Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Be Straw Free

Replies to: Be Straw Free

• yearstogoyearstogo Registered User Posts: 601 Member
    Our family took a vacation in Thailand a few years ago and when the winds shifted it was terrible to see all of the plastic floating in the water. Stories on the amounts of plastic floating in the oceans are sobering. Thanks for posting this thread @doschicos
  • oregon101oregon101 Registered User Posts: 5,374 Senior Member
    Floral Paper Straws (85 Pack)-100% Biodegradable, Excellent Quality,Trendy & Beautiful Paper Straws for All Occasions (Jumbo Size)--Amazon
    Fabulous, use them in hot or cold drinks. Last for hours.
  • Nrdsb4Nrdsb4 Registered User Posts: 16,443 Senior Member
    edited April 2018
    I don't really ever use straws. But I was wondering if the plastic ones can go in the recycle bin. Hopefully, this hasn't already been addressed in the thread.
  • pishicacapishicaca Registered User Posts: 193 Junior Member
    Related but one that bugs me even more...the little plastic coffee stir sticks. they are used for less than 10 seconds to mix up a cup and then discarded. It pains me to watch the waste occurring as people prepare their joe to go.

A very smart shop near me takes dry fettuccine noodles, breaks them into fourths and places them out in a cup to be used as stir sticks. I about fell over dumbfounded with the solution when I first saw it. No plastic and probably even cheaper for them. Simple and elegant...typically the best kind of answer to any problem.
  • doschicosdoschicos Registered User Posts: 19,511 Senior Member
    @Nrdsb4 That came up back on page 2 but here's the answer I gave at the time based on what I've read:

"plastic straws are not recyclable. Plastic straws are made from polypropylene, which is a byproduct of petroleum, a fossil fuel that requires an incredible amount of energy and natural resources to extract and refine. Polypropylene is identifiable by the resin identification code 5 and is commonly recyclable, just often not in drinking straw format. Size is the biggest barrier to straw recycling. As plastic travels down conveyor belts while being sorted, small items like bottle caps and straws fall through the cracks and end up being sent to the landfill. As of right now there aren’t many (if any) special straw-recycling facilities either, which means when you use a straw, you know that plastic will sit in a landfill for years to come."

https://livegreen.recyclebank.com/because-you-asked-what-s-so-bad-about-plastic-straws
  • Nrdsb4Nrdsb4 Registered User Posts: 16,443 Senior Member
    @doschicos, thank you. Sorry for the duplicate question.
  • BunsenBurnerBunsenBurner Registered User Posts: 37,727 Senior Member
    What's wrong with wooden stirrers? It is not like they are made of old-growth forest...
    No problem.

I wish the USA had a better recycling system. We spent some time last year living in rentals in different parts of Italy and their recycling system is so thorough that the percentage that we didn't recycle was less than 5%.

In Sweden, recycling of household waste is even higher. 99% according to this article.
    https://www.globalcitizen.org/en/content/sweden-garbage-waste-recycling-energy/
    As good as recycling is, just reducing in the first place is even better especially now with the point you are making, @BunsenBurner.
  • ScipioScipio Registered User Posts: 8,782 Senior Member
    Just as soon as restaurants and and fast food joints start providing paper straws I'll be happy to choose them over plastic. But as long as plastic is still the only straw they provide, that's the one I'm going to use. I haven't seen a paper straw in a restaurant since the 1960s.
  • TatinGTatinG Registered User Posts: 6,333 Senior Member
    I wonder if restaurants provide straws because it's so difficult to get lipstick smudges off the rims of glasses.

I usually have to hand wash my glasses to get the lipstick off.
    edited April 2018
    "Just as soon as restaurants and and fast food joints start providing paper straws I'll be happy to choose them over plastic."

One can let restaurants they frequent often know that. Sometimes changes need to be consumer driven, unfortunately.

There's a local ice cream shop in my town that still uses styrofoam cups. I and others have brought it up with them several times. They don't want to change. I know longer frequent their shop and take my business elsewhere.

Speaking of ice cream, it's free Ben & Jerry's day! :)
    *no longer frequent #-o
  • BunsenBurnerBunsenBurner Registered User Posts: 37,727 Senior Member
    Do you buy your ice cream in a waffle or wafer cone then? Because paper cups suitable for contact with foods and beverages have a thin lining of polymer that prevents them from being composted. Big problem for Starbucks. So big that they are investing major $$$ into creating a truly compostable coffee cup.