right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
We have changed the way we log in on College Confidential. Read more here.

Parents going back to college

Replies to: Parents going back to college

• LizardlyLizardly 2511 replies11 threads Senior Member
    Good semester here! I took one hard prof with a big rep and did very well in her class, one not as hard but smart and personable prof and did well in his. I am applying to the masters program. My biggest fear is not finishing. We might move or our lives might go in a different direction (i.e. traveling more). But hey, I'll regret not starting more than not finishing.

Oldmom, I hear ya about learning to be a modern grad student. The tech part is exciting but daunting.
    · Reply · Share
  • VeryHappyVeryHappy 18622 replies326 threads Senior Member
    I'll regret not starting more than not finishing.

I love this.
    · Reply · Share
  • BearHouseBearHouse 462 replies1 threads Member
    @oldmom4896 My mom is an LCSW and still working 3 days a week at the age of 83. She sometimes forgets a few things but wisdom from living makes up for a little slower thinking.
    · Reply · Share
  • NASA2014NASA2014 2332 replies129 threads Senior Member
    My mom passed statistics with a B+.
    · Reply · Share
  • GTalumGTalum 3062 replies25 threads Senior Member
    I did well this last semester. 3 A's though had a very frustrating class with the Statistics professor. She was a terrible teacher and I like statistics! But never clear what she wanted from us or really what she wanted us to learn. IRB application is almost ready to be submitted.

@oldmom4896 I am doing better learning modern technology but I still struggle with my formatting!
    · Reply · Share
    Just checking in to see how everyone is doing. The summer session is tough for me. I have a challenging class with material meant for 14 weeks compressed to 12 weeks. Plus, multiple roadblocks getting my data. With working full time, just a weekend away puts me behind. Like this weekend, I'm going to my niece's wedding and trying to get ahead of work. Yes, computers can travel but I also need to see family. Hope everyone is having a great summer.
    · Reply · Share
  • oldmom4896oldmom4896 3907 replies291 threads Senior Member
    Thanks for checking in, and good luck, @GTalum. I am taking a class that started the Wednesday after Memorial Day and ends on Monday, 7/2. Four-hour classes twice a week and, of course, accelerated reading and writing assignments. The subject matter, alcohol and addiction, is fascinating and the class is tiny and interesting. But I will be very happy when it's over next Monday!

I took the class now so I will only have three classes in the fall semester, plus three days (up from two last year) of fieldwork.
    · Reply · Share
  • LizardlyLizardly 2511 replies11 threads Senior Member
    No summer classes, but one prof keeps sending me reading for the fall...
    · Reply · Share
    I finished the summer semester and imagine @oldmom4896 is done as well. Wow, that was hard. 2 more semesters to go.
    · Reply · Share
    Yes, summer done! Classes start again on August 27, and fieldwork mid-September. Commencement May 24!
    · Reply · Share
    So how's the new semester? So far, so good for me! I love that my coursework is more specialized than the prerequisite first-year courses last year. And one of my classes is SO GOOD! Fieldwork starts on Thursday and I'm ready! (I think.)
    · Reply · Share
    Summer was so stressful! But not so much this semester. It's mostly working on my project. My research went through IRB! I have a second IRB presentation tomorrow. Then I get to collect and analyze data. Not so much learning new things this semester. It's OK, I needed a breather. So glad you are enjoying your classes @oldmom4896
    · Reply · Share
    I know you have a lot on your plate, @gtalum! A breather sounds good.
    · Reply · Share
  • austinmshauriaustinmshauri 9086 replies337 threads Senior Member
    I'm glad you guys are enjoying your semester so far. I'm in my 3rd comp sci class and it's so much fun. I don't sleep much because I also have a full-time job, but I'm making it a point to eat well and hit the gym a couple times a week this semester. I'm finding that I have more energy than in previous semesters and I don't seem to need as much sleep as I did.
    · Reply · Share
    Yes @austinmshauri. I find work/life balance is impossible with a full time job plus school.
    · Reply · Share
  • verucaveruca 1304 replies91 threads Senior Member
    I am into the program part of my major. I am going to Occupational Therapy Assistant School. There is a ton of work -none of it super hard just lots of it. I am the oldest in my program. There are loads of kids that already have a four year degree in something, but were having trouble getting a job they liked.
    · Reply · Share
  • NorthernMom61NorthernMom61 4179 replies30 threads Senior Member
    Going to school and working is a challange, I am so impressed with your effort and joy for learning.
    · Reply · Share