Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

TV in the Dorms

2»

Replies to: TV in the Dorms

• musicprntmusicprnt Registered User Posts: 6,253 Senior Member
    I looked at Medicomm's website, I think when they talked about a digital tuner they meant a cable card, @uwalummom, it looks like mediacomms service is encrypted digital, which is not surprising (among other things, to maximize bandwidth, most cable providers are compressing a lot of the channels, and the cable box or cable card is needed not just decrypting it, but also decompressing it). They say you will need either a cable card or a cable box to use the tv service.

"A digital converter or a cable card on subscriber owned device required". As someone pointed out, most tv's made in the last 10 years have digital tuners, but that won't work on many/most cable systems directly.
  • cobratcobrat Registered User Posts: 12,285 Senior Member

It sounds like you just use a coaxial cable and connect the TV

What's a TV?

Heh!

I actually got into a heated argument with an aunt because she insisted I "needed" a TV in my dormroom not too long before I started college and even offered me one.

I stood my ground and yep....never needed a TV in my dormroom for my entire undergrad. Got my entertainment from going out of my dormroom for ECs and otherwise interacting with/hanging out with college classmates.
2»
This discussion has been closed.