Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

The Home Improvement Thread

Replies to: The Home Improvement Thread

• BunsenBurnerBunsenBurner Registered User Posts: 38,640 Senior Member
    edited May 22
    Again, thank you all! I think dark is OK. The countertop is the color of the darkest brown in the tile, and the floor is like the lightest natural stone in the tile. The shower is a mix of the two stones. The bathroom is small but has a skylight and a window, so lots of natural light. The tile will go on the wall where there will be two 42"X42" edge-lit mirrors, so only a relatively narrow strip of tile will be shown around the mirrors. I only need about 25 sft of the tile thank goodness.
  • busyparentbusyparent Registered User Posts: 1,022 Senior Member
    Sounds great then
  • coralbrookcoralbrook Registered User Posts: 7,701 Senior Member
    Just going to weigh in on the doors:)

Pocket doors are a great solution for tight entries. If the pocket door is getting installed inside a bathroom remodel project it can be done easily because most of the walls should be torn off for waterproofing reasons, etc. You cannot install where the 'pocket' goes into a shower or bath wall that has any plumbing. Also, any electrical in the wall such as switches or outlets have to be moved. Thats the hidden cost that always bites.

I prefer a pocket door to barn door for a bathroom. A barn door does not close tight over the door. There is always a 1 to 2 inch offset for the sliding hardware. So, light, sounds and smell are coming right out. Does not provide privacy in any way.

I use upgraded Johnson pocket door frames that have really good heavy duty sliding hardware. Handles are difficult because you either get the standard square handle at Home Depot or fancy. There is nothing in between. The fancy big handles are expensive and harder to cut the exact holes into the doors
    Phew... got the tile and the supplies for the job. Watched a ton of YouTube tile install videos. Off we go! :)
  • notrichenoughnotrichenough Registered User Posts: 9,081 Senior Member
    Good luck, BB!
    Thanks! :) I will have to get a Flickr account if the project is successful - for shameless brags. ;)
  • TiggerDadTiggerDad Registered User Posts: 1,879 Senior Member
    Would love to see the results!
  • rutgersmammarutgersmamma Registered User Posts: 567 Member
    I'd like to update my kitchen. Prefer to utilize my current cabinets (maple) and have them painted white, get new countertops, preferably quartz, maybe a tile backsplash and all new appliances using the same footprint/layout of my kitchen. The big question mark for me is the soffit. I don't think the soffit holds anything big like venting, etc.--just electric lines that can go up into the attic.

Big Question: Can the soffit be removed and still utilize the existing cabinets? I've seen it done in magazines with small cabinets added in place of the soffit, not sure if this is really doable.

...Any thoughts/experience related to removing the soffit and still utilizing the old cabinets?
  • notrichenoughnotrichenough Registered User Posts: 9,081 Senior Member
    edited May 27
    You can just leave it as open space above the cabinets, and use it for a shelf to put decorations on. You can add a piece of crown molding around the front and sides of the cabinet to dress it up. Some people don't like the look of the open space, but IMO squeezing some short cabinets in there will look weird.

You will be opening a can of worms if you take it the soffit. It will mess up the ceiling, there probably won't be finished wall or ceiling where the soffit was, and you might find a vent stack or something else in there that you don't about until you open it up.

How big is the soffit?
  • SilpatSilpat Registered User Posts: 1,293 Senior Member
    @rutgersmamma , do you mean something like this? https://www.crowncabinets.com//File/Image/m/898/898/b5562fd4-9039-4da4-a123-1a65c63f13a6

I've seen short cabinets, often with glass doors for displaying pretty pottery or glassware, installed above standard height cabinets. I recall seeing it done on some HGTV shows, too.

There's a cabinet refinishing franchise in our area that specializes in retrofitting. They remove old trash compactors and kitchen desks then replace them with drawer stacks to match the existing cabinets. They also install additional upper cabinets to reach the ceiling. Maybe there's a similar kitchen cabinet company near you that could provide a free quote and some design suggestions. The folks near us have painters on staff but sub out carpentry, electrical, plumbing, drywall, tile, etc. so they can handle the entire project.
  • momofsenior1momofsenior1 Registered User Posts: 5,801 Senior Member
    We took out the soffits when we redid the kitchen but we took it down to the studs and rebuilt. We did not put cabinets all the way up to the ceiling as we have really tall ceilings on our first floor. We have 42 in cabinets with a crown molding and then just a space between the top of the cabinets and the ceiling. I think it looks just fine. I already can't get to the top two shelves of my cabinets as I'm short so it wouldn't be convenient, usable storage for me.

edited May 27
    I know you are impatiently waiting for my tiling report... sorry, this 80 degree weather derailed my bath project. Mr. B decided that the days would be better spent outside. So here I am, veggin' on the deck after hours of pulling weeds out of the ravine and carrying them up the hill. Phew...
    edited May 27
    Update: 56 bags of mulch down, veggie and herb garden planted, a bunch more perennials and annuals in the ground. We also took care of fixing a broken opening under the sunporch and did work inside the sunporch. Feels really good to have the yard looking more presentable! We didn't get to any of the painting projects because it's been raining on and off but we are making good progress.
  • mom60mom60 Registered User Posts: 8,195 Senior Member
    @momofsenior1 I bet your garden is going to look beautiful.
    I have a pile of landscaping books I’ve borrowed but I’ve done nothing but flip the pages.
    My D is in the market for blinds for her house. When they painted they removed the tired stuff that came with the house. The weather is getting hot and they need to get something on the windows. Where is a great place to get inexpensive blinds that are also good to keep the heat out. I think they have 15 windows plus a slider.
    The garden is getting there. Today's project was stripping and repainting an old metal table and bench. Table came out great. Bench is horrible and needs to be replaced but for $4 worth of paint, it was worth a shot.

@mom60 We've had good luck with blinds at blinds dot com. All kinds of price points and great customer service. They will send out free samples of colors/swatches as well.