Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Be Straw Free

Replies to: Be Straw Free

• TatinGTatinG Registered User Posts: 6,333 Senior Member
    Good idea, dietz. I just made an appointment for teeth whitening. After that, I'm going to use straws. Using a straw would keep drinks that stain teeth, like iced tea, off the teeth.
  • MomofWildChildMomofWildChild Registered User Posts: 22,526 Senior Member
    I agree with the awareness of not wasting any resource unnecessarily or contributing to trash buildup. However, there are lots of reasons to use straws and/or lids, and I will continue to do so as I see fit.
  • PetraMCPetraMC Registered User Posts: 567 Member
    Ever since watching a huge pile of garbage wash ashore on vacation in the Caribbean, I've been more careful about unnecessary bags and straws. Before that, I knew it was a problem but it didn't hit home in quite the same way.

I'm not at zero but I'm closer than I was.

• doschicosdoschicos Registered User Posts: 19,515 Senior Member
    https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/22/climate/great-pacific-garbage-patch.html

Sobering. Obviously, this thread is not for those that don't care. For those that do and have other tips and suggestions on how they contribute to limiting their personal trash creation, I'm all ears as I'd like to continue to reduce my personal contribution.

Non-plastic straws keep stains off teeth, too, BTW. :D

• pickledgingerpickledginger Registered User Posts: 465 Member
    In addition to stainless steel straws, there are bamboo ones and some made out of some other compostable material that are available online (and at some stores).
  • HImomHImom Registered User Posts: 33,545 Senior Member
    Bring your own containers for leftover food and takeout food can help reduce trash too. This is something I can and definite rely should do. Most portions are too large unless H and I really want to split an entre.

It’s not that difficult to bring your own containers and have them in your vehicle. It’s just like bringing your own sack for purchases—just takes a shift in mindset.
  • PetraMCPetraMC Registered User Posts: 567 Member
    I spend summers in a beach community that recently banned plastic bags at stores. People were just up in arms about their personal freedoms and all sorts of things, but in the end, it was just no big deal. At all. Stores switched to paper and more and more people started bringing their own reusable bags. And the leatherback sea turtle has started making a bigger comeback. Same thing happened when they banned DDT. OH NO HOW WILL WE SURVIVE? Then eh, not really a problem.

I just do the easy stuff, tbh: reusable bags (they even sell the produce bags), aluminum water bottles, no straws (that was easy for me since I don't drink soda, so it barely even counts.)

• TatinGTatinG Registered User Posts: 6,333 Senior Member
    Reducing your trash is easy. Buy less. Don't get take out or fast food. Don't order online and get all those cardboard boxes from Amazon and others. Ditch the daily paper and read it online. Drink water. Don't drink soda or any beverage that comes in a plastic bottle.
    Yup, hitting all those already except for I do order online. But reuse/recycle. I've always wondered if it is more green to order online vs driving to stores (which aren't very close to me).

I also buy very little processed food which saves on packaging.
  • dietz199dietz199 Registered User Posts: 3,549 Senior Member
    edited April 2018
    That's it...drink water, from the tap...filtered if need be. If you're drinking a soda you've already made a solid footprint on the environment. Just consider the energy requirements to ship that bottled sugar water. Same for single serve beer/energy drinks/gatorade etc. (Wait...that means wine is more environmentally friendly than a bunch of other liquids...it's in a multi-serving container.. :-O ).

Get a soda stream. Squirt in some juice from some sort of fresh fruit. Done. Get tap water at a restaurant...the good one's will filter it if the city supply is somewhat less than palatable.

Drink coffee at home instead of getting a whappa-frappa-dapa with whip cream drink. Goodness, how would you attack one of those things without a straw. You'd have caramel cream in your hair.
    Obviously, this thread is not for those that don't care

Yes, every little bit helps. So just because one still uses straws, another can not conclude that the straw user doesn't care.

BTW...garbage and trash disposal is a very cultural thing..travel to parts of South America and you will find it is culturally encouraged to just throw stuff out of the car window. It is okay to leave the baby diapers and empty takeout containers at the local picnic place. When it comes to litter and environmentally sensitive behavior, on a personal level, we as a country are way ahead of the game.

The straw thing reeks of attempts to signal moral superiority.
    "When it comes to litter and environmentally sensitive behavior, on a personal level, we as a country are way ahead of the game."

Sure, it's relative but we can do better. Many European countries in contrast are way ahead of us. It's amazing how much they recycle and eliminate packaging.

"The straw thing reeks of attempts to signal moral superiority."

I don't see it as such. The intention is that it is a very easy change to make for many because 1. often straws aren't needed (restaurants around me will put them in a glass of tap water automatically for example) and 2. when they are needed or wanted, there are non-plastic options.

Again, if it doesn't work for you, feel free to ignore and carry on doing your own thing or reducing trash in other ways.
    I suspect all of you with these great ideas are also the first ones to have a fit when companies lay off workers because sales are down.... But it's all the fault of the greedy CEOs, right?
    Not catching your point, @MomofWildChild, or the connection to the thread. Whose jobs are you worried about, the straw manufacturers or the plastic producers? And CEOs come in where?
    Don't order online, don't drink sodas, don't go to coffee shops.....don't be a consumer.
  • kjofkwkjofkw Registered User Posts: 823 Member
    Haven't read all 6 pages, but they did make paper straws once upon a time.