right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
We’ve got a new look! Walk through the key updates here.

The Home Improvement Thread

Replies to: The Home Improvement Thread

• momofsenior1momofsenior1 5898 replies29 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 5,927 Senior Member
    @BunsenBurner - I love the tile!

@musicmom1215 It's difficult to retrofit a pocket door but if the wall is already coming down, then it will work. Barn doors tend to be easier to install if the walls aren't coming down.
    · Reply · Share
  • menloparkmommenloparkmom 12387 replies534 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 12,921 Senior Member
    edited May 22
    @musicmom1215
    re adding a pocket door to a bathroom- you can't put one in a wall where the toilet or shower vent stack to the roof is located.
    But if it is going on another wall, one without those vents, I highly recommend doing it, as long as you order solid wood pocket doors from a door manufacturer, as coralbrook did in one of her flips. I have 4 solid wood pocket doors in my home, 3 of which are in bathrooms, which I will never replace with a standard swinging door.
    a cheap, hollow pocket door will warp, will not last or will come off the tract.
    edited May 22
    · Reply · Share
  • emilybeeemilybee 13130 replies35 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 13,165 Senior Member
    @BunsenBurner,

I like this tile much better than your first pick - but that is probably because I’m not a fan of pop of color in any room.

Re barn door. Just no! It reeks of Fixer Upper!
    · Reply · Share
  • momtogkcmomtogkc 670 replies18 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 688 Member
    I hate the accordion door too but we have never gotten around to changing it and I still want something to keep the light out when I sleep so it's there for now. Only other time I had even seen a door like this was at my college rental house that was in upstate NY - everything was strange up there so it was not as big a deal. :wink:

I thought about the barn door, it doesn't really fit our style but it might be the best option when we ever get around to changing it. I think it might be too much work to add a pocket door, having to rip down the wall and all that. We do have pocket doors in other parts of the house and I love them. Oh well, this is so low down on our list we probably won't get to it for a long time.
    · Reply · Share
  • BunsenBurnerBunsenBurner 38243 replies463 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 38,706 Senior Member
    Fixer upper? Why? There are $5M new construction houses here built with barn doors. Some of that hardware is very $$$$. It really depends on how it looks and fits the overall design.
    · Reply · Share
  • momofsenior1momofsenior1 5898 replies29 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 5,927 Senior Member
    I think the reference was to "Fixer Upper" the show on HGTV ; )
    · Reply · Share
  • BunsenBurnerBunsenBurner 38243 replies463 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 38,706 Senior Member
    I got the reference. The show indeed was focusing on, well... fixer uppers. Just saying that barn doors do not necessarily reek of that show. :) The homes we peeked at (well above our paying abilities!!) were new and gorgeous. It all depends.
    · Reply · Share
    Ah, got it @BunsenBurner.

I agree that barn doors seem to be a high end feature in our area too. We considered adding one to our own home but it wouldn't have fit well with the age and style of the home.
    · Reply · Share
  • emilybeeemilybee 13130 replies35 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 13,165 Senior Member
    @BunsenBurner, we will just have to agree to disagree about barn doors. That and shiplap need to just go away!
    · Reply · Share
    If light is a problem, a barn door might not be a good solution no matter how aesthetically great it is.

Shiplap is fine... I am not a fan of it because its grooves can collect dust. What I absolutely don't like is the fake "reclaimed wood" everything. :)
    · Reply · Share
  • notrichenoughnotrichenough 9084 replies32 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 9,116 Senior Member
    Too much brown in that tile for my taste, plus I am not a huge mid-century modern fan.

I have an accordion door on a closet that is made from wood, which is interesting. It's not clear how to paint it because of all the moving and flexing parts.
    · Reply · Share
    Ok folks, I am telling my Mr. that my imaginary friends aka CC approved the tile selection! I think the mirrors will be the pop of color by themselves. We will use some fun tile color scheme in the guest bath that is in desperate need of updating. :) Thank you all!
    · Reply · Share
  • 1214mom1214mom 4408 replies176 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 4,584 Senior Member
    @BunsenBurner, I think the new tile pick is “fine,” but not nearly as noticable/nice as the bright blue. It looks like something I’d pick (kind of boring and “understated”) - People won’t hate it but they won’t love it either.
    · Reply · Share
  • busyparentbusyparent 984 replies42 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 1,026 Senior Member
    Bunsen, I like the idea of it vertical but think it's a little dark. FWIW, I'm in the school of not liking pops of color or barn doors.
    · Reply · Share
  • musicmom1215musicmom1215 2634 replies54 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 2,688 Senior Member
    edited May 22
    I prefer my pops of colors in temporary things like paint and fabric. To me, permanent and expensive fixtures like counter tops and tile should be fairly neutral. In a bathroom, I prefer to add a pop of color with towels and rugs.

That being said, my head wants a plain, subway tile back splash, but my heart is drawn to all the beautiful colors! I'm just afraid I'll get tired of it or it will be dated before the thinset dries!
    edited May 22
    · Reply · Share