right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Parents going back to college

Replies to: Parents going back to college

• oldmom4896oldmom4896 3834 replies286 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 4,120 Senior Member
    Ugh, last 2 papers due at midnight Monday with another due at 6:45 pm Monday just before my last class. I am stressed to the max but so glad it's almost over. Classes don't start for next (and final) semester until 1/28 but I only have 2 weeks off (Christmas week and New Year's week) from my customary 3 days/week of fieldwork but I will need to work Christmas Eve to finish my hours for the semester. Bah humbug!
    · Reply · Share
  • BunsenBurnerBunsenBurner 38444 replies465 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 38,909 Senior Member
    Great job, everyone!!
    · Reply · Share
  • NorthernMom61NorthernMom61 4090 replies29 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 4,119 Senior Member
    Hang in there all!
    · Reply · Share
  • GTalumGTalum 3044 replies25 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 3,069 Senior Member
    @oldmom4896 I'm struggling with my clinical hours as well. It't not really "clinical" since I do that for my job, but professional hours. Which is why I am running around doing power point presentations.
    · Reply · Share
  • verucaveruca 1304 replies91 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 1,395 Senior Member
    edited December 2018
    I finished the first semester of my program. It is strange sometimes as a 52 year old woman- I feel like the instructors don't always make good choices and I have a hard time not calling them out on it. (They are too punitive instead of uplifting in my opinion)

I am enjoying having a cohort! There are 18 of us in my community college program and I feel like we were an instant family. Today I need to box up all my rented textbooks to send back tomorrow.
    edited December 2018
    · Reply · Share
  • LizardlyLizardly 2489 replies11 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 2,500 Senior Member
    Finished writing my papers! It was fun, but I am taking fewer classes at a time from now on. I need more time for my grown up life.
    · Reply · Share
  • raclutraclut 3686 replies233 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 3,919 Senior Member
    edited December 2018
    I applaud all the amazing stories on this thread. You are all very inspiring. It is very hard to go back to school at a later stage in life. My daughter graduated in May and I at 50 am contemplating going back. The ? is does my brain still function?

In my late 30's I worked fulltime raised my daughter and was working on my Master's degree in IT PM.
    Now I am looking to do something just for me. I need to figure out what it is. All I know is that I want to focus on myself and be the best that I can be.
    edited December 2018
    · Reply · Share
  • oldmom4896oldmom4896 3834 replies286 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 4,120 Senior Member
    @raclut, I graduated from college in 1971, and my first semester of graduate school in 2017 was really, really hard--a gigantic adjustment. But adjusted I did, and now I am kind of sad that all the skills I have developed as a 21st-century student will be added to the collection of antique computer coding was really good at!
    · Reply · Share
  • LizardlyLizardly 2489 replies11 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 2,500 Senior Member
    @bgbg4us Do it! Super fun, sometimes hard, always educational. I make all kinds of silly mistakes because I don't know the tech, but I am more relaxed about grades and more open to just learning.
    · Reply · Share
  • verucaveruca 1304 replies91 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 1,395 Senior Member
    @bgbg4us , and @raclut I do feel like I have to study more than some one the youngins. However I am much more disciplined than I was the first time around. I thought I would be out of touch with technology - but sometimes they ask me for help. I love going to school with tech. Powerpoints, and google docs and online class info makes it much easier to know what is going on.
    · Reply · Share
    @veruca, I agree--Googledocs, sheets, calendar, keep, etc. are all amazing tools.
    · Reply · Share
  • GTalumGTalum 3044 replies25 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 3,069 Senior Member
    edited December 2018
    @raclut I was worried about my brain functioning as well at the age of 57, but it really does seem to work just as well, if not better at my age. Writing takes me longer, but not because I'm a less good writer, it's because I now know what good writing is, and I work multiple drafts so I can create something that is both meaningful and readable. Both my parents have dementia, and I refuse to go down without a fight to preserve my brain. Though I do find, myself and 2 other older students (4/24 are over 55) are some of the better writers in the class.

@bgbg4us my husband directs a graduate liberal studies program at a major University. He has students of all ages, from those just out of undergrad to those retired from their current job.

@veruca and @oldmom4896 Love the technology too. I spent all weekend on a power point for a 1 hour podium presentation in March. So much functionality and the time passed quickly because it's fun! Learning a reference data base system (I use Zotero and DH uses Endnote) was my biggest leap and I don't know what I would do without it. Remember references on index cards and trying to type footnotes and proper reference format on the typewriter? (so much whiteout!) I do seem to get points taken out always for APA format :(
    edited December 2018
    · Reply · Share
    @gtalum, after struggling with APA, I am a champ! I compose all my papers in Google Docs and only convert them to MS Word just before submitting. PM me if you'd like me to look something over and I'd be happy to share my tips about references and citations. FWIW, the Purdue OWL website has recently been redone and it's better:
    https://owl.purdue.edu/owl/research_and_citation/apa_style/apa_style_introduction.html
    · Reply · Share
  • raclutraclut 3686 replies233 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 3,919 Senior Member
    edited December 2018
    Thanks all for being so encouraging. I am just trying to imagine myself with these supersmart high stat kids that pick up things so quickly and I fear I will be lost and behind. I am going to pick up a book on artificial intelligence and learn more about that from the library.
    edited December 2018
    · Reply · Share
  • austinmshauriaustinmshauri 8571 replies315 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 8,886 Senior Member
    I took a math class over the 3 week winter break. The final was the day after my spring comp sci course started. But I'm having fun.
    · Reply · Share