Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Be Straw Free

doschicosdoschicos Registered User Posts: 19,133 Senior Member
I hadn't really thought about this unthreading this article earlier in the week. Such a small thing to do that adds up. I've gone straw free.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/health-science/a-campaign-to-eliminate-plastic-straws-is-sucking-in-thousands-of-converts/2017/06/24/d53f70cc-4c5a-11e7-9669-250d0b15f83b_story.html?

Replies to: Be Straw Free

• doschicosdoschicos Registered User Posts: 19,133 Senior Member
    *until reading
  • HImomHImom Registered User Posts: 32,670 Senior Member
    Sorry--can't read due to paywall.
  • collage1collage1 Registered User Posts: 1,482 Senior Member
    I've gone almost fully straw free for environmental reasons for awhile now. Exceptions are when I purchase a drink for consumption in the car, etc. but, you're right: it's an easy, very low pain way to help. (I don't subscribe to the WP so I could only read the headline and see the picture but have read what I believe the article is about before.)
  • IgloooIglooo Registered User Posts: 7,882 Senior Member
    I didn't know people still use a straw. We've been straw free for a long time. Can't remember the last time I used one.
    For those without WaPo access, here are some other links about the program started by a boy who was 9 years old at the time:

http://www.ecocycle.org/bestrawfree

https://www.nps.gov/commercialservices/greenline_straw_free.htm

p.s. If you have Amazon Prime, you can get a free 6 month online subscription to the Washington Post.
  • sylvan8798sylvan8798 Registered User Posts: 6,556 Senior Member
    collage1 wrote:
    've gone almost fully straw free for environmental reasons for awhile now. Exceptions are when I purchase a drink for consumption in the car, etc. but, you're right: it's an easy, very low pain way to help.
    I use straws in drinks with ice because I have sensitive teeth, so it would not be "low pain" for me. Is there a good alternative?
  • HImomHImom Registered User Posts: 32,670 Senior Member
    I'd be fine without straws if we didn't get so much ice in our cups that when you drink them the ice clips together and you end up with drink on your shirt. Just cold water with little or no ice would suit me just fine. Even room temp water us better than the dreaded clump of ice.
    My husband usual requests no ice.
  • MomofWildChildMomofWildChild Registered User Posts: 22,399 Senior Member
    I do a lot to help the environment, but I like my straws!
  • MaineLonghornMaineLonghorn Super Moderator Posts: 36,286 Super Moderator
    Cold drinks without ice? Ick. I had a hard time in Europe, where they don't seem to believe in ice. Lukewarm Coke!
    Most cold drinks in the USA are already very cold without ice. And you get more beverage for your $ :)

@MomofWildChild Some options are going back to biodegradable paper straws or using reusable straws.
  • Nrdsb4Nrdsb4 Registered User Posts: 16,123 Senior Member
    I didn't know people still use a straw.

You seriously never see people walking around with their soda cups with straws in them?

I don't use straws, but I'm certainly aware others do.
  • sarhasarha Registered User Posts: 273 Junior Member
    We also use the stainless steel straws. I think they're great.
  • MomofWildChildMomofWildChild Registered User Posts: 22,399 Senior Member
    I get straws in restaurants. I can't control what they provide. I re-use straws at home- usually the nice plastic ones from Sonic.