Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Parents going back to college

GTalumGTalum Registered User Posts: 2,684 Senior Member
My youngest has been out of college for 2 years. Somehow, I'm not feeling the life with an eye towards retirement and am enrolling this fall to get my doctorate (I have a master's and a post-masters certification). Perhaps it's because I have parents with dementia and I feel I need to continue not only the life of the mind, but to contribute to the world with meaningful research. I will also continue to work full time and take 6-9 credits per semester. Anyone else go back to school? Perhaps you should talk me out of it.

Replies to: Parents going back to college

• HImomHImom Registered User Posts: 29,534 Senior Member
    My mom went back for her master's in sprcial ed just before my older sister started. She used the money she earned to help with college expenses for us. She was a model student, earning top grades and seemed to enjoy the experience.

My friend got her PhD while being in charge of and teaching the CC paralegal program in our state. She worked full time plus the PhD load.

I admire those who do this and have flirted with it myself.
  • NorthernMom61NorthernMom61 Registered User Posts: 2,981 Senior Member
    Not going to talk you out of it, but rather say, go for it. Took three graduate level courses as refresher and for recertification rather than the relatively easier CEU programs, and while it was a lot of work in addition to working full time, it was also very stimulating and I learned a lot. I was really proud of the projects that I did too. Best of luck.
  • oneofthosemomsoneofthosemoms Registered User Posts: 277 Junior Member
    I'm embarking on master's #2 this fall. I haven't been making the best use of my free time since my S went to college so I'd like to be more productive. I had one parent who stayed physically and mentally active throughout life and didn't develop dementia; the other parent the opposite. I know that's not a guarantee for my future but I'd like to try the path that had the more positive result.
  • ChuckleDoodleChuckleDoodle Registered User Posts: 719 Member
    @GTalum - go for it! It's great and crazy at the same time. I've been in school since 2013 (completing my B.S. and M.S.) and hope to have my PhD completed by 2020.
  • BunsenBurnerBunsenBurner Registered User Posts: 32,531 Senior Member
    Want to give a huge shoutout to @oldmom4896 after seeing her recent post about going back to school. Way to go!!!

(Speaking of typing... I am a pen and paper gal. I am not the fastest typist... but I managed to beat more than 90% of my younger classmates who typed lightening fast. B-) )
  • jrcsmomjrcsmom Registered User Posts: 927 Member
    I finished my MBA/MS program the same year my son finished HS.

I occasionally look into going back for my doctorate, but haven't done it yet. My son's finishing his BS in December, maybe then it's my turn to go back.
  • GTalumGTalum Registered User Posts: 2,684 Senior Member
    edited September 13
    5 weeks into my program. It's going OK but I really have a steep learning curve to improve my research skills with multiple data bases and different search terms. Perhaps folks can help suggest their best data base organizer and other APN formatting tools. It is fun @veruca to have my cited works done so easily! Wonderful @oldmom4896 You are an inspiration. An MSW is a challenging program.
  • CountingDownCountingDown Registered User Posts: 12,415 Senior Member
    @oldmom4896, I see a LCSW-C who is 71. She sees this as a career she can continue for as long as she wants.

Way to go, all of you!
  • katliamomkatliamom Registered User Posts: 11,218 Senior Member
    You're all amazing and inspiring!
  • KKmamaKKmama Registered User Posts: 2,757 Senior Member
    edited September 13
    I just started filling out applications for a one year residency for post graduate certification (chaplain) next fall. 40+ hours a week of combined classroom and clinical. But it also pays a salary! I'll be 60 when I finish the program, and then need 2000 supervised hours before certification.