pricey but that ice stays solid for hours in a hot car, or overnight sitting on a kitchen counter.

One thing I can do when I have plastic straws to dispose is to cut them into short pieces. I'll just add that to my solid waste management duties. Small enough price to pay, if it helps.
    When I was a kid, a lot of straws were made of paper with a red or green stripe. But now the paper straws taste weird. Did they forget how to make them, or did I forget that the 1960s paper straws also tasted weird?
  • doschicosdoschicos Registered User Posts: 19,508 Senior Member
    @lefthandofdog I've heard great things about Yeti products. With the Yeti cup, I assume a straw isn't even needed or is it?
    I use a straw with my Yeti tumbler. It still is easier to drink while driving or at work.
    I got a Yeti cup as a gift. I use it without a straw. At first I hated it because it seemed like hot drinks never cooled in it but it's grown on me, and see that as an advantage. Somehow, though, I manage to knock it over regularly with my desk chair. They need to make a sippy tippy version for me!